Author Topic: First Moped, Need some insight and advice  (Read 4912 times)

andrey64

• View Profile
First Moped, Need some insight and advice
« on: April 10, 2015, 11:53:11 AM »
Hello everyone!

I am now a proud owner of a Kymco People 150. I love it! Does exactly what I need it to do, and is perfect for where I live and the distances I commute.

I want to ask you all for any suggestions for a first time moped owner.

The moped has 5k miles on it, so first thing I did was change Motor Oil, transmission oil, general cleaning, new fuel line hose(previous one was a little beat up), seafoam(inside the tank).

Anything else I can do to make sure this thing runs 100% ?

Also, any suggestions on improving safety and make sure I am seen on the road? Especially at night time, since the moped is entirely black with some chrome trim.

Thank you!
2002 Kymco People 150 - All stock
5,XXX miles!

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
Re: First Moped, Need some insight and advice
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 12:16:13 PM »
Welcome and congrats on your new scooter. My first scooter was a People 150 and it was a great bike. I sold it and got a GTI300 because my interstate commute required more speed. I did several things to my 150 to increase nighttime visibility. 1. I replaced the stock taillight bulb with a brighter LED bulb. 2. I bought some vinyl reflective tape and applied graphics to the scooter and my helmet. 3. I installed amber LED bulbs where the European turn signals would have been. 4. I always wore a lightweight reflective vest when riding. Another suggestion would be to change the variator rollers to lighter ones. It will give you a little better acceleration if you ever need it. I would also suggest using full synthetic lubricants in your motor and gear case and a iridium spark plug.  Good luck with your 150 and ride safe!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:19:16 PM by mrmike »
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 12:31:41 PM »
Sweet bike.

You can do some led mods.

Wear neon clothing jacket, bright fullface helmet.

Mechanically sounds like you've done well. You can remove CVT cover and take a peek inside and measure the belt width to see if it need replacing and to see if its real dusty and needs wiping out with a rag.

When were the sliders/rollers last replaced ?

Maybe an ounce of seafoam every 5-10 tanks of gas.

But try and locate the actual service manual online PDF file and see what needs doing periodically.

Good look with that scoot; it looks real nice.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

andrey64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 01:04:38 PM »
Another suggestion would be to change the variator rollers to lighter ones. It will give you a little better acceleration if you ever need it. I would also suggest using full synthetic lubricants in your motor and gear case and a iridium spark plug.

Thanks for the reply and good suggestions.

I replaced everything with full synthetic(10w40 Castrol Motor Oil and 75w90 Motul Gear Oil, both full synthetic). I checked the spark plug in it, and looks like it still has a bit of life left on it since it was fairly clean and good condition.

Would you please provide me with some more info(a link perhaps) about variator rollers so I can look into that. Would love to get a bit more acceleration if I can. I'm also going to purchase a new CVT belt as soon as I get a chance because I don't necessarily know the condition of the current, especially if it's just been sitting around and not being used.

Also, any suggestions on muggy throttle cables? Mine seems to be a little spotty at times and I don't know if I should look into just lubricating it or replacing it. I have already adjusted the idle to a good setting, and plan to play with the air/fuel when I have some time.

You can do some led mods.
Life replacing bulbs with LED's? Any suggestions?

Wear neon clothing jacket, bright fullface helmet.
I own a 3/4 helmet, and don't know if I should invest into a full face. I've heard some bad stories, so I am considering it, but I do only commute about 7-9miles to work at a maximum of 35-40mph.

Mechanically sounds like you've done well. You can remove CVT cover and take a peek inside and measure the belt width to see if it need replacing and to see if its real dusty and needs wiping out with a rag.
Thanks, I am the son of a long time mechanic, so I know my way around may things! I'll take a look at that belt!

When were the sliders/rollers last replaced ?
No idea..... doubt they were every touched. When I purchased the bike, it was clean on the exterior, but internally, you can tell it had accumulated a bit of garage dust.

