Author Topic: no ignition  (Read 4469 times)

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
no ignition
« on: January 20, 2015, 06:57:11 PM »
no reponse when pressing the ignite button.
what are the typical things to check?
scooter runs fine when using kickstart in all ranges.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: no ignition
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 07:33:21 PM »
Battery? Do you get any horn blinkers etc when you turn the ignition switch on? Are you depressing both brake levers to try and start it? Battery is the most obvious thing that could be wrong. Could be starter relay, could be the actual starter button.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 08:07:59 PM »
battery is brand-new, i think i will check starter button first, seems pretty nasty to take this thing off

Battery? Do you get any horn blinkers etc when you turn the ignition switch on? Are you depressing both brake levers to try and start it? Battery is the most obvious thing that could be wrong. Could be starter relay, could be the actual starter button.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 08:17:19 PM »
Do you get lights etc when the key is on? Turn the key on and honk the horn, good test if the battery is hooked up right. The bike WILL run with no battery at all so there is a chance you got the battery installed backwards or something like that.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 10:51:44 PM »
yeah, everything works with ignition key on, horn, blinkers
since I refuse to bring this thing to a mechanic, I won't give up and fix myself:)
ordered a voltage meter, will see if I am smart enough to understand the service manual lol

Do you get lights etc when the key is on? Turn the key on and honk the horn, good test if the battery is hooked up right. The bike WILL run with no battery at all so there is a chance you got the battery installed backwards or something like that.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 03:04:31 AM »
You can do almost anything on your scooter with help from online especially. I fix ALL of my own stuff no matter what it is, just one of those things LOL... One thing you can check, take out your seat bucket to expose the engine area. On the right side of the scooter you'll see this the starter relay, looks like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31az6WVH0FL._SY300_.jpg
With the scooter turned off, use pliers to just tap the two 10mm bolts to complete the circuit. Bolt to bolt, it won't shock you with only 12v but it will spark. This should crank the starter over when jumperd. If it cranks that means the battery, starter motor, and wiring to and from are all good. If it doesn't, your have a bad starter or wiring problem. Start there. The next most likely thing is the actual starter relay, try taping it with a screwdriver or whatever (hammer is to hard) and try using the push button start. Just to make sure, has the starter worked since you bought it? J/w

tjupille

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 11:32:43 PM »
Might be as simple as the starter switch. I had the horn switch (opposite side, but looks like the same kind of switch) fail. A couple of shots of contact cleaner and it now works fine. The catch is that you do have to remove quite a bit of the tupperware to get at the switch.

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 12:48:05 AM »
I took off the seat, and did shortcut the relay like you recommended, it cranked and the engine started instantly.
Also when the engine cut-off switch is on, it only cranks which is an indication that the cut off switch works.
I took off the switch (pain in the ass), cleaned the contacts, with no luck. I also tried to shortcut various connections on the switch, with no effect.
ANy idea how the switch works? it seems like there is a round piece of metal which touches against another piece of metal when pressed, but I got no idea how to see what is suppose to happen, or what to measure on the electrical level.
WHat would be the next step? is the relay in this case working, as it started? Maybe cabling beetween switch <> relay? will try to figure out how to measure this as well

thanks a lot for the help

You can do almost anything on your scooter with help from online especially. I fix ALL of my own stuff no matter what it is, just one of those things LOL... One thing you can check, take out your seat bucket to expose the engine area. On the right side of the scooter you'll see this the starter relay, looks like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31az6WVH0FL._SY300_.jpg
With the scooter turned off, use pliers to just tap the two 10mm bolts to complete the circuit. Bolt to bolt, it won't shock you with only 12v but it will spark. This should crank the starter over when jumperd. If it cranks that means the battery, starter motor, and wiring to and from are all good. If it doesn't, your have a bad starter or wiring problem. Start there. The next most likely thing is the actual starter relay, try taping it with a screwdriver or whatever (hammer is to hard) and try using the push button start. Just to make sure, has the starter worked since you bought it? J/w

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 06:46:18 PM »
Jumping the starter relay only tests the battery, starter, and wiring. I suspect your starter relay is bad. Did you try tapping it? They are cheap online anyway. Did you try cleaning your starter button? Idk exactly how it works, i think it's just a simple contact type switch. Either way, i normally just spray the switch with pb blaster, don't even take them apart.

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 04:28:14 PM »
yeah i tapped it. engine starts. ordered a new relay for 10 bucks. thanks for all the tips

Jumping the starter relay only tests the battery, starter, and wiring. I suspect your starter relay is bad. Did you try tapping it? They are cheap online anyway. Did you try cleaning your starter button? Idk exactly how it works, i think it's just a simple contact type switch. Either way, i normally just spray the switch with pb blaster, don't even take them apart.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 04:32:00 PM »
yeah i tapped it. engine starts. ordered a new relay for 10 bucks. thanks for all the tips

Score man glad I could help!

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 06:58:59 PM »
BnL strikes again! A real asset to the community. People don't get told enough so . . . . Thanks for doing what you do here.
Wayne

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 07:17:59 PM »
BnL strikes again! A real asset to the community. People don't get told enough so . . . . Thanks for doing what you do here.

Thanks Wayne! Hearing people get their own scooters fixed is what keeps me coming back for sure!

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 02:50:24 AM »
btw, here is how this ended. put new cheap ebay relay in, ignition works!, but only if i simultaneous press either of the brakes.  no idea if this is how this thing is suppose to work, but as long as it runs i dont care. ty again
Thanks Wayne! Hearing people get their own scooters fixed is what keeps me coming back for sure!

tjupille

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 04:28:43 AM »
ignition works!, but only if i simultaneous press either of the brakes.
  That's the way it's supposed to work. Remember, it's an automatic transmission; the idea behind requiring the brake is to keep it from taking off on its own.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()