Author Topic: CVT tuning  (Read 15470 times)

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
Re: CVT tuning
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2015, 02:49:37 PM »
B&L, when I ride my Super 9, I like it the best, but funny when I ride my People 50, I like it the best.

When I 1st discovered Aprilia Scarabeo 50 2Ts I really liked them, still do.  I almost bought one, but in end they are always more $'s than People 50's.  Plus, I am comfortable with Kymco and working on/ getting parts for Aprilia is an unknown.  I have seen a few disparaging comments about getting parts from Aprilia/ Piaggio, but have no personal experience, it's probably not an issue, but I don't know.

I actually like the way the People 50 looks better than Scarabeo now too.  The Scarabeo looks a little more feminine to me, People a little more manly.  A lot depends on paint color, because if you search for images, there are some really cool looking Scarabeo's out there and some People's, like two tone white with baby blue that definitely look like a girl's scooter.

One issue for me is does the Super 9 LC stock OEM engine make more HP than the AC engine?  I know it's capable of more HP, but that's not my question.  I am thinking it makes about the same HP, is ported the same, has the same compression, has same carb, will run about the same derestricted with Tecnigas pipe, rejetted carb, pod air filter like I run mine, but I don't know.
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2015, 06:02:07 PM »
B&L, when I ride my Super 9, I like it the best, but funny when I ride my People 50, I like it the best.

When I 1st discovered Aprilia Scarabeo 50 2Ts I really liked them, still do.  I almost bought one, but in end they are always more $'s than People 50's.  Plus, I am comfortable with Kymco and working on/ getting parts for Aprilia is an unknown.  I have seen a few disparaging comments about getting parts from Aprilia/ Piaggio, but have no personal experience, it's probably not an issue, but I don't know.

I actually like the way the People 50 looks better than Scarabeo now too.  The Scarabeo looks a little more feminine to me, People a little more manly.  A lot depends on paint color, because if you search for images, there are some really cool looking Scarabeo's out there and some People's, like two tone white with baby blue that definitely look like a girl's scooter.

One issue for me is does the Super 9 LC stock OEM engine make more HP than the AC engine?  I know it's capable of more HP, but that's not my question.  I am thinking it makes about the same HP, is ported the same, has the same compression, has same carb, will run about the same derestricted with Tecnigas pipe, rejetted carb, pod air filter like I run mine, but I don't know.

Yeah man, I flipped a Scabeo 50cc a while ago. Drove it for a month or so. Awesome bike, has the minarelli (zuma) engine. I liked the bike, not quite as fast as the older p50. ZERO storage, smaller gas tank, horrible Italian design that is really hard to work on the carb and engine, very, very skinny tires ( I swapped mine to P50 tires!!). As for the LC Vs AC Kymco, they prolly put out the same power stock vs stock. The liquid cooling makes a huge difference after modded.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2015, 12:02:28 AM »
B&L thanks for reply.  I see Super 9 AC and LC and wonder if AC would be good.  I am thinking AC would work well for me, because I am not going to mod it a lot.

What's a P50, I searched the web and saw pics of last Honda moped, maybe you were slamming Scarabeo?, OK with me, I got over them LOLs.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2015, 01:11:34 AM »
B&L thanks for reply.  I see Super 9 AC and LC and wonder if AC would be good.  I am thinking AC would work well for me, because I am not going to mod it a lot.

What's a P50, I searched the web and saw pics of last Honda moped, maybe you were slamming Scarabeo?, OK with me, I got over them LOLs.  Cheers

The P50= People 50!!!!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2015, 02:49:17 AM »
OK, I get it, I can be slow sometimes.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2015, 05:14:33 AM »
Also the air cooled motor can be tuned for over 15hp, no pig at all. The only difference is with liquid cooling there is less thermal expansion so the tolerances can be higher, and you can run at full load for longer without heat soaking the cylinder and locking up the motor. I've heard that the liquid cooled kymco engine was the bees knees back in the early 2000's in the euro racing scene. For daily use, air cooled works flawlessly.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2015, 01:52:16 PM »
On the LC version, I like the rear disk brakes and extra swing arm support on the muffler side.  But the drum brakes are more than adequate on my People 50, so should be the same on Super 9 AC.  Also, I like the look of the open rear wheel.  Some trade offs, but overall I think I like the AC better.

If it runs like my People 50 2T, that is good enough for me.

Raining here, so probably no riding today.  Cheers

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2015, 03:25:57 AM »
Got in my Malossi torque driver 618317.  Very difficult to see any difference in angle of 2 sets of slots, but i believe there is a slight difference between the 2.  Based upon my experience with Kymco OEM torque driver and looking at the parts detail, it appears the slots with steeper angle will shift to higher gear sooner, but I am just guessing.  I will just try it and see how it goes, then try it the other way, and see if makes a difference, all else being the same.

Had set back with tires today.  I got in some really nice Heidenau K63 tires.  Turns out 16" rims are a little harder to install than 12" that I already installed on my Super 9.  Long story short, I got front tire on, but will not bead up, I was too rough with it.  I even messed up the OEM front tire taking it off and it will not bead up either.  I did figure out trick, have to take off on each side, then slip the rim through the middle, if you know what I mean.  Normally, just take tires off on one side or the other of the rim, but these puppies didn't like that approach.

