Author Topic: WEird stalling issue  (Read 5263 times)

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
WEird stalling issue
« on: December 06, 2014, 04:43:22 PM »
So earlier today I'm on the highway, because i was running late for work.  Sadly there was an accident up ahead which litteraly brought traffic to a standstill and I was late for work.

We would move five to ten meters, stop and the bike would stall.  50 meters, stop and the bike would stall  25 meters, stop and stall.  After a bit the bike started to stall out nearly all the time.  I tried to keep the RPM over 2K and it still stalled out. 

This continued till I got out of the traffic and was able to open it up.  guess what, no stall.

I've never experienced that before and was wondering if it was something simple, like overheating, or something I should be more concerned about?

Help me out here folks.
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: WEird stalling issue
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 07:33:42 PM »
So earlier today I'm on the highway, because i was running late for work.  Sadly there was an accident up ahead which litteraly brought traffic to a standstill and I was late for work.

We would move five to ten meters, stop and the bike would stall.  50 meters, stop and the bike would stall  25 meters, stop and stall.  After a bit the bike started to stall out nearly all the time.  I tried to keep the RPM over 2K and it still stalled out. 

This continued till I got out of the traffic and was able to open it up.  guess what, no stall.

I've never experienced that before and was wondering if it was something simple, like overheating, or something I should be more concerned about?

Help me out here folks.

Carb or efi x500?
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 08:32:44 PM »
EFI

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 08:58:03 PM »
Hmmmm any codes pop up? Maybe get it to your dealer, if they're nice it'll be a free scan. Otherwise the x500 EFI have some ghost problems I've never been able to nail down on a couple we had in the shop. There is an air bypass screw on the throttle body but to actually adjust it you need the scan tool.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 09:28:02 PM »
Hmmmm any codes pop up? Maybe get it to your dealer, if they're nice it'll be a free scan. Otherwise the x500 EFI have some ghost problems I've never been able to nail down on a couple we had in the shop. There is an air bypass screw on the throttle body but to actually adjust it you need the scan tool.

No codes which would have made sense.    I've ridden the bike in hotter and colder weather than today so I'm not sure what would have caused it.

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 04:29:58 PM »
It's happened to me before. Just ride it out. It'll take care of itself.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 08:19:12 PM »
Have you tried the "initializing procedure" for the EFI yet?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 08:53:55 PM »
It's happened to me before. Just ride it out. It'll take care of itself.

I like the way you think haha

500_Monkeys

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 09:12:44 AM »
I was getting a stall issue when my 500iR was new.  Turns out it was the charge on the battery.  If you don't have enough charge and there's a dip in power, the computer will most likely not have enough to keep the bike running.  Might be a protective measure.

Sorry if it's been mentioned before, but check the usuals:

Battery Charge
Fuel Injector
Spark Plug
Connections all the way along the ignition system
Connections on the fuse box
Air leaks around intake.  Sudden influx of air may upset the mix.
Obstructions or fouling of the butterfly valve in the throttle body.
Exhaust leaks

You may have bad fuel, which would explain intermittent issues.  Run some fuel injector cleaner and see if things improve.
Run the throttle reset procedure and go for a longish ride. 30 mins + on at highway speeds.

Hope this helps.

Either way, the Xciting 500 doesn't like short trips.  Always keep an eye on that clear tube on the left side for stuff that look like mayonnaise.

MYD 2009 Kymco Xciting 500Ri ABS - Assembled October 2011

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 01:03:05 PM »
Also, run a can of STP complete/total fuel system cleaner through the bike. Ethanol build up deposits may be a problem? And someone said in a former post that going up to the next hotter spark plug cleared up this issue? :-* 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 01:05:23 PM by sissy mary »

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 01:20:42 PM »
Actually I did have to put the battery on a tender on day due to the fact that I did not ride the bike for nearly two weeks.  I thought I just didn't have the seat closed correctly and run the battery down. 

Actually the charge makes sense.  When I'm riding the battery is being recharged.  When I'm sitting still the bike is running just off the battery and draining.   ;D

Well I guess I needed a new battery anyway. 

hgw75

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 08:30:44 PM »
Check Air Filter?????

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 02:42:27 PM »
If I ever buy an X500 (FI). I think I will bite the bullet and get a lithium battery for it. More power and low discharge rate. This is not the first time I have heard of this issue. :-*

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 04:45:26 PM »
If I ever buy an X500 (FI). I think I will bite the bullet and get a lithium battery for it. More power and low discharge rate. This is not the first time I have heard of this issue. :-*

100%. They did not come with a big enough battery.

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 02:02:55 PM »
Well the battery is lighting the lights but not turning over the bike right now....so I'm thinking that is the issue.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()