Author Topic: 500-Oil pump & consequences  (Read 4455 times)

xsel777

• View Profile
500-Oil pump & consequences
« on: January 24, 2015, 04:56:54 AM »
Hi all. Boy, my story is sad. I have had this scoot for over a year now(previously loved model, but it should be unloved I think) , and it has been in the shop 4 times. 1st time clutch disintegrated, and other times 3 for the same thing,being cam replacement.

1st time cams replaced, I was told, kymco hardening process faulty. Next time, they see this issue a lot on the 500,no reason given as to why.
I researched, and oil pump came up. I mentioned this but that did not get replaced.
Two months later, back with same issue, worn cams.
I had noticed that the oil sensor cable was off, and refitted it, and saw that the oil light flickered when idling. The shop was notified of this development, and the result was the old pump is being replaced this time around.

The above is  a buildup to my question which is :
with the oil pump being suspect, what is the worst case scenario? Catastrophic failure, like crank sieving, worn rings, or is it just the top end of the engine that was taking  a beating, because oil pressure was still good at the bottom. I can also mention,  that recently, I have had to top up with oil twice. That can't be good.

Please keep your comments limited to the question. Berating the workshop is not going to help me make  a decision to keep the scoot, which is why this post is here now.
BTW, the shop is at least giving a discount...

2nd question: Is it worth keeping.?

I only have an automatic license, so got the big(not Chinese) for reliability and freeway (highway) speeds. 
Every time I get it back from the shop,  I remember why  I got it,  and the enjoyment of the freedom from traffic jams.

This thing is costing me an arm and  a leg, and is really beginning to hurt now.

Selling I will make  a big loss.

I have been trying with the idea  of a Honda vtr 250 twin. The add says top speed 175km, which is plenty fast enough.
But, then there is that storage negative...
And no protection from the elements.
At least it will be lighter on fuel, hey!

I don't really want to go this route, as I really like great scoot, the looks, the size, and the performance, but must try and face reality, and not delude myself about this decision I have to make.

I know I will get a lot of feedback here, so standing back, and ducking....
2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

xsel777

• View Profile
Re: 500-Oil pump & consequences
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 05:14:49 AM »
If only  I could afford  a tmax ☺

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 02:08:54 PM »
Well it's too bad you are going through this. I have over 60000 miles on min and haven't had your issues yet. Worst was stator/regulator. I probably need a clutch plate but it still runs.

Sorry bout your issues. Btw I gotta tmax and it's great too

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 12:23:30 PM »
Update: I have the scoot back with new exhaust camshaft and oil pump. It has that wow factor again. So totally enjoying it. I am now driving slower than I used to,in order to keep the revs down,in the hope that the cams won't wear down again. File consumption remains at 18km/l . I have decided to keep the scoot,because I like the ride,the look,basically everything about it except taking the plastic off. Exhaust is a BMW 800gs or fx and gives a nice throaghty roar,only had to adjust the slip-on diameter down-size with adaptor welded on.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 04:31:13 PM »
Update: I have the scoot back with new exhaust camshaft and oil pump. It has that wow factor again. So totally enjoying it. I am now driving slower than I used to,in order to keep the revs down,in the hope that the cams won't wear down again. File consumption remains at 18km/l . I have decided to keep the scoot,because I like the ride,the look,basically everything about it except taking the plastic off. Exhaust is a BMW 800gs or fx and gives a nice throaghty roar,only had to adjust the slip-on diameter down-size with adaptor welded on.

The question i would be asking is who the hell unplugged your oil pressure sensor? Did you grey it used from a dealer or private party? Those things don't just come unplugged by themselves. Anyway, if the pressure is low, it can cause damage to a ton on the x500. Unlike smaller scooters that have roller bearings on the crank, the 500 is like a car and uses oil pressure bearings on the crank. VERY susceptible to damage from low pressure. The clutch, I've seen these melted on x500 before, one had molten aluminum chunks everywhere, it was crazy. Just don't accelerate with full throttle, or spend the $$$ on a Dr. Pulley clutch. Oil consumption is normal, just as long as you're not topping it off by the litter.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 06:10:53 PM »
This 500 was a trade in,for a kymco grand vista/dink 250 which had high oil consumption.the oil sensor cable fitting was loose from the get go.the rubber cover perished,so I finally decided to replace the original fitting with a replacement fitting from midas, but it turned out to be cr@p, so I was always squeezing it to get it to stay on.it was getting quite out of shape.it always seemed to me to be too easy to dislodge.the above history is why I did make a direct accusation against the workshop, but it does leave something to consider re their quality checking.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 04:12:07 AM »
I meant to say,did NOT make a direct accusation against the shop

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 06:12:40 PM »
Almost 60,000 on my 2007 also. Only real issues was the stator died at around 54,000 miles. Still running stock clutch also. :-*

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 10:01:26 AM »
I recently got my XC500EFI back from the shop, after another camshaft wore the cam down. Exhaust. This time most parts were free. A second hand head fitted too. It goes well once again. This time around it should be permanently sorted, as I am sure that after 4 times for the same fault, the shop does not want to see me again.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 03:23:26 PM »
I spoke too soon. The oil lamp is still flashing at idle, after a highway jaunt. I spoke to another kymco dealer, and he nearly had  a fit listening to what has happened to this scoot.,and now on it's 4th exhaust cam, and used head. He said together with the cam wearing so often, and the oil light, it is most likely now that  the crank bearings are exceeding their limits, hence oil pressure drop. He recommended a new engine. That is over 25000 Zar (about 2200 usd). I can't sell it to anyone in this condition, as Flashing oil lamps are seriously frowned upon when selling vehicles..... 😂
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 03:25:12 PM by xsel777 »

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 04:29:35 PM »
I spoke too soon. The oil lamp is still flashing at idle, after a highway jaunt. I spoke to another kymco dealer, and he nearly had  a fit listening to what has happened to this scoot.,and now on it's 4th exhaust cam, and used head. He said together with the cam wearing so often, and the oil light, it is most likely now that  the crank bearings are exceeding their limits, hence oil pressure drop. He recommended a new engine. That is over 25000 Zar (about 2200 usd). I can't sell it to anyone in this condition, as Flashing oil lamps are seriously frowned upon when selling vehicles..... 😂

Does your country have a lemon law? Sounds like the other dealer WANTS to help you. Maybe they will take it back in trade or full credit?
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 05:05:02 AM »
Lemon law. Yep, there is something like that, but not 2 years after the sale. The flashing oil lamp only started about 4 months back, althoughI did have to replace the oil sender unit within the first year of the sale. The cams wearing down started roughly the same time. Yep, it does definitely fit the lemon category. Everyone keeps telling me to sell, but I can only sell as spares(can't sell with a flashing oil lamp) , and no space for that.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 03:50:13 PM »
Lemon law. Yep, there is something like that, but not 2 years after the sale. The flashing oil lamp only started about 4 months back, althoughI did have to replace the oil sender unit within the first year of the sale. The cams wearing down started roughly the same time. Yep, it does definitely fit the lemon category. Everyone keeps telling me to sell, but I can only sell as spares(can't sell with a flashing oil lamp) , and no space for that.
Have they replaced the actual oil pump?

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 05:12:26 AM »
Yep, last time it went in for a cam job, Jan 2015.this time I have demanded an oil pressure test. They don't even have a tester in their workshop!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()