Author Topic: Got scammed for Christmas  (Read 4976 times)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Got scammed for Christmas
« on: December 26, 2014, 07:24:37 PM »
Well, someone used a stolen credit card and fake ID to buy a 2012 Agility 125 at our shop. Actual owner of the card did a chargeback (totally justified on their part) and now we're out a scooter, title fees, and helmet ($2700) and don't have one cent of the money. All of this hit the DAY before Christmas. The scam artist "bought" the scooter Nov. 25th, and the chargeback just came in the 23rd. The cop that did the report ran his "ID" and everything was totally fake, no return on his name and birthday, the license number went to a totally different person. Strangely enough the DMV is STILL ISSUING A TITLE TO THE BULLsh** INFORMATION HE GAVE US!!!!!!!!!!! I hope very much to see this scooter pop up on Craigslist in the near future, it'll be time for him to say hello to my little friend ;). Who the f*** scams a local small business with TWO EMPLOYEES?!!?!?! I know there aren't very many people on here from the NorthWest, but if there are keep your eyes out for a sketchy seeming craigslist add for a Blue 2012 Agility 125. Hope everyone had a good Christmas!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

big blue

• View Profile
Re: Got scammed for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 08:47:51 PM »
Definitely will keep an eye out  B&L. Sorry for your misfortune. :-\
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 09:02:02 PM by big blue »
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 09:40:56 PM »
Any finger prints on paperwork the dude signed, any video? Doesn't the title/dmv paperwork need to be mailed to him?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 10:02:44 PM »
I'm sure it's long gone. It's kind of in the cops hands at this point. The DMV is utterly useless (Not new info to anyone). These guys had a very well planned out scam and we got taken pretty good.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
sorry to hear this
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 10:38:40 PM »
I hope you find the thief and recover your scoot.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 11:24:21 PM »
Sorry to read this.

German authorities don't issue number plates without checked VIN, passport and bank account.
In the periodical vehicle inspection (and sometimes in traffic control) the VIN and insurance is checked again.
Thiefs usually have to sell a vehicle in parts (without frame) or carry them far east, out of EU, because it's only a matter of time...

Your DMV perhaps still doesn't know about the very recent matter.
But probably they will revoke registration and trace down the vehicle?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 11:49:22 PM »
What a mess.

I agree w/ Ts.. The bike will be stripped for parts. It's a 2 minute job to switch the VIN tag but scratching of the frame number is a dead giveaway.

The Credit card I understand but how did they spoof the Drivers Lisc?
Florida has UV light holograms embossed into the card.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 02:39:28 AM »
Those Chinese fake ID's you can buy are really good, they even fool the cops.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 03:01:18 AM »
Those Chinese fake ID's you can buy are really good, they even fool the cops.

Got a web address??  Strictly for research, don't ya know.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 05:32:28 AM »
That's a huge bummer,  man.  Hopefully something will work out on your part. 

I bought my scoot used,  all original keyed items gone (seat and glove box) and after market ignition. I did get a bill of sale and checked the vin on the frame below the handlebars online,  showed no hits.  I still keep the bill of sale and the number to the guy I got it from on hand just in case. 
People around here seem to steal these things enough to worry me and shows my luck with all the times my dumb a** leaves the keys in the ignition at random public places...
In my area,  a kymco would be easy to find.  And I would definitely get him for ya! 
Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

MooseMax

• This space for rent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 07:30:29 AM »
Sorry you have to grow through this, B&L.  If they sold it on Craigslist, they probably did it already, so try explaining the situation to the Craigslist staff and ask them search their records for the bike.  They'll have records of their IP address, email, and/or phone #, which could be used by law enforcement to track them down.  You can contact CL using the "legal" link on this page:
http://craigslist.org/contact

Did you get them on video?
People 250
San Francisco, USA

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 08:22:48 AM »
No video unfortunately. I'd be really surprised if they were able to sell it yet, no title or plate. If they're smart it's long gone on eBay as parts. I'm hoping they're dumb and i and up seeing it in CL spring or whenever.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 04:04:53 PM »
Really sorry to hear this, B&L. A 2.7 kilo buck nick is tough for a small business. Alas, I have no bright ideas beyond what has been discussed so far. I am from the PNW originally and even that is no help. I am sure you will keep this gang posted for any news.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 04:35:14 PM »
Scary part is what do you do to prevent this from happening again in the future? The dude had a convincing ID and a CC that gets the heads up, most folks aren't experts on fake IDs.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 05:00:16 PM »
We have policy changes to prevent this again, two forms of ID for starters. The most messed up part to me, i was under the impression the dmv checks identity when issuing a title, not the case. According to the cop that ran the fake ID his name was a no match, and the license number went to someone in California. Then dmv did NO checking of identity. As a dealer we have no way of checking a seemingly legit ID, so we trusted that the dmv does at least a little cross checking. And on the phone with them, the main office in Salem, they said thru can't even stop the title being mailed out next week!!!!! No one i spoke with on the phone seemed phased that they are issuing a title to a fake person, and not a hint of wrongdoing on their end. The dmv is one of the biggest scams perpetrated on the American people, for the soul purpose of ripping people off.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()