Author Topic: followed your instructions, scoot now fooked up :-(  (Read 4315 times)

Ian7

• View Profile
followed your instructions, scoot now fooked up :-(
« on: January 27, 2015, 07:08:46 PM »
2013 Super8 2T
--- 8g Dr.Pulley sliders
--- exhaust "derestricted" by cutting off and plugging the extraneous tubing (yes I did the plug-the-end test and it stalls out and 'pops' showing no leaks)
--- 82 jet installed
--- opened up the inlet box opening from small round hole to about 1" square

now it idles so fast it will accelerate away unless brakes are held,
and when moving, just cracking the throttle a little causes it to bog and slow down,
and cracking the throttle a lot just kills the motor entirely....

great; now what ? I've gone from a usable but disappointing scoot, to a can't ride it at all.....

Chris0381

• View Profile
Re: followed your instructions, scoot now fooked up :-(
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 12:10:20 AM »
Re-engineer the inlet opening. That opening is very sensitive to dimension change. I have diff size pieces of plastic I use to resize that opening once I opened it up.

Cant rule out a sticking auto choke or whatever that thingy is that can controls RPM's on cold start. Mine revs up fast too on cold start,but mainly when the weather is on the cool side.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 12:16:14 AM by Chris0381 »
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

Ian7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 12:20:19 AM »
Re-engineer the inlet opening. That opening is very sensitive to dimension change....

Interesting, thanks, I'll try that.
If you search my earlier posts you'll see an "expert" advised ripping the inlet restriction out, even after I asked if the carb needed the pressure drop upstream of it. That's the joy of online forums, all you need to do is sound authoritative  LOL

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 01:31:22 AM »
Hmmm from the sounds of it you are blaming me for this mishap? Sorry buddy, I've been working on scooters for 6+ years professionally and more than that on my spare time. You only have yourself to blame when things go wrong, no offense. First off if you opened your airbox you will need to go higher than a 82 main, the 82 main is the "stock" de-restricted jet size. Also did you adjust your mixture or idle at all? All of these things will play into how high the idle is. I've derestricted 2t scooters in the manner I suggest on here HUNDREDS of times, if you don't do something correctly that is not my problem exactly. I can understand the frustration, I've been there, but your biting the hand that feeds you by flaming me for "bad advice".
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 02:18:32 AM »
I'd beat his ass Ian. He lives in Portland!

Seriously now... Easy brother. You were given good advice on what to do, I won't defend anyone but I will point a finger. YOU sir did the work.
There is either an air leak at or near the carb or the idle mix, and / or the idle speed screws are set wrong. The jet you have installed is also wrong. It was suggested to you to install at LEAST an 85.

We don't get hurt feelings around here so please step back, take a breath, and we will help you sort it out if you like.
If you're that convinced it is someone else's fault... sorry to hear this, and I'll see If Kymco will send you a "T" shirt.
What size do you wear?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Ian7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 02:40:42 AM »
yeah, I fully expected the "you did it yourself" replies from the "advisors"........ blameless in their anonymity

long before I posted I tried 85 and 88 jets, they were worse;
and just because I dont know 2 stroke scoots intimately, dont assume I know nothing;
there are no vacuum leaks, the float hasnt sunk, its been apart several times looking for things loose or come adrift....

dont reply, I'm not coming back to this forum, will figure it out logically myself

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 02:45:02 AM »
Everyone here knows who, and where I am. Sorry you feel that way.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 02:48:46 AM »
So sad, instead of raging and blaming others, you could have posted up: "hey this is what's going on" and gotten great help. I don't give a rats ass if you think my advice was wrong, it wasn't and you messed your scooter up. f***ing entitlement generation no damn accountability. How about others that followed my exact same advice CORRECTLY? Oh yeah they are doing JUST FINE!!!!! Like i said before, i have done exactly what I told you to do on HUNDREDS of Kymcos, with perfect results. If you haven't played with your mixture, that's your problem not that I really care at all anymore.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 02:50:39 AM by BettinANDlosing »
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 03:12:19 AM »
I'm off to on line classes. I'll make a pill to fix all this. (No not the morning after one)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 03:24:59 AM by zombie »

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 03:14:00 AM »
I already got something to forget about it, just have to go pick it up at my friends house ;)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 10:08:29 PM »
I have read all of Ian7 posts, all 26 of 'em. And all of your replies. I have concluded that all who responded were convincingly concerned with passing valid information to get him going. JUST LIKE ALWAYS ON THIS FORUM. Not that the Zomb nor B&L are gonna lose a lot of sleep over this guy but they gave it their best shot and Ian din't quite "get it" enough to finish the project. We probably won't hear from him again ever but at least he did not start out with, "URGENT!! Help needed! Real fast!"

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 10:11:29 PM »
We love ya Karl.

I did sob for an hour or so but that was for humanity in general. Ian was just the trigger.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 10:44:19 PM »
Good evening.
I'm going to pass around a plate of warm donuts.
Zoomy please pour the Seattle's Best.
Now that we're all comfy, I'd like to quietly suggest that folks stop buying anything with a 50cc engine ('cept maybe weedeaters) b e c a u s e  (calm down, now) b e c a u s e  they get tired of going thru life at 28 MPH and start messing with it.

Remember what the great Navajo, Two Sox Standing In River, said before the tribal meeting in February, 1851 : "DON'T Mess-whid-it"!
Would that people buy at least a 125 in N. America.
There'd be a lot less strife on 2 wheels, and elsewhere.
There are very, very few folks in N. America that do "slow" as well as the Stig does.
(I still wish I coulda got that Vino or Metro 2 yrs ago!)
Just sayin'
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 11:52:59 PM »
But Stiggy... Both of my 50's are, less expensive to purchase, operate, maintain, and faster than either of your bikes.
Plus there is something in the "just too cool" factor.

I'm sorry man. I do love ya but your overpriced, slower than a paid by the hour labor hall worker bikes suck!

HOWARD STERN RULES!

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 02:14:33 AM »
Stig you nailed it. I ALWAYS try and talk with customers thinking about buying a 50cc and go through everything, make sure they don't want to take the motorcycle class and get their endorsement and have WAY more usability on their scoot. This kid wanted his scooter faster, I gave solid advice, and he did something wrong. I don't know why he couldn't just ask for more help rather than instantly blaming others for "bad advice". Like you said no sleep lost, i deal with this almost every day at the shop, enough that I think it would make a decent reality show lol.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()