Author Topic: CVT tuning  (Read 15472 times)

gosku

• Start me up!
    • View Profile
Re: CVT tuning
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 08:22:39 AM »
I laughed my ass off, you're hilarious!

I've seen the ethanol column in one of the threads, I don't have any idea of how that is supposed to work but it surely looks nice and tall haha. I see you from greater perspective now Z, you're not only a scooter genius, you're a maniac  ;) So many projects and interests. Keep it up bro! Imma visit you on Mars for some nice hootch in the future  ;D I just need to slightly modify my People S and I will be there.
Kymco People S 50 2T 2008
Tecnigas Next-R Pipe
Malossi torsion controller 2512828
Malossi rollers 7g
Michelin City Grip front + Heidenau K66 rear

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 11:41:04 PM »
I'll distill the fuel for your trip Bro!. Maybe some "Space Speed" to keep ya goin' on that long ass trip.

I don't know what it is in me that makes me do the things I do. I've had more jobs that most people have had bicycles. More career choices than I can easily remember. Built more boats/cars/bikes/scooters than I could ever remember, and I still keep looking for the next best thing.

I'm running two businesses by myself MaxMarine Restoration, and Repair, and Carrabelle Engine Repair. Both legit, and paying taxes.
 The HydroFoil business is something I am developing for a retirement business.

The fuel column is my own vision of a renewable fuel source. I'd like to see it implemented on a mass scale in the next 15 years.

The classes in Chemistry, and Pharmacology are just to amuse myself. I've been a fan of Sasha Shulgin for a long time, and I thought it would be nice to see what he see's, plus learning how/why the human body works in relation to the chemistry involved is fascinating.

Hell just learning the principles involved in all the things I do is fascinating. It took me about a month to learn the software to design the boats I am working on...

On top of that I am working on a one of a kind web site, (raymaran.com) and establishing a forum to support the hydrofoil community.

7 dogs/5 cats, and most of a fake Elk... Full plate brother!!!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 11:47:17 PM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

gosku

• Start me up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »
I will take a cistern of that fuel, since in space there is no gravity the People S should be able to pull it somehow! And another one of booze.

Wow all the things that you do! So many of them. And you seem to be passionate about every one of them! But the retirement business? Oh come on, zombies don't retire!  8)

I'm on the beginning of the road, on the contrary. Not only here, at the forum, also in life. I'm studying Human Resources now, got a degree in Swedish philology and work full time in administration of an IT company. I like mountains and everything that has two wheels. I've started with bicycles, year after year I was making bigger trips, but also worked on my mechanic skills. I've always did everything regarding the bicycles I rode myself. Then my dad a few years ago bought the People S from a friend. I remember that he took me as a passenger on that day, later he got off and told me to try riding it. I did a big nice circle, then I stopped and I forgot that even that it's bigger and heavier than a bicycle, you still have to support yourself with a foot when you stop. I forgot about that, and I fell off on the left side, together with the scooter  ;D That was so stupid and funny. Then a few months later and I thought to give it a try again, because I needed some kind of the transport on that day. It was a sunny, warm day and the mountain roads where I come from are beautiful.  Since then, I did many miles on it, mostly on mixed trips (that's what I call a trip where I first ride it to some distant place near the mountains and then I get my ass up and spend the rest of the day on climbing or trekking some summits, and then I return). I always liked the freedom the two-wheelers are able to give you. Never was a fan of the sport bikes though. I'm thinking about driver's license now, would love to get a second, bigger bike - Suzuki DL VStrom 650. That's what I'm aiming at. But the People S stays within my family anyway! And I guess I like to fix things, improve them for better performance. And that is what got me here  8)

Tecnigas Next-R Pipe
Malossi rollers 7g

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 03:15:30 PM »
It really sounds like you're on the right path Gosku.
Keep you feet on the ground, and your head in the air. Keep seeking out the answers to whatever issue arises. Most of all, keep exploring.

I always find the coolest things when I am looking for nothing in particular.

Ps... Irish philosophy is much easier that Swedish... Pour another Whiskey tonight, and worry tomorrow.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

gosku

• Start me up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 09:30:40 PM »
Thanks Z. I will do my best.

It's a good advice. I think that when you're looking for something particular and you have your whole focus on it, you can sometimes become narrow minded, seeing the trees but not the forest itself. It's good to take a step back.

Haha that's right, I have a day off tomorrow and I think I'm gonna practice this philosophy. Will post later about the results  ;D

BTW, I'm going to buy the speedo drive gear tomorrow, I called one of the local shops and they have it on stock. Gonna grab a new OEM Bando belt too. Later this week I will order the Malossi spring, rollers and brake pads. I also found Malossi rear brake shoes, I think I will get those too.
Tecnigas Next-R Pipe
Malossi rollers 7g

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 09:54:02 PM »
You're golden Lil' brother!

