Author Topic: Scooter Lifestyle  (Read 2703 times)

Vision

• View Profile
Scooter Lifestyle
« on: November 10, 2014, 01:55:11 AM »
BettinANDlosing has the term "Scooter lifestyle" in his profile and that got me thinking.

It really is a lifestyle, a great one. Do you agree? How would you define it? (I'll answer later)

kingkymco125

• View Profile
Re: Scooter Lifestyle
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 06:02:38 AM »
The answer to this question depends as my finance professor always reminded me.  Is the motorcycle lifestyle a lifestyle as well? It all comes down to groups and sub groups. I would say having a scooter is a lifestyle as well. Just ask those who are into the vintage Vespas and Lambrattas. At the annual HighRollers Weekend Vegas Scooter Rally many of those who attend do have a lifestyle they live by. Of course the scooter lifestyle consist of music as well. This type of music is made up of SKA and raggae, skinhead music. Also much of the scooter lifestyle pays homage to the early British rock bands of the late 1960's and 70's. Today the kymcos are consider plastic bikes by those who are into the vintage bikes. At the 2014 Vegas Scooter Rally, I had one guy tell me to get my bike away from his since it was consider by him a plastic bike even though it is a 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc scooter. He had an all metal, 2 stroke, 200cc bike he custom built his self. I love my current bike because she is a so much fun to ride. I have no problems with those who ride the classics. For me, it is about the ride and the journey one goes on. I do consider myself a scooterist. These are my thoughts on this subject.

Ride safe and enjoy the  adventure. 8)
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 04:48:18 PM »
Living and breathing scooters all day every day!! In fact I'm waiting for my MHR overrange kit coming in the mail like a dog waiting for his owner to get home!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 02:56:03 AM »
I would argue it's more of a lifestyle where scooters are more common.  In the US, I would argue it's not a lifestyle but a lifestyle choice.

I ride my bike nearly every day to work in all types of weather, because I can.  I don't see "bigger, badder bikers" doing that.  It's OK though because I choose to ride that way.  Just don't mock my scoot with 20K on it when your bike has only 3K on it!

Just ride.   8) 
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

nightriderrv

• Ride all the time !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 12:29:27 AM »
I ride all year long too only time I don't if there ice or snow on the road. I hate to put gas in my jeep when I can fill the bike up 30 or 40 times for the same cost...
2007 Agility 50 4T KG10SA
52MM Hoca BBK
Big valve head
24mm Keihin
102.5 jet
UNI filter
Aftermarket exhaust
Malossi Multivar
6g Malossi rollers
Stock clutch & white Malossi contra spring
Primary transmission gear up 18/50

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 03:36:41 PM »
I would argue it's more of a lifestyle where scooters are more common.  In the US, I would argue it's not a lifestyle but a lifestyle choice.

I ride my bike nearly every day to work in all types of weather, because I can.  I don't see "bigger, badder bikers" doing that.  It's OK though because I choose to ride that way.  Just don't mock my scoot with 20K on it when your bike has only 3K on it!

Just ride.   8) 

I can relate to that. I rode my Super8 150 all year. Even in the freezing temps.
Most of the folks I hang around are "Real Bikers"  ::) , so I got a little joking when I got the scoot. But as you mentioned, all the big bikes, Harley's in particular, get locked up in a nice cozy garage if a single drop of rain falls. After riding all year, in all kinds of weather, my biker friends don't give me crap about the scoot anymore. They even go as far as defending the scoot when new people make a comment.

I don't think of myself as a scooterist. I'm just a rider. I love my scoot, and I love the motorcycle I'm getting ready to buy (even if it is just a 250).
I try to not get caught up in the whole "lifestyle" thing, or the scooters versus motorcycles debate. I see us all just as riders. So just go out and ride. Don't worry about trying to classify it.

The late Indian Larry once said, "Ride what YOU like, as long as you're riding. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks."

-Duke  8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 02:47:12 AM »
Duke:
Your Indian friend is a smart person. He is right about the ride. I have no problem with those who ride motorcycles. I sometimes prefer riding my scooter over my car anytime. July and August here in the desert are the worse months of the year to ride during the day. When I had no car, I rode to work on my bike when it was 110 degrees out, even with the dry heat. This was too hot for me. Once the sun goes down in the summer then it is bearable tor ride at night.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

FBR090375

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 09:01:02 PM »
Scooters are a miracle and a blessing for us hard working americans,,you can fill the tank for less then 3 dlls,easy to park ,my car broke down 2 weeks ago ,i got a kymco agility 125cc for $850 a deal for a 2014 with 3k,,,sure people make fun of me,i dont care i am a big guy 300 punds,,my kymco wont let me down even with hard wind and rain,,,yes SCOOTERS is  lifestyle,,in many countrys in europe  KYMCO Ssells more scooters then vespa ,piaggio  even in spain you will see more kymcos in the steet,thease are work horses

Giraffemom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 01:40:02 AM »
I just recently came to the scooter world after 50 years in the motorcycle world. First,  I'm disappointed there is snobbery in the scooter world, although I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Seems to be a human trait. Sonny Barger, "founder" of the Hells Angels once said, "If you ride two wheels with an engine, you're a biker. Anybody says you ain't, ain't." That's always how I've looked at it. The first bike I rode in 1962 was a Cushman scooter. After that it's been about every brand of motorcycle EXCEPT a Harley. Never liked either the bike or the attitudes. The reasons I've come back are too numerous to mention, but boy do I love it. Simplicity, ease,weight and just plain fun. I'm not sure a 69 year old man needs any kind of lifestyle, but if it involves a big grin and a loud laugh, I'm in.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()