Author Topic: Changing the gear oil  (Read 6984 times)

scooterman

• View Profile
Changing the gear oil
« on: October 20, 2009, 12:46:48 AM »
I have a GV 250 I'm try to change the gear Oil on it i see the manual say to use sae90 gear oil all i see in the auto stores is sae80w-90 is this the same thing as sae90 ? I took the plug out today to check it the oil level and the oil started to pour out so I plug it back right away . Should it be like that I though the top plug is for checking and the bottom plug is for draining . Well I need some help from you Guys Please .

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: Changing the gear oil
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 01:33:31 AM »
I have always used the 80w-90.  I believe that the 80w-90 means that cold it is 80w.  As it warms up to operating temp it thickens up to 90w.  This is good because it allows the oil to flow better when it is cold to coat the gears well.  As for the top and bottom plug, when I changed the oil on my zx50 I ran into the same thing.  When I pulled the top plug out oil started flowing from it.  It wasn't a whole lot, I just filled it back up so that a little wanted to flow out.  I haven't had any problems with any leaking through the seals so I figure it is good. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 02:55:59 AM »
I am using 75/90 napa synth. Love it. Using any small adapter to fill the case it is easy to slightly overfill. If you checked it when the scoot was warm that will also slightly expand the oil, causing the overflow. No worries mate!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

scooterman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 03:32:16 AM »
Thanks Guys I'm going to Autozone tomorrow and buying gear oil i guess the 75w90 will be best being that i live in New York where it gets cold . the bottom plug is the drain plug right .So when doing this job how much oil do you think I'll need to finish the job.Or should i say how much should i put back in there.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 03:49:47 AM »
Just fill it till it comes out the top plug. The manual has the exact amount. I bought a small pump that screws onto a standard quart bottle, and adapted the end to fit my drain plug. I just fill till it runs out the top plug, install the top plug,remove my pump, and install the bottom plug. The pump can be purchased from a marine supply house for around 11 bucks. It is sold for filling outboard/ sterndrive gear oil.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 04:15:09 AM »
A big syringe is what the shop I visit uses. Easiest way to do it, IMO.
\

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 05:42:24 PM »
I just got a big syringe . I had a little trouble finding one , finally found one used for flavor injecting turkeys . Good luck .

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 09:26:52 PM »
Another 2 cents, Drug stores sell the large syringes. I believe they would also be less pricey. I use them to inject epoxy into voids in fiberglass. Never thought to use them for gear oil...

scooterman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 01:36:31 AM »
Is it possible to over fill it

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 02:05:59 AM »
Luckily I haven't learned from experience, but I believe it is possible.  My understanding is that there has to be room for expansion, or you could blow the seals.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 04:08:49 AM »
With the syringe, it's all too easy. When I had my Agility 125, I overfilled the gearbox the first time. Waited for 30 minutes for that crap to weep back out of the fill hole, and even then, it was probably overfilled.

Now, I just drain that stuff (on the P250), and shoot it full with a pre-measured syringe of 80/90. No problems, thusfar.

heypete

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 04:50:13 PM »
How sensitive are Kymco engines and drivetrains (specifically the one in the Bet & Win 150) to fluid levels?

Unfortunately, where I live is not exactly the flattest place around, so it's difficult to get the scooter exactly level when doing fluid changes. I don't have a garage, so I do all the work outside in the apartment parking lot...again, not the most level place in the world.

I do my best to ensure that fluids are kept to the appropriate level, but as with all things, it's not perfect. If the level of, say, the gear oil is up to the fill port in my parking lot, but is actually a few millimeters below the fill port when operating, will this harm anything?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 04:59:37 PM »
It's NOT crucial to have an exact amount. The case is vented to prevent preasurizing, And a little less is better than empty. Should be a no brainer though if you pre measure.

heypete

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 05:15:23 PM »
It's NOT crucial to have an exact amount. The case is vented to prevent preasurizing, And a little less is better than empty. Should be a no brainer though if you pre measure.

Excellent. If I wished to err on the side of caution, would it be better to put in a bit too much or a bit too little? I'll look at getting one of the syringes to ensure that I put in exactly the right amount next time.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 05:20:23 PM »
Thats hard to say... Empty sucks (obvious reasons) and overfull tends to make a mess in all sorts of places you don't want a mess. A FEW ml more or less won't hurt though. I always fill mine to the overflow bolt. (never measured it)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()