Life is a great journey. Just beware of the conductor... Pick your own stops.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 02:08:11 AM »

Just a thought...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 02:12:29 AM by zombie »

gosku

• Start me up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 01:51:02 PM »
Wow, nice audition! Thanks buddy  :) Times may have changed, but these advices are still helpful.

Yea smoking crack on tv... LOL. Pretty badass  8)
Tecnigas Next-R Pipe
Malossi rollers 7g

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 04:10:39 PM »
I watched Dead Snow last night... Hilarious but it was in Polish, and I didn't D'load the subs. I got enough of it to see it was kinda like Evil Dead. One of my all time favorites.

They tried to make it scary, and some bits were but for the most part... Funny as hell! Thanks!

Tonight Part II!

gosku

• Start me up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 04:36:44 PM »
Glad you liked it! That's exactly what I'm thinking about that movie - it's something between scary and funny, and quite silly but in a positive way.

I haven't had the time to watch the part 2 yet, but will definitely do that soon.
Tecnigas Next-R Pipe
Malossi rollers 7g

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 02:21:54 AM »
Finally got Tecnigas Next-R pipe installed.  I originally tried to order 1-1-15, took 2 weeks to figure out they didn't accept my credit card payment, so ordered again.  Long story short, took long time for parts to come in.  By the time I got the parts, wasn't sure I still wanted to mess with my 50's anymore.  Been looking at Sym HD200, Honda PCX150, People S 200, etc.  Finally got over bigger scooters, still like my 50's the best.

For test, I just installed the pipe, added pod air filter, and rejetted the carb.  People 50 2T is AC so I wanted to be sure jetted rich, because seems like I run it WOT 90% of the time.  I installed the largest jets I had:  45 idle jet, and 108 main jet.  Fired it up and took for test run approx 1 hour, maybe 40 miles.  I wasn't planning to run it that long, but was so much fun, I just kept going and going.

Runs good, top end definitely better, mid range a little better, low end not as good as before, but that was expected.  Actually, wasn't bad low end, seemed to run a little better longer I ran it, maybe blew out the pipe a little.  Pipe was a lot quieter than old Tecnigas pipe on Super 9, so new muffler makes a big difference.

For CVT, as recommended by Z, I have Malossi 5.1 gr rollers, and Malossi purple torque spring.  I pulled off the CVT cover, and took off the variator and clutch.  Everything looked good and appeared to be OEM.  I checked the width of the belt and seemed a little less than new belt, but appeared OK.  I measured and came to approx 17mm, so I didn't replace it.  I replaced the rollers with new Malossi 5.1 gr rollers and put it all back together.  I want to test it again, before I change out the torque spring.  The torque spring looked red, so maybe that was aftermarket, I don't know.

I used my impact driver to disassemble and reassemble with blue loctite .  I would rather use a torque wrench, but haven't firgured out how to hold variator/ clutch, plus seems everybody else just slams it on with impact drivers now a days.

Supposed to rain next few days, so will test and report back when I can.  I didn't test tonight, want to let loctite set.

I really like my People 50 2T, maybe as well as Super 9 LC.  Super 9's are pretty rare around here, but People 50's come up from time to time, will probably get another one.  Cheers

1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

gosku

• Start me up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 08:56:19 AM »
Hi Chaz! I'm glad to see the progress and that you didn't abandon the sweet 50  ;)

For sure it's better to run a little more on the rich side than lean! I'm very curious how is the bike going to run on 5.1 rollers with a red (OEM?) spring. I'm planning to do my upgrades in about 2 weeks, have some sets of the Malossi rollers prepared as well as the purple spring, but I was thinking to just go down with 1 gram on the rollers and then see if that fits my needs :)

You have a stock/OEM carburetor right?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 09:07:19 AM by gosku »
Tecnigas Next-R Pipe
Malossi rollers 7g

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 06:38:40 PM »
5.1 gr rollers too light, engine revs past powerband, scooter slower.  I left the purple torque spring in and reinstalled the OEM rollers (I think 8 gr), and works pretty well, maybe a little better than stock.  I don't know, but think OEM torque spring is OK, just need some lighter rollers, maybe 7 or 6 gr would work well.  I am pretty sure I had OEM torque spring, it had some red paint on it, but was not stiff, was softer than purple spring.

Was really educational to see the effect of the 5.1 gr rollers, just like installing lower gear.  I still had good top speed, so 5.1 gr rollers were heavy enough with purple spring, but with a stiffer spring, would probably effect top speed too.

