Author Topic: another bites the dust  (Read 3808 times)

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
another bites the dust
« on: November 26, 2014, 02:30:10 PM »
Local man was killed while riding a scooter in my area about two days ago. He was rear ended.
Looking for more details on the accident.
I was rear ended this summer at a traffic light. Damage was under $400. Thankfully I was not hurt. I was wearing a flo-orange shirt at the time. Did not help.
This rear end thing worries me. I don't know how to defend against it.
So many careless drivers now days. They do everything except keep their eyes on the road and their mind on their driving.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 11:22:39 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: another bites the dust
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 03:50:01 PM »
Sorry to hear that boo.
Yes...worries most of us.
We can try to control what we're riding into...but have less control about the poor drivers behind us.
It is the reason I bought and installed the big lighted Bestem top case....and why I will not ride in traffic when the sun is low.....or ride in 4 lane congested streets...where there is a lot of speeding and lane changing. This restricts how I use my scoot....but I've learned when, where I can still put thousands of miles on my scooters every year.
I get tail gated in my car all the time because I drive the speed limit....but I turn off or stop when that happens on my scoot several times ea. week.
This will be a sad holiday season for his family.....
Stig with
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 04:45:04 PM »
If you can mount a luggage box on the back with a light built in that helps put the light on the car drivers level and makes a difference.

Years ago NYC taxi companies started mounting lights on the trunk to help avoid being rear ended, auto manufacturers started with the center mount 3rd tail light back in the 80's.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 06:48:56 PM »
Sorry to hear about this as most people just plain don't pay attention anymore.  My purpose is to be as Visible as I can, as you can see from my coat, helmet, reflective tape and LED lights I've added.  Both Bikes have Rear Sweeping Horizontal LED's that come on with the brakes.    Another hint is when making a left turn,  keep as far to the left as you can so on-coming traffic can see you in the line of cars.  Can you command attention?  That's what I've tried to done and so far I've been successful.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 08:50:48 PM »
It is now and has always been a risk/reward game. I chose the reward so "I" assume the risk.
We can dress as bumble bees, and I do, but will always be at the mercy of a machine with no protection.

Contrary to what some like to believe few "cagers" and I hate that term, hunt down motorcycles. I see the same crap in my SUV that I see on the bike. Poor attention on the other drivers part and the inherent danger of the bike and bad doo-doo happens.

I rode for 30 years on a blacked out HOG dressed in black and never got smacked. The last 10 I'm all HiVis and I've been smacked twice. Why? More distractions more traffic. I also log a ton more miles now.

People ride people get killed, tragic. Its a concern in the back of my mind but never a worry. A worried rider is close to being a scared one and that's a disaster waiting to happen . I won't let other drivers  dictate when and where I ride.

Stay Safe, Be seen and enjoy the ride.

Be Big,
AMAC

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:52:42 PM by Amac1680 »
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 09:06:15 PM »
Amac...You're certainly right.   People these days sometimes don't care.  You might recall how a Fire Truck or Police car may had had one flashing red light.  They had no trouble getting thru traffic.  Today these vehicles have lights upon lights flashing.  Look how many Police Officers have been hit and killed when stopping someone on the side of the highway.  You're taking a risk whether walking, driving or just leaving the house.

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 03:20:27 AM »
 During the summer, an LAPD motorcycle officer was killed while stopped at a red light. He was rear ended in the daytime by a woman that was high. It can happen to anyone.
 Stay safe all.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

MooseMax

• This space for rent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 06:38:05 AM »
Local man was killed while riding a scooter in my area about two days ago. He was rear ended.
Looking for more details on the accident.
If this is the same guy, he wasn't wearing a helmet!
http://www.timesnews.net/article/9082870/scooter-rider-fatally-struck-by-car-in-sullivan-county

First time i've heard a scooter referred to as a "device" LOL

A few things that help prevent rear-enders:

- Flashing the brake lights whenever braking, or at least when braking quickly or unexpectedly.  I've trained myself to "double tap" the lever, and now it's second nature.

- Additional lights, both front & back.  Besides visibility, it helps motorists determine your speed and distance vs. a single light.

