Author Topic: Kymco getting attaboys on forums  (Read 3141 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Kymco getting attaboys on forums
« on: December 30, 2014, 08:22:40 PM »
Thought it was interesting to see that Kymco products were getting so many positive comments on some other scooter forums.
The Downtown got most of them, and there is some building excitement over the coming Downtown 350I in the spring of 2015.
 Concerns over dealer availability and adequate servicing caused some buyers to bring home other brands of scooters.....though many agreed that Kymco has earned a good reputation for their build quality within the scootering crowd.
I have come to agree with most of this: I have a good scooter which is let down by indifferent- to- poor dealer service support. Sales guys are not knowledgeable of Kymco or Honda scooters but they are very friendly, great lighting & parking, lots of accessories sold by lots of young gals in too tight jeans and lowcut t shirts, while the parts dept is overmanned and understocked.
These guys have been in business for a long time...and survived the crash of 09....so they must be doing a lot of things right. Just not with scooters ....but nobody outside of Naples is going to thrive by selling scooters!!
Such is the lot in life of a scooter enthusiast in N. America.
If I'd had any sense I'd a bought the Honda CB300F bike for $1500 less than my same size engined scooter!
But I love my scooter! :-)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco getting attaboys on forums
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 10:37:21 PM »
That's where the dividing line is. Service, and repairs.

Funny thing tho... You'd never catch me on a 50cc street bike OR a 300cc scooter. Since I do all my own work, I found a "niche" that I like. 50cc scooters or 400cc, and larger bikes.

Getting back to Kymco's Rep... I have seen the same. Those that know Kymco will tout Kymco as a very good value. The issue ALWAYS comes back to dealer service.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

MooseMax

• This space for rent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 01:21:03 AM »
If I'd had any sense I'd a bought the Honda CB300F bike for $1500 less than my same size engined scooter!

Yeah, but how big's the Met-in Box of the Honda?  Mine can hold tons of repair tools, including an air compressor, multimeter, and a few beers.  If the Honda breaks down on the road, you better hope AAA can find you!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:30:23 AM by MooseMax »
People 250
San Francisco, USA

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 02:40:10 AM »
O boy I can say a lot about this post but ill be nice and keep it to my self.im sure you can find my feelings on this in some of my older post.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 03:04:26 AM »
I love Kymco, and have been convincing people to buy them and working on them for going in 6 years... I love my old school Kymco. In my personal opinion, they are going the wrong way with their scooters. It was a VERY poor decision to start manufacturing in mainland China. There is a HUGE difference in quality between their 100% Taiwan scooters and the made in China ones. The funny part is they charge practically the same amount!!!! We were selling People 50 a couple years ago for $2399 and the like 50 is $2399 also, even though the build quality on the people is noticeably better. I still stand by the product, they just don't have the same high quality feel. I don't like the fact that they don't import any 250cc bikes anymore for people that can't quite afford the EFI 300. They are letting other brands steal market share on the 50cc class, when they could be dominating if they tried. Is a tough sell when people ask "aren't Kymco made in Taiwan?" And i have to say welllll kinda lol. I know, everyone has to save a dollar and raise the bottom line, but the made in China aspect is terrible imho. Granted they are 100x better than the genetic China made crap, but not as good as Taiwan made.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 01:22:40 PM »
Yeah, but how big's the Met-in Box of the Honda?  Mine can hold tons of repair tools, including an air compressor, multimeter, and a few beers.  If the Honda breaks down on the road, you better hope AAA can find you!
I don't live in Siberia....if my scoot breaks down I walk over to Tim Horton and think it through.....
Or, or, or..try this reasoning.......you buy a HONDA so that you'll never BE walking. (no need to carry tools either, for the same reason :-) :-)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 10:28:14 PM »
I don't live in Siberia....if my scoot breaks down I walk over to Tim Horton and think it through.....
Or, or, or..try this reasoning.......you buy a HONDA so that you'll never BE walking. (no need to carry tools either, for the same reason :-) :-)
Stig

Well you'll be walking while waiting for recalled parts. Last I checked my DT has never been down or recalled. Dude you really laid up an easy ball to hit. ;)

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 10:31:25 PM »
Stig

You just Jinxed it Stig. I posted the cure for Blue yesterday.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 11:44:10 PM »
One day I may be in the market for a 250cc/300 scoot and Kymco would be on my list to look at. Look at the MSRP on just a Suzuki 200 scoot $4999 and you can see why. Probably buy a used kymco this time anyway. I'm in love with my movie 150 so that's going to be in a few years.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 11:54:50 PM »
Well you'll be walking while waiting for recalled parts. Last I checked my DT has never been down or recalled. Dude you really laid up an easy ball to hit. ;)

Be Big,
AMAC
Nope. I rode my Honda to get the recalled part installed.
During the 5 months I waited for my Kymco to get fixed under warranty, I bought a Honda to keep riding.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 12:15:24 AM »
You can't argue with Hondas track record for reliability, bikes and cars. But in the end a machine is a machine and stuff can/will break.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 11:27:45 AM »
Nope. I rode my Honda to get the recalled part installed.
During the 5 months I waited for my Kymco to get fixed under warranty, I bought a Honda to keep riding.
Stig

Of course you did.
Doesn't change the fact that it's been recalled almost out of the gate. But that's Ok.....
High point for Honda is they can fix thos fast as they have sold so few.

"More cool aid please"

Be Big,
AMAC
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:42:04 AM by Amac1680 »
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 01:32:35 PM »
I have to admit that Kymco was not my first choice.  I was a Burgman rider before owning my Xciting 500 and had plans on buying another Burgie.  However she grew on me, and I have to admit that I enjoy riding the Kymco much more than I ever did the Burgman.

That being said I do with the Kymco had a bit more storage but overall I would buy one again in a heartbeat.  Not that I'm giving up my beloved Kimmie any time in the future.

:)
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 02:20:35 PM »
Kymco Downtown 300i has sold more than any other Scooter since 2011 .  I believe I read over 100,000 of them. Had a few sputters (battery ) with mine, but- my Dealer/Service place has done me well with TWO NEW batteries (last one with more cranking power ) and a free tire under the Warranty I bought (4 years ,unlimited tires) ...tire did not like roofing nail .

I'll stick with Kymco. Was, also , highest rated (2009) byConsumer Reports . My Dealer sells mostly Honda bikes (and their Scooters ) and recommend Kymco above the Honda Scoots .

Sorry, Stig...you'll never sell me on the Honda .
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 02:33:05 AM »
Just binged a pic of a Kymco Downtown 300i, nice looking scoot. I like it in orange or red. Once you get into the 300cc/some 250cc scoots the prices go into a whole different ballpark. Makes sense, more bang for the buck.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()