Author Topic: Indel Classic Rocket Sidecar  (Read 3186 times)

k12smitty

• New to the scooter world, but loving it so far.
    • View Profile
Indel Classic Rocket Sidecar
« on: November 26, 2014, 12:49:46 AM »
I recently purchased an Inder Classic Rocket Sidecar for use on my '09 Kymco 500ri. I have seen pics on the internet of 500ri's with sidecars, so i know it is doable. The Indel is a Cosy knockoff but for the price looks like a good unit. I bought it from Safewholesale.com, which I don't recommend. When I ordered it they assured me the attachment kit would be matched for my scooter. As it turns out I got a universal sidecar mount. My question is, has anyone else taken on mounting a sidecar on their 500ri? If so, where did you attach the sidecar mounts on your scooter. Maybe you can offer a web site with some info? Maybe you could take some pics of your installation with attach points? I have just begun taking the plastic off so I can get a good view of the possible attach points. Boy, taking the panels of this scooter are a nightmare. Still trying to get the side panels off the side of the hump. I did just read some old posts from 2010 describing how to do this. I have been riding and working on motorcycles for 45 years but am relatively new to the scooter world. I have had my 500ri for 3 years but have never had to take the covers off. I also have a BMWK1200LT and a KLR 650 Kawawaki so the 500ri has very low miles. I bought it for my wife but she had a tip over and is now scared of it. It is my hope the sidecar will entice her to ride more, at least around town. Thanks for any help or advice anyone can offer me.
Steve Smith
Warner Robins, GA
Ride Safely,
Steve
'09 Xciting 500 Ri
'09 People 200 S
'09 BMW K1200LT
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'05 KLR 250
'97 BMW K1100LT

sissy mary

• View Profile
Re: Indel Classic Rocket Sidecar
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 01:15:34 PM »
No. But maybe u could call a sidecar dealer who may give u some advice? For free I hope. The X500 is a tall scoot. Your wife would probably be much more happy with a Suzuki burgman 400. 28 inch seat height vs 30.7 on the X500. Sidecars can be a bitcchh to ride in turns. My 2 cents.:-*

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 04:29:28 PM »
Can't help you with the sidecar mount, K12 but it can be done like you said. It will have asymmetric handling like Mary said but that can be dealt with depending how determined your wife is. We got a Tow-Pac outrigger wheels after my wife dumped her People GTi300 and she loves it! She is now the one who initiates the rides! Can't keep her off it! Side car would be neat since you can carry all kinds of stuff in it besides people. The "Kymco Tupperware" can be tough to remove since it is temperature sensitive AND YOU WILL BREAK OFF THE LOCKING TABS IF YOU TRY TO REMOVE BELOW 55-70 DEGREES F!! Kymco die makers did well to make that stuff fit so tightly. Good luck!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 06:46:18 PM »
  If it is anything like the downtown there is 1 screw on each side and 4 clips holding the plastic then I unbolted the rear lights and the hole thing came off,. the plastic is screwed too the rear lights and are blind when on the scooter,.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 02:31:10 PM »
Google Piagio MP3 400 & 500cc 3 wheel scooters. I like the 400 the best. 500 is totally ugly? To me at least. Two wheels in front, but it still leans. :-*

k12smitty

• New to the scooter world, but loving it so far.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 09:36:37 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I have talked to the people at Saferwholesale.com  where I purchased the sidecar kit. First of all I didn't get what I ordered from them. They have a Classic Rocket and a Standard Rocket sidecar kit listed on their website. I ordered a Classic Rocket for a Kymco Scooter. When I ordered they took all the specifics about my scooter to ensure I got the correct mounting hardware. Well the sidecar kit I got is not either a Classic or a Standard. It is a standard with a couple of upgrades plus a headlight kit I didn't order. Also the markings on the crate say for a Motorcycle. The mounting hardware is a universal motorcycle mounting kit. After many phone calls and emails I finally talked to someone that seems to know a little about sidecars. They insist the tub I got is the unit I ordered but they are going to send me a universal scooter mounting kit and a wheel without a brake kit. The manager says the last few times he ordered scooter mounting hardware for maxi scooters the owners actually ended up needing motorcycle mounting kits and that is why he sent a motorcycle kit. At any rate hopefully one day I will figure out how to install this thing on my scooter. The only instructions I have seen are for mounting on a Royal Enfield motorcycle and a Suzuki Burgman scooter. When it is all said and done I will probably end up have to fabricate some brackets myself.
Oh what fun!
Steve
Ride Safely,
Steve
'09 Xciting 500 Ri
'09 People 200 S
'09 BMW K1200LT
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'05 KLR 250
'97 BMW K1100LT

Tom Moy

• My 500Ri
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 08:07:13 PM »
I have a 500 ri with a Cosy sidecar unit. It was installed by Old Vintage Cranks in Acton Ontario, Canada.
I am sure if you contact Ken Beach at Old Vintage Cranks he may be able to help you out. I will try to attach pictures of my rig.

Tom Moy
tommoy@sympatico.ca

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()