Author Topic: New Kymco Rider in Central Texas !  (Read 3109 times)

Rasta_scootah

• 2014 People GT300i 1,500 miles / past 2012 Like200
    • View Profile
New Kymco Rider in Central Texas !
« on: April 01, 2015, 05:37:54 PM »
Hi Guys ( & Girls ) , ...

I recently bought a 2012 Kymco Like 200i with 700 miles from older folks for $ 1700 ... I thought it was a good deal considering Kymco's reputation, even though it had the original oil in the engine and the warranty had expired ...   :-\

I have had a lot of riding experience on Taiwanese Scooters since I had owned and ridden a 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 , 32,000 miles ... At the same time I had & rode a 2006 Honda Reflex NS250 about 10,000 miles , ... Sadly, I sold these bikes off before we moved to Texas ...    :o

I had been doing my own maintenance & mods on those bikes & was a member of the Zumaforums website which was very helpful to me over the years for ideas, advice , used original parts and so on ... Guys who modified their scooters were a good source of gently used OEM parts ...

I live in Temple, Tx , ... the nearest Kymco Dealer is in Waco, 38 miles down the road ( many miles of which is 75 mph speed limit ) ( Welcome to Texas, Y'all !!! ) ...

The first service of my Like 200i was done near where I bought it in the Fort Worth Area @ 700 miles @ a Kymco Dealer in Burleson, Tx , ... They changed out the original oil & rear gear ( or final drive oil ) ... I have since changed the engine oil again @ 1,500 miles ...

I'd like some advice from you guys, ... ; How do I open up the headlight for bulb replacement or cleaning ? And , how to open up the front running lights as I want to change them out with brighter LEDs AND does anyone know which LEDs are best for  this application ? ( I saw a bike for sale in Florida on this forum that had the LEDs I want ...) ... And have tried to contact JuanJax about those LEDs ...

Also need to know OEM variator roller weight specs & recommended upgrade replacement clutch spring specs , ...

Well, that's probably enough for now , thanks & Bless Up !
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 05:55:14 PM by Rasta_scootah »

big blue

• View Profile
Re: New Kymco Rider in Central Texas !
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 02:23:31 PM »
Welcome to yah Rasta! I have a 2012 Like as well with about 6K miles on it. It has been a great scoot for me with no issues and easy to service. The info you need will be coming along as soon as Stig (our resident Like guru) checks in. There are also a few Kymco service guys here to help so enjoy the forum and you new ride.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 10:02:33 PM »
Welcome to yah Rasta! I have a 2012 Like as well with about 6K miles on it. It has been a great scoot for me with no issues and easy to service. The info you need will be coming along as soon as Stig (our resident Like guru) checks in. There are also a few Kymco service guys here to help so enjoy the forum and you new ride.
B-Blue, there's a box of Tim Bits headed your way..........
Good Lord, if you only knew how much I don't know about most anything. Ask my 15 yr old daughter, she'll tell you.
If I still had a VCR (she made me toss it) the clock would still be blinking "12:00"
Two days ago I found myself stranded on the road-side with a flat tire on my Forza. Now, I have a cell phone, with GPS... my daughter used its GPS to get me from the Dayton cemetery to the mall for her prom dress shopping last w/e....but I could not get the blasted thing to tell me where I was so I could tell the tow truck dispatcher. My daughter tried to explain it to me over the phone but I hadn't a pen and paper to write down the instructions. It's a long story how I finally got home 12 hrs later on the scooter with a new tire.
What was the question again?......
Stig.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 10:43:09 PM »
Rasta - hello, wellcome.
That's a nice price. Only a bit over the book mileage for the 1st oil change (real weirdos have changed it 2 or 3 times by then) :)

I have a new Forza - cousin to your Reflex. Hope mine turns out to be as good...(and a 2012 LIKE200iLX w/8 K on it)

After purchasing my LIKE I bought the cyclepedia.com on-line manual for the scoot. It has been most helpful.
Good pictures - generally good service info - though at times they have you take off too many panels to get at things.
The LIKE is very easy to service, I think. Only back to the dealer to get a new throttle body (warranty) and City Grips installed. With your scooter experience you'll not have any trouble. (I hadn't been on 2 wheels in 40+ yrs)

Getting to back of headlight...Once you're in there you'll see what needs doing....
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=9467.msg100404#msg100404

You can reach in above the front wheel to get at the running light bulbs. Go in through the glove boxe's black panels (one on ea. side in the glove box) to see down in there (I did a DIY in that area posted awhile ago) I tried some (too cheap?) LED running lights....they quit too soon so I went to nice 5W amber bulbs (I think the bulb base said 3W) They have worked well for me. I just commute to work in the dark - no pleasure riding after dark. The stock lighting works well enough for me. (35MPH city streets) I can be seen - but these lights do not help me see any better.

