Author Topic: I just traded 3 motorcycles for a 2013 white Downtown 300i,,,  (Read 1731 times)

bountybuddy

• View Profile
I just traded 3 motorcycles for a 2013 white Downtown 300i,,,
« on: February 12, 2015, 11:29:24 PM »
I started calling the dealers in Michigan trying to find a new white DT300i and I found one.  They will hold it for me until all the snow is gone, then I pick it up or I will have them deliver it to me in North Branch.  I'm so excited.  My wife is also very happy and excited for me to.  How lucky is that!

Please answer some questions for me if you can;
--Can you tell me where I can get a matching white large hard box for the back.  It must have brake lights that go on when I pull the back brake lever.  I also need a mounting plate for the hard box.  At least 50L.
--At least 26L soft saddle bags, black.
--A bar that attaches between the saddle bags and the scooter to protect the finish on the scooter from the saddle bags and to tie the saddle bags to.
--Hand guards, white or black, flexible.

Please tell me if I am forgetting anything that would be good to have for safety or comfort on long day trips, solo or two up or even a week road trip.

I'm thinking of a road trip to South Dakota to visit a couple that are some of our best friends.  They will come this way to visit us to.

If any of you would like me to come your way from Michigan after the winter has passed I'm open to going anywhere if I've got the money for a room and food on the way.  Let me know if it sounds good.

Will someone please tell me the best way to put the first 600 miles on her for the break in period.  Thank you.

Thank you so much for your help.  I hope I will be able to go to sleep tonight.  If you are able to ride ride safe my friends.  I sure got lucky. 

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 11:33:40 PM by bountybuddy »

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
Re: I just traded 3 motorcycles for a 2013 white Downtown 300i,,,
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 12:39:08 AM »
Finding a bar for the saddlebags will be difficult. Probably need to make it yourself or find someone who can. I just put heavy duty velcro on the back of the Leather ones I bought and hooked over passenger handrail. There is a reflector that keeps them (somewhat) away from the finish, but-I want to add something more .
Google can be your best friend for getting ideas on colored top cases. You'd have to look at top case manufacturer to find mounting plate. I have a 45 liter Shad case (stuck with black, as it looks better on the burnt orange ) and I avoided the plate that requires bars into frame ( in the back) .

You can find various light products/ bars that will hook into electrical system and work with brakes.

I have more fun looking online for various things and find some that are pretty original/innovative .
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 02:49:12 AM »
I don't think you find "right out of the box" a white top box.  You probably need to buy a Down Town fitting SHAD or GIVI box and paint the top in the same color as your Down Town, that will look very good. An all white box would be too much of a visual "smack" IMO. And simply just the stock an all matte-black box is for sure OK too.  Regarding tail and break lights on the box usually GIVI offers that on its boxes, but you still need to wire them to your tail light or have a shop do it for you. Those boxes are not cheap... (about $400 with mounting plate, 48Liter for the SHAD)

What three motorcycles did you trade in for the D/T? A straight trade, or you still had to bring cash on top of it? Just curious. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 03:29:07 AM by windwheeler »

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 03:43:47 AM »
  by mr. stigg   the bestem top box is the best deal,. comes with all mounting hard ware and order it with lights ,  mine is a givi  and I had to make my own light kit ,  and it looks the same as stigs top box,.  from his pictures, 

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 08:47:02 PM »
Shad DOES make color plates to fit on the TOP of some of their top cases
  Not sure exactly which ones, though.
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 11:31:19 PM »
Love my Bestem topbox. using the Givi mounting bracket to mount it. And it wouldn't be hard to repaint either if you wanted to.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()