Author Topic: kymco Like vs Genuine Stella  (Read 4654 times)

jmwood1968

• View Profile
kymco Like vs Genuine Stella
« on: January 08, 2015, 09:00:33 AM »
I have a kymco S8 150 and I have enjoyed the great reliability. 10000 miles an no major issues just routine maintenance.
I have been wanting to add a Kymco Like because of the success I have had with the super 8.  Monday I stopped in the Genuine dealer an Stella has stolen my heart. I always loved Stella because of her retro styling.
Shes $400 out the door more than the like. But I keep going back to the fact that my super 8 has been virtually no problems an I cant help but wonder if Genuine will be the same?
I will keep my Super 8 as my daily ride an get the new scooter out for special occasions.
So has anyone had any experience or know of anyone with a Stella that had issues?

Thats the Stella manual not the automatic.
Kymco S8 150
Kymco Like 200i
Vespa PX150
Honda Fury
Honda Sabre

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: kymco Like vs Genuine Stella
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 04:54:32 PM »
I have a kymco S8 150 and I have enjoyed the great reliability. 10000 miles an no major issues just routine maintenance.
I have been wanting to add a Kymco Like because of the success I have had with the super 8.  Monday I stopped in the Genuine dealer an Stella has stolen my heart. I always loved Stella because of her retro styling.
Shes $400 out the door more than the like. But I keep going back to the fact that my super 8 has been virtually no problems an I cant help but wonder if Genuine will be the same?
I will keep my Super 8 as my daily ride an get the new scooter out for special occasions.
So has anyone had any experience or know of anyone with a Stella that had issues?

If its the 2t, go for it. I wouldn't get the 4t Stella. They aren't of super high quality, and shifter scooters you will want to learn how to do your own cable adjustments, tune UPS etc. There's quite a bit of maintenance on a manual shift scoot, but its a fun and more involved riding experience. The 2t will do a good 60 indicated. The 4t is gutless. Beware there are unexplained electrical fires and the such with Stella, I'm sure that's a rare occurrence though. ;)
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 06:51:44 PM »
Speaking of Genuine check out the buddy 170i. Nice scoot, another is the Kymco movie 150 whick I own. 13.5 hp and lots of giddyup, try the like too.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 07:04:17 PM »
The Buddy 170i is a quick little puppy. IMH the PGO engines kick the sh&$ out of the like "200" engine. The 170i, is exactly that, a 170cc engine. It has external oil filter (canister type, not just a screen). The 170i feels like it has twice the power of the Like. I hate to say it, selling Kymco scoots but the PGO engine is powerful and in a scooter that is more agile than the Like. The Stella is fun because you get to shift, it gives you that vintage Vespa feel. The quality is lower than Kymco or Buddy (PGO, different origin than the Stella). The Buddy is cramped if your 6ft+, but the Like isn't the most comfortable either. If you get a Stella, start memorizing the service manual or get ready to pay a Vespa shop a shi^ ton to repair/service it.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

jmwood1968

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 07:35:07 PM »
Thanks Betting for the information.  Its the 4 stroke an yes the maintenance would be more but isn't a big deal. Just didnt want a major problem. Been doing car motorcycle maintenance for years.
Thanks again
jw
Kymco S8 150
Kymco Like 200i
Vespa PX150
Honda Fury
Honda Sabre

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 07:46:05 PM »
Thanks Betting for the information.  Its the 4 stroke an yes the maintenance would be more but isn't a big deal. Just didnt want a major problem. Been doing car motorcycle maintenance for years.
Thanks again
jw

If your into the style the bike is cool, the 4t is pretty slow, but still fun to ride. A lot cleaner than the 2t LOL

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 09:53:26 PM »

Not sure what price you're finding for the new LIKE in your comparison shopping.
Have seen a lot of LIKE's for $2000....or less. Don't care what the KBB value says for the LIKE -try getting that BB price for your scoot and you'll see what I mean. LIKE's can be had for a song in a lot of places in the States.
My LIKE is a solid scooter....but most of the same engine size wiill outrun it. Any SYM's around...left over?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 07:07:54 PM »
Stella's fit and finish are not the best. If you're a wrencher the Stella will fit the bill. They do require more TLC than most, but that is their charm. If you just want something that you just need to follow the maintenance schedule the Stella is not for you.

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 04:21:58 AM »
My buddy developed three aweful rattles, and the panels never felt as sturdy as my kymcos, my Like had tons of small issues the worst being all locks breaking, got stranded a few times on it.  I say try the Stella.

Abner_Bjorn

• 5280 Scooter Group Rides on FB
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 01:53:47 AM »
All Genuine Scooter scooters are not created equal.  Stella is produced by LML in India.  Stellas are well known for quality control problems.  Buddys are made by PGO out of Taiwan.  PGO gets its name from Piaggio for whom they made scooter components for from 1972 to 1982. 
I owned a 2012 Like which I couldn't get rid of fast enough after 2500 miles.  I replaced it with a 2008 Buddy 125 which is a great scooter.  Much more comfortable than the like, similar performance and much simpler to diagnose than the like.  I wanted more power for hill climbing, so I just bought a 2014 Buddy 170i that had 90 miles on it.   In my opinion, the Buddy 170i is the scooter the Kymco Like wishes it could be.   There are plenty of Buddy 125s running around with over 30,000 trouble free miles.  Parts and aftermarket accessories are easy to find for the Buddy, and best of all, they are designed with a full grown American male in mind.  The buddy looks small and a bit quirky, but the ride is smooth and responsive. 
Less chit chat, more riding.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 02:46:20 AM »
When I first went looking for a scooter I checked out the Buddy 170i. It was and is a nice scooter, but felt way too small for me. I'm only 5'9". I hated that the deck was just big enough for a size 10 shoe. It was lIke being strapped into a snowboard. I like the Like for the extra deck room similar to a Vespa. Be sure to check both out before deciding.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 05:35:33 AM »
The engine on the buddy 170 is 100% Taiwan made, super high quality engine. Favorite thing is they actually use a remote oil filter and cooler setup. I would agree tho, the buddy is small... But more comfortable than the like. I'm pretty sure it would smoke a like 0-60 also, I've never topped one out but my butt dyno never lies.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 06:47:36 PM »
I'd rather have a filter too, but on a lot of smaller motors you have no choice. Back in the 70s most of my 2wheels didn't have filters and never did I have an engine die due to the oils condition. I just believe in changing it often. 1000 miles is my schedule after the 1st change.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 11:33:59 PM »
I'd rather have a filter too, but on a lot of smaller motors you have no choice. Back in the 70s most of my 2wheels didn't have filters and never did I have an engine die due to the oils condition. I just believe in changing it often. 1000 miles is my schedule after the 1st change.
I'll agree with that you don't NEED it on a small engine, and it's kinda over kill, but i still like it. The remote filter acts as a small reservoir holding extra oil.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()