Roller weights...
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=11210.msg113164#msg113164

Also got some Dr Pulley sliders from these folks.....springs & stuff are beyond my pay grade to mess with.https://www.buggypartsnw.com/

OK, ride safe out there
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

atxscooterguy

• Two Wheels is Better than Four
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 02:42:25 PM »
Hi Rasta,

I'm just right down the road from you in Austin, TX. There's another Kymco dealer here as well, TJ's cycle sales and service, it's off Hwy 290 in east central Austin, not sure how far that would be for you. I have a Like 200i as well, glad to see another here in the area!

-atxscooterguy
'89 Honda CBR 600
'14 Kymco Like 200i

scooto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 07:48:33 AM »
How do I open up the headlight for bulb replacement or cleaning ?

Hi,
I guess you don't understand german, but I posted some pictures how to change the headlight bulb - maybe it helps.
Take a look here:
http://zzip.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8967&highlight=

Regards
scooto

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 05:24:35 AM »
Welcome to Texas, most people like our politics in this area unless you are not conservative, than I would encourage you to be away on election day! :)
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

Rasta_scootah

• 2014 People GT300i 1,500 miles / past 2012 Like200
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 09:24:51 AM »
Here's some video I made up north riding my 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 , ...  8)

Cold weather riding , in the name of beer !

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 03:32:11 AM »
Cold weather in Austin? What did you have to wear a sweat shirt it was so cool? Bwahahahaha

atxscooterguy

• Two Wheels is Better than Four
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 04:18:52 PM »
Hi Guys ( & Girls ) , ...

I recently bought a 2012 Kymco Like 200i with 700 miles from older folks for $ 1700 ... I thought it was a good deal considering Kymco's reputation, even though it had the original oil in the engine and the warranty had expired ...   :-\

I have had a lot of riding experience on Taiwanese Scooters since I had owned and ridden a 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 , 32,000 miles ... At the same time I had & rode a 2006 Honda Reflex NS250 about 10,000 miles , ... Sadly, I sold these bikes off before we moved to Texas ...    :o

I had been doing my own maintenance & mods on those bikes & was a member of the Zumaforums website which was very helpful to me over the years for ideas, advice , used original parts and so on ... Guys who modified their scooters were a good source of gently used OEM parts ...

I live in Temple, Tx , ... the nearest Kymco Dealer is in Waco, 38 miles down the road ( many miles of which is 75 mph speed limit ) ( Welcome to Texas, Y'all !!! ) ...

The first service of my Like 200i was done near where I bought it in the Fort Worth Area @ 700 miles @ a Kymco Dealer in Burleson, Tx , ... They changed out the original oil & rear gear ( or final drive oil ) ... I have since changed the engine oil again @ 1,500 miles ...

I'd like some advice from you guys, ... ; How do I open up the headlight for bulb replacement or cleaning ? And , how to open up the front running lights as I want to change them out with brighter LEDs AND does anyone know which LEDs are best for  this application ? ( I saw a bike for sale in Florida on this forum that had the LEDs I want ...) ... And have tried to contact JuanJax about those LEDs ...

Also need to know OEM variator roller weight specs & recommended upgrade replacement clutch spring specs , ...

Well, that's probably enough for now , thanks & Bless Up !

Rasta, were you able to find a replacement for the headlight in LED version? There are so many different bulbs out there, wasn't sure which one to get, I also want to get the led lights for the running lights, and the rear brake light/turn signals, i'm all about visibility and anything to increase my chances of being seen is a plus. I'm a big supporter of LED lights, even in my home! Would be awesome if they had 5W CREE leds on a bulb, now that would be bright! The ones I found on ebay are: the 1156 5050 13SMD led light bulbs, (I would post a link, but can't access ebay from my work computer  >:( ).

Ride Safe!
'89 Honda CBR 600
'14 Kymco Like 200i

CrzRani

• Rani
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 07:46:50 PM »
Hi Rasta, I'm no good at answering any of your questions, but I'm definitely willing to say hi!  My scoot has now a whopping 656 miles, with 2 services under it's belt (all per the manual)  So far, so good.  Now I just need to wash it, cause the bugs are coming out and ruining my blue and white :)

;)
Why lose weight, buy more horsepower......

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()