Author Topic: ..poppin' wheelies!..  (Read 6431 times)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
..poppin' wheelies!..
« on: October 31, 2009, 12:35:12 PM »
..no, not really... ;D..

..But I did install the fly clutch sproings and the 6.2 gram rollers...

..They turned out to be Leo Vince, instead of Malossi..

..installed the red ones, that are supposed to be at +50%..

..much quicker take-off than before,  :D especially on an upgrade..

..i'm not sure if my 4-stroke turns up quick enough for the yellow, +100% sproings, but imma try'm out just to see..

..the diameter of the 2000 main sproing they sent me was too small,  :( but the correct one is on the way...

..I was kinda wanting that at the same time, but now I will have a better idea of how it alone, will affect performance..

..all in all, a safisfying upgrade!!

peace

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: ..poppin' wheelies!..
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 07:07:59 PM »
That's great to hear Bro!. Getting the mian spring may be a blessing in disguise. What rollers did you have before, and what kind of difference is there in overall ride-ability?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 07:40:18 PM »
That's great to hear Bro!. Getting the mian spring may be a blessing in disguise. What rollers did you have before, and what kind of difference is there in overall ride-ability?

..yeah, that's what I'm hoping...I had 5.5 originally, but theyre probably down to around 5-5.25 by now..lol..

..really, i'm wondering about putting them back in..because I think I had higher initial rpms then..hhmm..

..however, the +50% springs gave me a much more torquey feel overall..

..getting up out of a curve is tighter and quicker, and acceleration off the line is much improved...

..the throttle lag is a bit different...before, I would start to move at @ 1/4 throttle..

..now I must rev it higher before she takes off..

..I'm pleased with the difference in performance, knowing that I'm already kinda pushing the limits of what the little 50 4t can do..

:D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 07:42:26 PM by wordslinger »

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 09:51:16 PM »
Glad to hear everything is working out!  I don't know if you can get a 4 stroke 50cc to do a wheelie, at least not without a lot of effort!  Check out youtube, search for scooter wheelie.  There are some great vids on there! :D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 11:53:38 PM »
Yeah, The whole deal is finding the "combo" that works for YOU! Its AMAZING how little things affect these small scoots. Iv'e seen some of those u tube vids. I think it is more skill, and time w/ your scoot than any secret tuning. Can't say I'm not envious though... Back to the post , 4t's ALWAYS need heavier rollers to close the variator. If you go heavier in the front, and light in the rear you will have a slower take off w/ a good criuse. If you go lite in the front and heavy in the rear you will get the "hole shot", and have to STAY on the throttle to cruise. It all depends on your riding style. those WHEELIE set ups are most likely, Heavy on the clutch, and light on the rollers. I'm at about 1/3 throttle throw to get going, And have a good cruise. (about 6'500-7'000 @45 mph). It all depends on what you like...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 07:29:44 PM »
..I just put the lighter rollers back in..

..getting ready to try it out...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 07:56:35 PM »
Good luck!  I'm about to re-assemble my motor!  Yay, for scooter work!  ;D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 08:21:46 PM »
Wha-chu workin' on now shaka?

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 08:42:37 PM »
Trying to figure out where my lack of power, or rather top speed is!  I'll post results under my thread.

flextrainer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 12:05:51 AM »
Just reading ur thread, always like to read what you three have to say. You'll get your wheelie in no time! I was just wondering how hard the clutch springs are to change out. Do I need any special tools or are they pretty easy? I have a drum brake tool. The springs look like a brake shoe spring. I would like to start messing around with the clutch and variator now that I have all of the bugs worked out of my new ( used ) scoot. It is broken in and derestricted. I have a 72cc kit on the way. What do you guys reccomend for a daily driver that sees a few hills? Also are all of the springs rated by color or do they have a tension/RPM rating? Do the slider weights make a big difference? I have a Naraku high speed variator that worked really well on my last scoot, but doesn't seem to make that big of a difference on this one. Any reccomendations there would be appreciated too.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 01:03:41 AM »
The clutch springs are pretty easy to change.  On mine the only tools needed where, and impact gun to get the clutch off, a bench vise to clamp it in, a 40mm flat wrench (a large adjustable will work) to get the clutch apart, and needle nose vise-grips to install the springs.  The spring ratings seem to vary between manufactures, I've seen them done by color and some by rpm's.  As for the variator, the roller weight is going to be the main difference.  The weights in your Naraku may have been correct for your last scoot, but will need to be different for the agility.  I would wait to install all of the transmission stuff till you get the big bore installed, otherwise you will have to change the setup again for the larger displacement.  Make sure you re-tune your carb and exhaust for the 72cc as well. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 03:21:53 AM »
Right on the head shaka! For the clutch springs they are sold in sets w/ three different ratings. A general rule is the LIGHTEST aftermarket is twice as strong as the stock spring, so an immediate improvement is gained. Wordslinger has had many different roller setups in his scoot, so his advice on rollers may help quite abit. Generally in a four stroke you will go heavier 6-8gr ballpark. There are COMBO kits that have 2 of each different weights to get the idea of the TOTAL weight you need down to a 1/2 gr. These kits will save you money because you don't need to buy several different sets of rollers, or just settle for what you bought. I would also consider a Naraku clutch, and the belt. This will prevent any miss match in the cvt, ie belt too long or short. Balance is the KEY to a reliable scoot. One more thing ask the MANUF. of your cylinder kit which muffler they recommend. You will at least have a base line of what you need. When the parts ALL work together you will have a MUCH better scoot than one that is piece mealed together

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
..wow...my fwends beat me to the punch, flex..lol..

..here's what is working well for me right now...

..malossi variator with the 5.5 gram rollers.. (way better than the 6.2 that I just bought)

..new "stock" drive belt..(want me a Kevlar)

..K&N high-flow air filter..

..110 jet now installed which gives me a good balance in fuel/air mixture for cold mornings, and warm afternoons..

..red Leo Vince fly clutch springs, that are said to be +50%...(way quick on take-off now)

..I keep my oil changed often..some say too often, but it works for me..lol..

..I keep my valves adjusted to .04mm...

..awaiting a 2000 main clutch spring to replace my Malossi "white" spring that came with the variator..

..I've not really gained any more top end since I first installed the Malossi variator, however the combination of springs, air filter and jet size increase, made my scoot quicker, more torquey and all in all a more enjoyable ride..

good luck with your tuning, and like Shaka said, once you install the bb kit, you're gonna have to "start all over"

peace

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 08:42:22 PM »
..just found out that the "White" malossi main clutch/ torque drive spring is rated at 1000..

..Best I can get for my A50 is a 1500, which is on the way...

..I think that's all I will need anyway...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 12:34:29 AM »
How are those springs rated?  Is that 1500 rpm, or is that a force rating?  ???

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()