Author Topic: Looking at a Used Super 9 tomorrow  (Read 4528 times)

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Looking at a Used Super 9 tomorrow
« on: March 11, 2008, 03:16:45 AM »
...if it is not sold by then.   ::)

Any suggestions on what to look for trouble wise?  Has about 1500 miles.

I know to check the basic wear and tear items and what not.  I am not familiar with CVT or scooters in general.  I have only owned motorcycles so far.

z28sb400

• View Profile
Re: Looking at a Used Super 9 tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 11:45:46 AM »
 My advice is the more stock it is when buying used the better,then you know it has not been wound out to the max yet,you did not say what year it is,the older the better,in 03 they started to take the extras off it each year,ie...tach,hi/lo beam,rear disk,water cooling,horse power....be sure to check the vin numbers too,in 05 they had a recall on them with the engine bosses cracking off,you can find the vin list on the web of affected models.

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 12:45:21 PM »
Thanks a lot for the info z28sb400.  Interesting they cut back the features.

The guy sold it last night so I missed out.  He never did tell me what year it was. 

I just found 2001 zx50 Super Fever near by.  Does the same advice as above apply?  It is in "perfect condition" and the guy is asking $900.  KBB says $1000 retail and about $650 trade in so it looks like it is in the ball park.  Seems a little high for a 7 year old machine but I am not up on scooter pricing.  Any thoughts?

z28sb400

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 05:55:23 PM »
I had a zx50 also and also still own a people 50 too,the zx is a great little machine,the only bad thing about it is the height,its kinda small and low,i felt bunched up on it,but the motors are a excellent one for performance,there has got to be a thousand different hi-po parts for the honda dio motor in the zx 50,it can even be stroked with a drop in crank and cylinder kit to hit 110 cc's using the 50 cc block,90 mph speeds

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 03:38:26 PM »
90 mph?  Wow!  Is the dio motor made by Honda or did Kymco build it for them?

Sounds pretty sweet.  compact is good.  I would probably take it on a lot of camping trips and to the races.  Thanks again for the input.  I will keep you posted.

With all this in mind $900 does not seem to bad.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 12:05:11 AM »
90 mph?  Wow!  Is the dio motor made by Honda or did Kymco build it for them?

Sounds pretty sweet.  compact is good.  I would probably take it on a lot of camping trips and to the races.  Thanks again for the input.  I will keep you posted.

With all this in mind $900 does not seem to bad.

That's a hella lot of work (and $$$$!) to get to 90mph, on wheels, tires and a frame never meant to do 90mph. I won't hot-rod my Vino, 'cause two drum brakes, and a small frame on 10" wheels?  Fuggedaboudit. I'm Mr. Safety Dance, heah.  :)

That said, You could probably get it up to 50mph for ~$100, and some TLC. That's the outer envelope of what I'd do to this one.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 12:08:11 AM by jprestonian »

z28sb400

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 11:49:39 AM »
tHE DIO MOTOR IN THE ZX 50 IS MADE BY HONDA,90 MPH IS THE EXTREME,FOR A GOOD SWIFT KICK IN THE AS...,A 70 CC KIT WILL DO GREAT,AND IT WILL BANG 55-60 DEPENDING ON YOUR WEIGHT,BUT THE 110 CC KIT IS A BOLT IN KIT ,EXPENSIVE?YES,WORTH IT ON A STREET SCOOTER?NO, BIG BRAGGING RIGHTS?YES,TOO FAST? YES, GAS HOG,YES,FUN? WELL IF 20 HP SOUNDS LIKE A BLAST COMPAIRED TO THE 3.5 HP IT CAME THEN THERE YOU GO.....

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 02:49:22 PM »
haha, I like to know it is possible.  It is testiment to flexibility which I like.  I tend to stay stock on my bikes. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()