Author Topic: Scooter Derestrictions  (Read 2100 times)

Calothrix

• View Profile
Scooter Derestrictions
« on: November 04, 2009, 02:46:16 AM »
Reading about all of these scooter derestrictions got me thinking about my P150.  Are the larger scoots like my P150 restricted in any way (e.g. CDI, drive boss, etc.) or is it just the smaller 50 cc scoots that are restricted?  I'm pretty happy with the performance of my stock P150.......but it's nice to think about the possibilities!  Thanks!! 

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: Scooter Derestrictions
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 03:12:18 AM »
I believe only the 50cc scoots are restricted to meet US specifications.  Anything bigger falls under the motorcycle category and all the goes along with that, motorcycle endorsement, insurance, etc.  Yours should not be restricted in any way, but it's always fun to tune!  You can still get into improving acceleration and overall power, by tuning the intake and exhaust as well as the transmission (variator, rollers, clutch springs). :)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 03:53:33 AM »
All of the tunning mods. do carry over to your scooter as well. There are many quality aftermarket parts available for the p150. The cvt mods will give the most bang for the buck. The top end performance on the 150 is pretty good as it is , and w/ approx. $250.00 in variator/ clutch work, you can get a real thrill off the line. It's always nice to have a little more pep! Take a look at the Malossi USA web site to get a better idea. There are a few other good manuf.. I prefer Malossi.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 04:31:47 AM »
All of the tunning mods. do carry over to your scooter as well. There are many quality aftermarket parts available for the p150. The cvt mods will give the most bang for the buck. The top end performance on the 150 is pretty good as it is , and w/ approx. $250.00 in variator/ clutch work, you can get a real thrill off the line. It's always nice to have a little more pep! Take a look at the Malossi USA web site to get a better idea. There are a few other good manuf.. I prefer Malossi.

Thanks Zombie and Shaka!  With the CVT mods, do you take a big hit in fuel efficiency?  Also, will the gain off the line come at the expense of the top end?  Thanks again!

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 04:43:00 AM »
I never really noticed a big hit in fuel efficiency with just cvt mods.  I don't really pay much attention though!  I would think you might sacrifice a little fuel efficiency for quicker acceleration, but that's the nature of the beast!  With proper tuning you should be able to get better acceleration without sacrificing top end speed.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 03:35:38 PM »
The way the scoot is set up at the factory is for the best "overall" performance. There is a lot of room for improvement. The better aftermarket parts suppliers research, and develop their parts to optimize the performance of the scoot. The "knock off" brands don't do anything more than re-produce other products using lesser grade materials so they can sell for a lower price. The improvement in performance from Malossi, Polini, Dr.Pulley, ect, is well worth the investment. These products will do what they say they will. The trouble MOST people have is getting the wrong part, or combo of parts. The simplest approach would be to replace your current variator rollers w/ a lighter set (perhaps 2grams lighter)a and a stiffer set of clutch springs. This will allow the engine to turn a few hundred rpm's higher at takeoff, giving you more available toque at the wheel. your top end will not be affected, and the TINY bit of fuel used should not amount to 2-3 miles per gallon. If you had your dealer do the install for you I don't see more than 1 hour labor, including a brief road test.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 09:03:04 PM »
I never really noticed a big hit in fuel efficiency with just cvt mods.  I don't really pay much attention though!  I would think you might sacrifice a little fuel efficiency for quicker acceleration, but that's the nature of the beast!  With proper tuning you should be able to get better acceleration without sacrificing top end speed.

..I never realy check my fuel mileage..I DO now that since I re-jetted, I'm stoping way more frequently to fill-r-up...

..I guess I got over 90 miles off my first tank...not getting that now!!!!

:o
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 10:54:21 PM »
I am in the 30-35 mpg range.  Most of that is in the lower rpm range I darn near stall when de-accelerating, and 4 stroke through to lower mid range. No signs of melting another piston though. In fact I have around 625km since the new pist/rings, and can still see the HONE on the cylinder. I used 600 grit wet sadn paper, and PB Blaster to deglaze the clyinder.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 10:57:16 PM »
...i'm guessing that I need to open my slow jet some...I've not touched it at all...since the K&N thing..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 11:33:17 PM »
It's NOT as critical on a 4t because of the valves. For the piston anyway. On a 2t the sharp edge of the piston is spending 1/2 its time passing the port running hot exhaust gas over it. A sharp or squared edge will heat up quicker than a dull or round edge. The weak point in a 4t is the valve itself. Too lean and you will burn the radius or seat on the valve. This will only happen to the exhaust valve, because it is open to the hot gases. Back to the subject Since you opened the amount of air being drawn in the amount of fuel must be increased to keep things cool. Your idle mix screw should be able to compensate for this. If you find the screw has little to no effect on the idle then you should open the idle jet. Have you looked at the delorto tuning site? It explains the different idle circuts so you can adapt to your set up from there. here's the link          http://www.flydiver.com/HTML/Delorto%20Carburetor%20Tuning%20Guide.html

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 11:32:40 AM »
..thanx man...i'll check it out!!!

..still learning...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()