Author Topic: Darksiding the Xciting  (Read 20375 times)

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
Re: Darksiding the Xciting
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2014, 04:36:48 PM »
Congratulations...It really does look functional and not what I expected.  Can you tell us the Brand?

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2014, 07:44:19 PM »
Congratulations...It really does look functional and not what I expected.  Can you tell us the Brand?

Formoza,

and its is functional. Its like having a new bike again really.

No more changing my tires 4 times a year

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2014, 08:33:55 PM »
Looks allot better than I would have thought. I'm right at 55,000 miles on my X500, and just put on front and rear a new set of Michelin city grips. I will see how long the rear last. Please keep us updated as to mileage, handling, wear etc. 99% of my riding is touring. I really don't care about cornering and such as most other riders would. But I don't want an evil handling bike either. If something like this could get 40,000 or more per tire, I'm in! Between the cost of buying the tire, purchasing ride on tire sealant, and then pay to have it installed, it really adds up. So changing tires every 5-8,000 miles is a pain in the azzz, and is certainly not cheap. WHAT MAKE AND MODEL OF TIRE IS THIS? AND HOW MANY MILES IS IT SUPPOSED TO LAST? :-*   
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 08:38:17 PM by sissy mary »

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 10:37:40 PM »
Looks allot better than I would have thought. I'm right at 55,000 miles on my X500, and just put on front and rear a new set of Michelin city grips. I will see how long the rear last. Please keep us updated as to mileage, handling, wear etc. 99% of my riding is touring. I really don't care about cornering and such as most other riders would. But I don't want an evil handling bike either. If something like this could get 40,000 or more per tire, I'm in! Between the cost of buying the tire, purchasing ride on tire sealant, and then pay to have it installed, it really adds up. So changing tires every 5-8,000 miles is a pain in the azzz, and is certainly not cheap. WHAT MAKE AND MODEL OF TIRE IS THIS? AND HOW MANY MILES IS IT SUPPOSED TO LAST? :-*

its a federal formoza 165/60r14 75H

I never really looked how many miles, I tried just now with no luck to find out. I think anything over 15000Miles Ive done well. It'll likely take me about a year to do that becuase I have other rides. Likely will get > 20000.

Have any of you ever changed your own tire on an Xciting 500???

Remove exhaust sheild
loosen o rinf clamp
Remove Cannister
Remove Caliper
Remove bolt holding shock to swingarm
Remove Swingarm
Remove Shock
Remove Tire

Its more than your average motorcycle or scooter. Luckily i have all the tools to do it. If you pay someone to do it, its worth it, but my guys usually charge $40-$50 to remove and mount.

I'll spend only $15 to get the tire mounted, i'll put on bike myself.

Its actually fun to ride now. I'm gonna eliminate some fender so i can look at it!!!

Who's next to join the Darkside!!!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2014, 10:46:48 PM »
LOL... Nice!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2014, 08:09:53 AM »
How many psi did it take to seat the bead?
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2014, 01:28:20 AM »
Good question... The answer will tell a lot about the fit.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2014, 01:40:02 AM »
Did you notice any difference in rolling resistance going down the highway? It seems with a foot wide contact patch going straight would significantly increase friction when the bike is upright. I'm not a hater, and give you props for trying something no one else thought of with the Xciting. Motorcycles and scooters eat the living piss out of tires. On my 3.5x10 gy6 wheelie bike I would go thru rear tires in less than 2000 miles because of wheelies.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 02:43:28 AM »
How many psi did it take to seat the bead?

I couldnt tell ya. My tire guy did it. Took awhile though.

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2014, 02:44:47 AM »
Did you notice any difference in rolling resistance going down the highway? It seems with a foot wide contact patch going straight would significantly increase friction when the bike is upright. I'm not a hater, and give you props for trying something no one else thought of with the Xciting. Motorcycles and scooters eat the living piss out of tires. On my 3.5x10 gy6 wheelie bike I would go thru rear tires in less than 2000 miles because of wheelies.

Over 400 mostly highway miles in and no issues. Rides like a charm.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2014, 03:26:44 AM »
Over 400 mostly highway miles in and no issues. Rides like a charm.

Nice :)
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2014, 06:39:01 AM »
On my bike it took a bunch of, probably over 100 psi.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2014, 02:59:49 PM »
Tl which did you darkside?

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2014, 05:19:44 AM »
Honda Magna 750 motorcycle
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2014, 02:20:50 PM »
Formoza,

and its is functional. Its like having a new bike again really.

No more changing my tires 4 times a year
Help me understand this....please.
You seem to be saying that your scooter handles (corners?) so much better with that trailer tire mounted compared to the purpose-made scooter tire that it now feels like a new and improved scooter?!?
Maybe I'm missing something here. I can possibly imagine better mileage....but better handling?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()