I really like look/ feel of these Heidenau's, wish I had some on my Super 9 instead of Avon Viper Stykes.  Oh well, will order another front tire and try again.  1st see if I can get rear on OK, hopefully don't have to buy complete set and take it somewhere to have them changed out.  Cheers

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2015, 07:26:14 PM »
Worked to install Malossi torque driver, appears was sent the wrong part.  Has different dimension than OEM, a larger OD step at bottom so the spring collar will not fit flush to bottom with the pulley.  OEM part does not have step at the bottom of the shaft with the guide grooves, spring collar goes all the way down and is flush at the top and bottom.  I received Malossi packaging already cut open, so I think correct part was swapped for some reason.  I called supplier, will report back how it goes.

Got my rear tire mounted up OK, so know how to mount them now.  Cheers

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2015, 12:14:47 AM »
Appears there is new and old style Malossi torque driver 618317, and unfortunately I got the old style.  Problem is, the old style has a lip that needs to be machined off to fit Kymco.  There is thread on scooterinvasion site that discusses situation that is dated 2007.  Plus, after you get the part machined, it leaks grease.

Current pics of this part Malossi 618317 do not have the lip and have two o-rings like Kymco OEM torque driver, so apparently Malossi fixed the problems.  I would like to have the new part that fits without modification, but appears Malossi still uses same pn.  I don't want to buy another one and get the same one I already have.

I do bolt-on mods only, no machining, way too much trouble for what I am trying to do.

So, I am done with CVT mods.  Scooter runs great, wasn't sure I needed the Malossi torque driver anyway.  So, for my Super 9 LC will not be buying another Malossi torque driver, and at this point I do not recommend it.

CVT mods as follows:  Malossi variator kit 519988 with Malossi 9gr rollers that came with kit, OEM torque spring because Malossi White torque spring that came with kit is way too stiff, and Malossi yellow plastic torque controller 2512828 extra part not included in variator kit.  I believe everything else is OEM.  This set-up works really well with my other mods:  Tecnigas Next-R pipe, re-jetted carb 108 main jet, 45 slow jet, and pod air filter.

Next, got to get my Super 9 LC running like my People 50 2T.   Should be easy, just like People.

Got front tire beaded up too.  These Heidenau looks awesome, can't wait to ride it, but still raining.  Cheers

gosku

• Start me up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2015, 08:50:53 AM »
Sorry to hear that some parts didn't fit. I had same problem with rear brakes, bought a Malossi kit which was supposed to fit my Kymco but it didn't. Luckily the OEM rear brake shoes are okay. The front brake pads were nearly completely worn out, swapped them to Polini ones and I can recommend them (I did 500 miles with them so far).

Awesome that you posted all the parts that you have installed, if someone will be looking here in the future they will have a good answer for their questions :)

My set is currently OEM variator, OEM torque spring, Malossi 7 gram rollers, Malossi torque controller 2512828. The bike runs great with Tecnigas pipe, OEM filter and derestricted CDI, regarding the jets I still have to check them as I don't know the size. Bike has smooth acceleration, has power to climb hills and the RPM's are always nice. The top end speed regarding to the Kymco speedometer also is upgraded thanks to the CVT upgrade by around 6 kmh (I have top end around 80 km/h now), although I haven't confirmed this with a GPS device.

Chaz, what pod filter are you using? Do you remember some specific part number?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 08:54:56 AM by gosku »
Kymco People S 50 2T 2008
Tecnigas Next-R Pipe
Malossi torsion controller 2512828
Malossi rollers 7g
Michelin City Grip front + Heidenau K66 rear

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2015, 04:21:01 PM »
On the People 50 2T I was able to use straight filter and used one left over from a kart engine:  Briggs and Stratton Part# 698973 Green Air Filter Briggs World Formula Same as #557043.

On my Super 9 LC I needed angled filter to clear rear spring:  Uni 2-Stage Angle Pod Filter - 38mm I.D. x 102mm Length UP4152AST.  The Uni part # for straight:  Uni Filter UP-4152ST.

There are some really cheap pod filters out there that would probably work OK, but I went ahead and bought a Uni, which has a pretty good reputation for quality.  However, you can spend a lot more.  The Green Air Filter I am using on the People is probably 2x's what a Uni costs.  I wouldn't buy more, already had it, so I am using it.

I am talking with supplier of the Malossi torque driver, he says contacted Malossi about issue, he thinks supposed to just bolt on, we will see.  I like the part, I think it may have some advantage, but probably not huge for street scooter.  If it doesn't work, I can live without it.

Sounds like yours is running awesome.  Cheers

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2015, 03:41:57 PM »
Got to compare People 50 2T to Super 9 LC.  My son-n-law rode the Super 9 and he's a little heavier, maybe 20#'s.  I was surprised, Super 9 definitely has more HP.  Not a huge difference, but noticeable.

I am starting a Super 9 LC CVT tuning thread.  I got the Super 9 home and I am working on it now.  Cheers

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()