Author Topic: Throttle stuck on Full People 50  (Read 5176 times)

goodymon

• View Profile
Throttle stuck on Full People 50
« on: October 26, 2009, 04:07:31 PM »
I have had a recurring problem with my throttle getting stuck at full on my people 50 2t.  The previous go around on this I had the dealer service it and they said it was the carb.

It has happened again and I have cleaned it several times now and I still have the problem. The engine starts up and goes right to full power and I have to kill it on the fuel cutoff. I have tried adjusting the air and idle screws to no effect. Am I on the right track and just not cleaning it thoroughly enough?  Or is possibly some other problem area?

Many thanks

juice

• View Profile
Re: Throttle stuck on Full People 50
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 04:51:55 PM »
Check the rubber throttle grip . It can cause the throttle to stick . Good luck .

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 05:58:08 PM »
Try pulling the air box off, and take a look inside the carb. bore. Is the slide hanging up? the idle screw in too far? The only other likely things could be the Jet(s) worked loose, or the main jet needle has come off the retainer, and is hung up too high. Turn the larger carb screw out a few turns while looking into the bore. You should see the throttle slider moving down. the smaller screw does the IDLE mixture, and if this were too far out of adjust. the scoot would not idle at all. When you twist the grip to full throttle you should NOT see the tip of the main jet needle. The last thing I could see is a bad, or frayed throttle cable. Take the top cap off the carb, pull the slider out, and twist the grip several times. the slider should feel smooth as silk w/ NO jumping, or resistance. with the throttle released try to pull on the slider to see if there is any slack inside the cable. Should be none. Try these, and please post back. You'll find it.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 07:35:15 PM »
Try pulling the air box off, and take a look inside the carb. bore. Is the slide hanging up? the idle screw in too far? The only other likely things could be the Jet(s) worked loose, or the main jet needle has come off the retainer, and is hung up too high. Turn the larger carb screw out a few turns while looking into the bore. You should see the throttle slider moving down. the smaller screw does the IDLE mixture, and if this were too far out of adjust. the scoot would not idle at all. When you twist the grip to full throttle you should NOT see the tip of the main jet needle. The last thing I could see is a bad, or frayed throttle cable. Take the top cap off the carb, pull the slider out, and twist the grip several times. the slider should feel smooth as silk w/ NO jumping, or resistance. with the throttle released try to pull on the slider to see if there is any slack inside the cable. Should be none. Try these, and please post back. You'll find it.

..also just look at the throttle cable connection on the side of your carb while twisting the throttle...does it move with the cable, and return back to the stop where your idle adjusting screw is when the throttle is released?

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

goodymon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 08:39:44 PM »
When the the cap and needle are in, I cannot see the needle moving (or feel it if I stick my finder in) when I twist the throttle. I tried adjusting the idle screw.  There just does not seem to be any play on the needle. The slider does rest a 2-3 millimeters above the top of the carb itself, even though (I think) have it all lined up inside. The throttle cable pipe at 90 degrees from the top cap has a little play. 

Is "jet needle off the retainer" mean how it is attached to the slider off the top of the carb?  I am not sure how to check for that.   It does seem as if once I put it in and tighten (I even tried keeping it a few turns from tight) all play is lost on the needle up and down.

The cable moves smoothly when I take it off the carb.

Now of course to boot I am losing vacuum seal on the carb so am having trouble starting it if off for too long. The fuel does not reach the carb unless I put my hand over the bore to seal it then put the airbox back on. I think I know what is going on there since the seal on the tube going into the box from the carb has broken (too many times pulling the darned airbox off). But once some fuel is in there it run (at full power only of course).

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 09:41:04 PM »
That slide should set all the way down into the carb. If you look in through the airbox side of the carb. you should see the slide sitting in the path of the air flow. When you twist the throttle you should see the slide move all the way up. If this is not true in your case the slide is miss-aligned. Post back
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

goodymon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 10:38:24 PM »
This has gotten me much closer.

- The alignment was off, but wow is that hard to get lined up and in.
- The slider was sticking up once in
- Pulled it again and used some carb cleaner on it and in the carb
- It works mostly

But still it seems to want to keep sticking up every few pulls on the throttle although half the time is (slowly) decelerates. Is there a trick to getting this thing sliding smoothly other than pulling the carb out and cleaning the part that houses the slider again (soaking it I guess)?

Appreciate all the help

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 10:57:32 PM »
Do you have a large spring between the slide and the top cap?  There should be one!  Those are pretty strong springs, so it should snap that slide right back down.  Otherwise, there should be a grove running vertically down the slide. Pull the slide out and make sure that groove is all clean.  The only other thing I can think of is the cable is gummed up in the housing, you may need to drip some lube down in there.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 01:00:45 AM »
Check the things shaka posted, and take a close look around the bottom of the slide. There may be a small burr from it resting on the alignment pin. Sounds like you got it licked though. Just a little more time, and a real close look will get it.

goodymon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 10:33:11 PM »
Many thanks to everyone ... this is all fixed up and now I know where to look next time since this is bound to happen again!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 12:09:05 AM »
What did you find? If it is fixed right you should have no future worries on it.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()