Author Topic: Service life of parts.  (Read 1132 times)

kneeslider

• View Profile
Service life of parts.
« on: March 12, 2015, 02:44:15 AM »
Hello,

This thread is as the subject describes.  Because only yesterday did the throttle cable on my 2013 14,000km DT200 failed.  This experience has led me to be more aware of preventive efforts for my daily ride to work.  I hope those in this forum will add their own experiences so it there will be a collective bank of info for all to refer to.

1.  Throttle cable snapped. 2013. 14000km.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Service life of parts.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 07:01:05 PM »
Knowledge base is a good idea.  As I mentioned in the other post I've never had a cable snap but It is important that cables are routed correctly and can move as the handle bars are turned left / right and should never be tied down with cable tires etc to the point where then no longer slide / move freely.

In your case I recommend trying to get to the route cause.  Where did your cable break?  At the ends? (could have been damaged)  Led solder connection?  Could be improper soldering at the factory (no likely) or more likely the lever is  bent or distorted and that damaged the cable.  In the middle?  Was there damage in that area on the outside of the jacket? 

To build a good KB - it helps to have make / model / miles / year / time of ownership and follow up.  What solved the problem - even if you gave up so that the thread is complete.
PaulC

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 02:52:04 AM »
1.  Throttle cable snapped. 2013. 14000km. The knob at the end of the cable that hooks on the throttle tube cam broke off. No idea why, but possibly a defect or excessive throttle opening.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 06:30:11 PM »
1.  The knob at the end of the cable that hooks on the throttle tube cam broke off. No idea why, but possibly a defect or excessive throttle opening.

Good information.  This is a vulnerable area and is much different than if the cable just snapped in the middle.  I don't think twisting too hard would cause this but it is possible.  Is the throttle assembly in the original factory position or has it been moved?  Same question for the handle bars.  Has this area received damage from falling over?  Sometimes people take apart the throttle / grip assembly to change the grips and this can result in damage to the place where the cables attach - typically the throttle assembly is plastic and the cable / cable ends are metal.  Friction - does the assembly show signs of excessive wear or plastic shavings indications that things are not moving smoothly?

Possible but unlikely that the end was not installed securely because these things are made by machines (except for custom cables like for Harley Davidson show bikes.

PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()