Author Topic: cold stating  (Read 1320 times)

rullmark

• View Profile
cold stating
« on: December 18, 2014, 07:14:13 PM »
Hey folks I have a People 150 4 stroke.When it gets to be 55 degrees or colder I hit the start switch and it runs for about 10 seconds and dies I have to start switch again on for 10 seconds and then dies and then it won't start anymore.I talked to some people and they don't think it's the fire starter I looked at mine and it's fully extended what else possibly could have be. when its warm it runs fine. Could it be a jet in the float bowl.  could the float  be set to low.if I put my hand over the intake it will start right up

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: cold stating
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:21:45 PM »
Hey folks I have a People 150 4 stroke.When it gets to be 55 degrees or colder I hit the start switch and it runs for about 10 seconds and dies I have to start switch again on for 10 seconds and then dies and then it won't start anymore.I talked to some people and they don't think it's the fire starter I looked at mine and it's fully extended what else possibly could have be. when its warm it runs fine. Could it be a jet in the float bowl.  could the float  be set to low.if I put my hand over the intake it will start right up

Dirty carb 100%
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

rullmark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 03:52:42 AM »
Ok  but I don't understand why it runs perfect when the temperature is warm outside

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 06:02:03 AM »
Warm temp= less fuel needed. Clogged jet= less fuel. It may feel perfect but once you clean it, it'll feel even better. There is the off chance that the choke is bad, but if it was running great before the 6mo sitting then the carb is plugged just enough to hard start. You'll see it once you get in there.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

rullmark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 01:39:41 PM »
Ok  Thanks for the help .I cleaner today

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 12:34:47 AM »
Every few months I will throw about 2 oz.of jet fuel in with the gas that helps with cleaning the carb.or seafoam works too.

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 06:50:20 PM »
At first check the bystarter valve on the carb for proper function. And its wiring harness for breaks and chafe marks along its route.
It must be retracted when cold, and extend itself due to power flow of the running engine or just key on for a while. Test that at first.
There is lots of Information and Pictures and Videos out there about working and non working Bystarter Valves.
If it was extended cold, it would perfectly explain the symptoms. Dies when cold, runs fine when warm.

If the Bystarter Valve is working correctly, Carb. Cleaning would then be my next step.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 08:21:11 AM »
When it's below 40 deg start it on the center stand where you can increase the idle a bit without the stress of the clutch working on the motor. Just sitting on it I've discovered kills the motor too easily when trying to give it a little gas.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 02:35:54 PM by 2wheelfun »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()