Author Topic: Squeeky sound in the cold temps!  (Read 679 times)

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Squeeky sound in the cold temps!
« on: January 19, 2015, 06:02:24 PM »
I need some advice!
My Super 8 150 has thrown me another mystery.
Ever since the weather got below freezing (yes, I'm riding all year, even in the butt-clenching cold), I've notice an occasional squeeking sound from the front wheel. It's not constant, just at random times. I've spun the wheel by hand, and it only does it when spinning forward, but not if I spin it backwards.
If the temp get back up in the mid 40s or higher, it's perfectly silent like normal. But when it drops below freezing again, It will sometimes make the squeek, and then behave again. Like I said, completely random.
I checked the wheel for any looseness, and it's solid. No play at all, and no wobble or funny handling when riding.
Where would be the most obvious culprit to look at. The front brakes are fine.
A friend said it could be the speedo drive needing to be greased. I've got just over 4000 miles on it.
Would the wheel bearings start going bad that soon?
Or, could it just be a cold weather quirk? Like I said, when the temps go up, it doesn't make a peep!
Just looking for some direction before I pull the whole front wheel off.
Thanks in advance!

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: Squeeky sound in the cold temps!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 10:25:41 PM »
  good idea pull the front wheel and clean it off,   and put full synthetic grease,  and it will run better too,  hope you have a heated garage,.   my garage is 10 below today it warmed up a little,.  is spring just around the corner yet,,    I did front and back when I did mine!

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 11:41:57 PM »
I don't have a garage at all. Just a bike cover and a Brinks 1/2 inch lock cable. I'll be pulling the wheel to check it in the next day or so while it's not raining for a change.

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 11:58:01 PM »
Might be your pads rubbing on the rotor slightly or a wheel bearing issue. Do these have floating calipers? Hope someone chimes in who knows the answer to that. If so the pins where the calipers ride might need to be lubed. Warped caliper needs to be checked for. Eye ball head on while spinning the wheel to see. Do these have sealed bearings or old fashion bearings that can be packed with grease?

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Re:[Solved....I believe] Squeeky sound in the cold temps!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 09:33:32 AM »
I got to checking things again, and found that it was the brakes dragging after all.
I've never had them off in the 4000 miles I've ridden. I've just used Stig's trick of using my small digital camera to see in and check the pad thickness.  I believe they built up a little glazing on the pads over the year and the rotor MAY have a very slight warp. Not 100% sure on the warp, but I'm going to go ahead and order a new one, just in case. And, I'm going to pull the pads, and clean them with a scotchbrite pad and brake cleaner to de-glaze the surface.
If it still acts up afterward, I'll let everyone know as I go through the other suspects.

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 12:58:08 PM »
1 other possibility is the seating of the bearings on the front axle. I've never had a scooter wheel off so am not sure if they're seated by the axle nut or some type of inside nut on the axle. Too tight on the nut however they're seated can lead to premature wear and a wear spot in the bearings. Just a 1/4 or half turn too much can create lateral wear spot that the bearings weren't designed for..........maybe.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:39:39 PM by 2wheelfun »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()