5.1 gr rollers would probably work OK with racing engine.  Kart racing 2 cycle engines usually make peak torque approx 10,000 to 11,000 revs.  I can tell People 50 engine makes peak torque way below anything like that.  Wish I had a tach and cylinder head temp hooked up to it, could really tune it then.  Actually, only need cylinder head temp, you can tell when making HP when get higher temps, so you know engine is working at peak torque zone, because it's making a lot of temp.  Also, can tell from tone of exhaust, it's loudest, sounds the coolest when making max torque, like a mean chain saw on it's powerband.

CVT's are really cool the way they work.  I didn't have any trouble working on it, but I have a nice impact driver, which helps a lot.  I even had a 1.5" socket to take apart the clutch, so that was cool.  Haven't quite got relationship between roller weight and stiffness of torque spring down, but have a pretty good idea now.  If engine is running too slow, need lighter rollers, if engine is over revving, need heavier rollers.  I don't really think you need a stiffer torque spring with street engine set-up, just lighter rollers, but I am no expert for sure.

Cheers

1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

demeter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2015, 05:00:31 AM »
Finally got Tecnigas Next-R pipe installed.  I originally tried to order 1-1-15, took 2 weeks to figure out they didn't accept my credit card payment, so ordered again.  Long story short, took long time for parts to come in.  By the time I got the parts, wasn't sure I still wanted to mess with my 50's anymore.  Been looking at Sym HD200, Honda PCX150, People S 200, etc.  Finally got over bigger scooters, still like my 50's the best.

For test, I just installed the pipe, added pod air filter, and rejetted the carb.  People 50 2T is AC so I wanted to be sure jetted rich, because seems like I run it WOT 90% of the time.  I installed the largest jets I had:  45 idle jet, and 108 main jet.  Fired it up and took for test run approx 1 hour, maybe 40 miles.  I wasn't planning to run it that long, but was so much fun, I just kept going and going.

Runs good, top end definitely better, mid range a little better, low end not as good as before, but that was expected.  Actually, wasn't bad low end, seemed to run a little better longer I ran it, maybe blew out the pipe a little.  Pipe was a lot quieter than old Tecnigas pipe on Super 9, so new muffler makes a big difference.

For CVT, as recommended by Z, I have Malossi 5.1 gr rollers, and Malossi purple torque spring.  I pulled off the CVT cover, and took off the variator and clutch.  Everything looked good and appeared to be OEM.  I checked the width of the belt and seemed a little less than new belt, but appeared OK.  I measured and came to approx 17mm, so I didn't replace it.  I replaced the rollers with new Malossi 5.1 gr rollers and put it all back together.  I want to test it again, before I change out the torque spring.  The torque spring looked red, so maybe that was aftermarket, I don't know.

I used my impact driver to disassemble and reassemble with blue loctite .  I would rather use a torque wrench, but haven't firgured out how to hold variator/ clutch, plus seems everybody else just slams it on with impact drivers now a days.

Supposed to rain next few days, so will test and report back when I can.  I didn't test tonight, want to let loctite set.

I really like my People 50 2T, maybe as well as Super 9 LC.  Super 9's are pretty rare around here, but People 50's come up from time to time, will probably get another one.  Cheers

I just got mine a few days ago from RC Europe. Took a little over 30 days. Incredible pipe!

Mine came derestricted. Might want to make sure yours is derestricted if you want every ounce of power.
2010 Like 50 2T (Malossi 70cc BBK, Tecnigas Next-R, Blue Polini Torque Spring, Yellow Clutch Springs, 5.5g Sliders, Stock Carb: 95 MJ, Stock Airbox Drilled, PIAA GT-X Headlight, Kolite 5630 Running Lights, 140/70-12 Rear Tire)

gosku

• Start me up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2015, 10:35:51 AM »
If engine is running too slow, need lighter rollers, if engine is over revving, need heavier rollers.

I think your "rule" is pretty accurate and very simple! Thanks for details of your testing experience. If I remember correctly the OEM rollers are 8.1 gram. I'm planning to leave the spring as it is and insert 7 gram rollers and if it won't be good (but I honestly believe it will be better!) I will change to 6 gram. I'm keeping the 5.1 gram rollers and purple spring as a third option.

If you say that OEM spring was softer than the purple, it would mean that you could try a bit heavier rollers now with the purple spring, probably 6 or 7 gram. And for the OEM spring the rollers wouldn't need to be so heavy because it's soft as you said - a slight change of weight, from 8 gram to 6 or 7 could work nice!

This is all in theory, I'm no expert!

Good that you have proper tools! You can test many different settings now just by yourself.
Tecnigas Next-R Pipe
Malossi rollers 7g

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()