Author Topic: My first scooter " 2014 Like 200i "  (Read 6586 times)

MrCruz601

• View Profile
My first scooter " 2014 Like 200i "
« on: December 22, 2014, 10:17:20 PM »
I just bought my first scooter for commuting purposes, a 2014 Kymco Like 200i. I've been riding super sports for a few years now and I have become very familiar with my bike threw the tons of info that I can find online, but when it comes to my scooter I can't find as much.

Things I want to know:

1. When should I preform the first oil change " It currently has about 50 miles "
2. What oil and filter should I use?
3. Anything you can recommend.

Thanks in advance!   ;)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: My first scooter " 2014 Like 200i "
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 10:30:59 PM »
First oil change should be around 200mi to get the break in oil out. You'll want to adjust the valves at the same time. Then another oil change around 800mi, with another valve adjust if your feeling like taking super good care of it. Then 1500mi then every 1000mi after that. If you have a owners manual consult your service schedule for the kymco recommend schedule. You should use 15w40 non synthetic until 1500mi. Any brand is on and you don't have to use motorcycle oil. After 1500mi switch to a good high end synthetic and the motor will love you. There is no oil filter, just an oil screen that should be cleaned every other oil change. Happy scootin'
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 01:37:28 AM »
I just bought my first scooter for commuting purposes, a 2014 Kymco Like 200i. I've been riding super sports for a few years now and I have become very familiar with my bike threw the tons of info that I can find online, but when it comes to my scooter I can't find as much.

Things I want to know:

1. When should I preform the first oil change " It currently has about 50 miles "
2. What oil and filter should I use?
3. Anything you can recommend.

Thanks in advance!   ;)
Change the oil now.
Owner's manual tells you what weight oil to use......many recommend not using full synthetic for a few hundred miles until engine is broken in. So, they use proper weight regular motor oil for the first oil change or two. There is no filter, just the oil screen to clean and replace after rinsing with gas. (so, there are two plugs you remove for an oil change. One drains the oil, the other has the screen and spring.....pay attention to how it comes out to replace properly. Not too tight on either plug!)
Since the LIKE200i uses less than a Qt. of oil and it is easy to change ...change it often (some do every 600 miles)
Follow gentle break-in procedure listed in your owner's manual.
When you get around to it, an NGK Iridium spark plug smooths the idle (Autozone for @ $8..these are the proper Iridium NGK's for the LIKE 200i: CR7HIX)
       (DENSO:Iridium/IUF22)

Take a look at the valve adjustment videos (good one on youtube) and posts for the LIKE200i here on the forum. They are pretty easy to do compared to other scooters where the plastic panels hide so much of the engine. Not so with the LIKE.
I've been commuting to work for nearly 2 yrs with my LIKE200i - including winter here in Ohio. The fuel injection works great in all kinds of weather....and some very low temps.
Plenty to read on the forum under the LIKE200i heading.
Ride safe, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

MrCruz601

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 04:15:10 PM »
Thank you all for the info. Is Motul Scooter Expert 4T Semi Synthetic Oil 10W-40 any good?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 04:36:00 PM »
Any of the Motul products are awesome. I use their 10w40 7100 ester oil.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 04:38:10 PM »
Congrats! Good Scooter Choice.

Kymco asks for a 10W40 with a at least SG Classification (API).

The mentioned  Oil has a API SL, JASO MA Classification.

SL is way better than SG, because L comes way after G in the Alphabet.

So, guess what?  :) ;) Have Fun and Ride safe!

Merry Christmas!  :)
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 08:29:56 PM »
Welcome to the group Mr Cruz. Hope you enjoy your new scoot. It's a fine little ride. I have a 2012 Like and have used  Amsoil Scooter 10w-40 since the break- in oil  was changed at 500 miles. Bike runs like new with no issues. ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 04:05:26 AM »
Congrats on the new scoot, get some mirror extenders so you can see clearly behind you.

CrzRani

• Rani
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 12:52:59 AM »
I'm in the same boat.  Got 200 miles on mine already, so this is handy info.  Need to take it in and get the service done!
Why lose weight, buy more horsepower......

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 01:20:48 AM »
Service is your key. Either keep on top of maintenance, or keep repairing. Maintenance is way cheaper.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 04:06:09 PM »
I'm in the same boat.  Got 200 miles on mine already, so this is handy info.  Need to take it in and get the service done!
Please post results of your experience with your first dealer servicing. Price they charged you and what service they performed.
You have a great scoot - being nosy , what did you pay OTR for your LIKE200I?
Thanks, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 09:22:42 PM »
Welcome, MrCruz! You got the best advice already and I can't add a thing. Do what they tole ya! Don't be a stranger and you came to the right place with a great scoot!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

CrzRani

• Rani
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 11:13:48 PM »
Please post results of your experience with your first dealer servicing. Price they charged you and what service they performed.
You have a great scoot - being nosy , what did you pay OTR for your LIKE200I?
Thanks, Stig
I actually did not take my scoot to the dealer to get its service.  My best friend owns a motorcycle shop, so he does all of my services on all of my bikes.  We followed the manual and performed all of the required; oil, screen, valve, and drive train.  Of course the inspections, etc.

As for the price, keep in mind I live in California, but I paid OTD was $2696.  I wasn't able to find it any cheaper anywhere within a 200 mile radius with the two-tone color. 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 01:20:44 AM »
I actually did not take my scoot to the dealer to get its service.  My best friend owns a motorcycle shop, so he does all of my services on all of my bikes.  We followed the manual and performed all of the required; oil, screen, valve, and drive train.  Of course the inspections, etc.

As for the price, keep in mind I live in California, but I paid OTD was $2696.  I wasn't able to find it any cheaper anywhere within a 200 mile radius with the two-tone color. 
Thanks for the reply ...and that was a good price for the LX out the door.
Did you guys really do the valve check? - Good for you! The valve adjustment is  so darn easy to get at on this particular scooter.
With a buddy operating a motorcylce shop - you are all set!
The Kymco warranty permits you to work on your own scoot - you just can't screw it up.....same as most warranties.
Keep receipts for the oil purchases, etc. and log the work in the back of your manual.(date and mileage)
Ride safe & enjoy this great scooter.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CrzRani

• Rani
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 12:09:50 AM »
Thanks for the reply ...and that was a good price for the LX out the door.
Did you guys really do the valve check? - Good for you! The valve adjustment is  so darn easy to get at on this particular scooter.
With a buddy operating a motorcylce shop - you are all set!
The Kymco warranty permits you to work on your own scoot - you just can't screw it up.....same as most warranties.
Keep receipts for the oil purchases, etc. and log the work in the back of your manual.(date and mileage)
Ride safe & enjoy this great scooter.
Stig
Thanks, will do.  We found this handy video on YouTube just to confirm what we were doing, but my buddy was confident about the engine work anyways.  Although we didn't use a butter knife, like this Canadian did, Eh.   :P

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()