Author Topic: 2003 Super 9 LC no spark  (Read 2190 times)

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
2003 Super 9 LC no spark
« on: November 06, 2014, 07:39:32 PM »
I took off all the plastic and have been checking down the list in the service manual.  I am not good with multimeter, so having some issues there.  Anyway, I am learning some new stuff, which is fun.

So far this is what I have checked:  (1) sparkplug OK, installed new one, still no spark (2) checked CDI unit, multimeter doesn't do anything with CDI, don't know if CDI bad or multimeter bad (3) checked coil and plug wire, coil appears maybe OK, but didn't get any continuity from coil to plug cap or end of plug wire, maybe OK and multimeter just bonkers (4) checked AC generator and got bad readings, again not sure if bad multimeter or not, (5) checked ignition switch and appears OK, (6) checked fuses, appear OK, I think fuses are in the little cylinders, right?, the ones on the box are just spares, right?

Someone  posted that when starting with kick starter, don't need to hold brakes.  Actually, have to put scooter on center stand to use kick starter, i.e. center stand is in the way if up.  So, I didn't check brakes, but I was using rear brakes when kick starting anyway and no spark.  There appears to be a switch that is actuated when the center stand is up, I guess has something to do with starting, IDK.

I am debating what to do next.  Go buy another multimeter?  Pull the stator?  Start checking wiring continuity all over the scooter?  If I just start replacing parts, the stator would probably be a part to replace, plus CDI, and coil.  If the pulser is bad, appears have to buy the whole stator right?

I am thinking even if I buy some parts I don't need, plus some tools, still maybe about the same as taking it to the shop.  I did call the shop and sounds expensive, plus a huge hassle to get scooter there and back.  So for now, I think I will continue to try to fix it myself.

Also, I did a search and found a guy with Agility 125 that had the same problem and I was basically going down the same path behind him.  He gave it his best, but eventually gave-up and took it to the shop.  Was great for me to read post, was huge encouragement for me, because in the end he figured out he could have fixed it himself if he had just gone a little farther.

Cheers

1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
Re: 2003 Super 9 LC no spark
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 05:24:10 PM »
I've only had spark issues once and it was a wire had broken away from my coil.  I just wrapped it around the post until I got home.  Not that this is your issue,  but bad readings at the coil to plug cap would be the place where I investigate further,  maybe a new cheap voltmeter.
I'm no professional,  just self taught,  fyi
Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 03:54:44 AM »
Thanks for reply.  I did figure out cheap multimeter is not adequate to check the electronics on this scooter.  I was told an adequate instrument would be approx $300, in fact many shops have hand held diagnostic scanners costing approx $10,000.  The problem is accuracy, a cheap multimeter will only read 0.0 ohms, many of the ranges to check for are 0.000 range.

I gave up on testing.  I going to buy some parts and start replacing stuff until I find what's broken.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 04:55:03 PM »
Still not running but I am having some luck getting it to come to life.  I put in a new battery and it has spark, cranks, but still doesn't run.  I had someone tell me on another forum, had to have battery installed to get spark.  I didn't think that was the case, but maybe so?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 09:08:20 PM »
Those cheap multimeters do a great job of testing the basic electronic components!!! You kinda of have to know what your looking for most of the time otherwise you'll run into what happened where you get numbers you don't know if its good or bad. The CDI has to have a special CDI tester unfortunately because of the solid state electronics inside don't have just a basic resistance to check. 
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()