- I ordered some iron-on reflective tape for my armored jacket and also my backpack. Got it on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SILVER-RETRO-REFLECTIVE-TAPE-iron-on-trim3x2-/111253708125

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 06:40:51 AM by MooseMax »
People 250
San Francisco, USA

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 03:27:21 PM »
Many years ago, when I was a young, a fresh rider, on my first bike, a Yamaha YSR 50, I was rear ended. I was in a right turn lane, had momentarily stopped checking to see if it was clear to proceed. I was struck at slow speed by a mini van. Force was enough to damage the tail section of the bike, and I only found myself running forward after being dismounted from the bike. I was lucky.

These days, now that I have started commuting on a bike / scooter, I wear a high visibility jacket and helmet, and helps that the scooter is red. As mentioned above, while at a light, I check my mirrors frequently, and pulse the rear brake light as cars approach from behind. While traveling, I keep a good margin incase traffic comes to a halt, so that I don't have to jam on the brakes, and worry about the car(s) behind me. Observation, most cars keep a decent cushion behind me as well. I appreciate that.

The other risk is cars merging into your occupied lane. I position myself either ahead, or behind adjacent cars, while in motion. I constantly scan and observe other drivers intentions, and heed to my gut feeling ... or in other words, my spidey senses.
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 06:38:51 PM »
Last i read the number one reason in america for a car on motorcycle/scooter accident is being hit from behind at a light. Not so in other countries... They have lane splitting/filtering. It saves lives.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 07:36:28 PM »
23 yr old female gets 90 days in jail, court, medical, funeral costs for turning into a married father on a Ninja.
Since she got her license past 18 she never had a safety class.... the judge said that might have prevented this...."but, we'll never know"
Widow is struggling to save the house & put food on the table ..."and hold the family together without Dad."
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

MooseMax

• This space for rent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 08:02:15 PM »
Last i read the number one reason in america for a car on motorcycle/scooter accident is being hit from behind at a light.
Not sure where you heard that.  Here are the stats for motorbike fatalities, from the NHTSA:

In 2012, 2,624 of all motorcycles (52%) involved in fatal crashes collided with
another type of motor vehicle in transport. In two-vehicle crashes, 75 percent of the
motorcycles involved in motor vehicle traffic crashes collided with the vehicles in
the front of them. Only 7 percent were struck in the rear.

from http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/812035.pdf

I've been riding almost daily for 10 years and have never been hit from behind.   I can't even recall hearing screeching tires behind me.
People 250
San Francisco, USA

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 08:33:34 PM »
Theres not much you can do to watch your back but have hope.hope the girl behide you is not puting makeup on.or the guy behide you is not on his phone.or if the one behide you is not drinking.its tough out there.its not only your back you have to watch its all around.good luck and drive safe.

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 08:57:58 PM »
Last i read the number one reason in america for a car on motorcycle/scooter accident is being hit from behind at a light. Not so in other countries... They have lane splitting/filtering. It saves lives.

In California, we have that luxury. However, I don't always exercise the privilege. I don't split enough to have the courage to filter as as cars bunch up, or come to a halt. I typically slow to a near stop, or have stopped before I proceed to split / filter forward. Additionally, due to the broad span of the scooter bars, the gap is not always clear enough to filter through. At least on my commute route. On the hand, if I were on my sport bike, it's generally not as much of an issue.

In regards to the most accidents comment. Aside from rider error (very common), most of the moto and car related accidents I read are colliding with cars making a left turn, pulling out of a drive way or side street, or a U-turn. The most common comment of the driver that caused the accident is " I didn't see him / her". I rarely I read accidents of being rear-ended.
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 09:19:27 PM »
I flipped a Suzuki 450 twin when I nailed it to avoid a car from hitting my rear. I hit the curb at 20ish mph but my buddy on the back drove me into the dirt.
When I woke up the cop told me I was lucky to be alive because the car they Did rear end was totaled.

Not to tout my horn, but you HAVE to be aware of EVERYTHING! Miss one thing, and it's a whole nuther story.

(i'm knocking on wood right noww)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()