Maybe an ounce of seafoam every 5-10 tanks of gas.
I've only pour a little bit into the past 4 tanks, since the bike had sat for a long time and I'm not sure on how much build up was in it.

Thanks again!
5,XXX miles!

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 01:19:30 PM »
You can pop out to walmart and look at the LEDs they have and see if there is any you would like to add. Walmart carries wedge 194 LEDs if you would like to replace some of the bulbs.

Be careful about overusing seafoam; one reason dealers dont push it is because people pour loads into there tanks thinking more is better and end up with problems. Some people actually poured lots into their tanks expecting the gas to still combust in which it didn't.

2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 02:15:18 PM »
Anything else I can do to make sure this thing runs 100% ?
Check valve clearance.

Potential synthetic oil downside . . Delo 400 is one option.

"But while synthetic oil won't create a leak, it will find one. Its streamlined molecular structure has no mercy for cracked or otherwise marginal seals. The oil and its additives may even clean deposits from the engine, which is good -- unless those deposits are acting like spackle on questionable seals." . . source.

Monitor battery cranking and charging volts.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 02:26:58 PM by tortoise »

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 02:50:29 PM »
Just scroll down this subject heading to "H I G H Visibility".  Dress high profile and you'll find more respect.

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 04:06:52 PM »

Would you please provide me with some more info(a link perhaps) about variator rollers so I can look into that. Would love to get a bit more acceleration if I can. I'm also going to purchase a new CVT belt as soon as I get a chance because I don't necessarily know the condition of the current, especially if it's just been sitting around and not being used.

andrey64

I'm 70 and my memory isn't what it used to be. I believe the stock rollers were 14g, and I replaced them with 13g. If you go to the People 150 & the technical sections of the forum and check back a couple of years, you will find many entries (including mine) on this subject. Let us know how you make out.
                                                                                   Mrmike
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 04:10:30 PM by mrmike »
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 04:13:08 PM »

andrey64

I'm 70 and my memory isn't what it used to be. I believe the stock rollers were 14g, and I replaced them with 13g. Lighter weight gives you better acceleration, but could impact your top end. For the investment and time involved it's a good investment IMHO. If you go to the People 150 & the technical sections of the forum and check back a couple of years, you will find many entries (including mine) on this subject. Let us know how you make out.
                                                                                   Mrmike

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 04:30:18 PM »

These are AWESOME. Last 2x as long as rollers, and "shift" the variator better. Stock is 14g on the people 150, and if you want slightly better acceleration get the 12g or 13g and you'll be set!! BTW, someone will eventually say it so I might as well: its not a MOPED, its a SCOOTER!!!! LOL just giving you a hard time. If you are interested in picking up a belt and sliders I work at a Kymco dealership here in Portland and can get you the belt and 13g sliders within a few business days, $95 shipped to your door.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 04:39:11 PM by BettinANDlosing »
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

andrey64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 06:58:45 PM »

These are AWESOME. Last 2x as long as rollers, and "shift" the variator better. Stock is 14g on the people 150, and if you want slightly better acceleration get the 12g or 13g and you'll be set!! BTW, someone will eventually say it so I might as well: its not a MOPED, its a SCOOTER!!!! LOL just giving you a hard time. If you are interested in picking up a belt and sliders I work at a Kymco dealership here in Portland and can get you the belt and 13g sliders within a few business days, $95 shipped to your door.

I was waiting for someone to correct my statement....btw, i was just in Portland a few days ago. Great city!

Going with a 12-13g will increase acceleration, but will my top speed decrease?
5,XXX miles!

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 07:10:31 PM »
I was waiting for someone to correct my statement....btw, i was just in Portland a few days ago. Great city!

Going with a 12-13g will increase acceleration, but will my top speed decrease?

Cool!!! Portland is great, but getting too busy for me. It's the next LA type city. Bad traffic and lots of transplants moving here. Will be a great scooter city in a few years, traffic is already so bad that I get home 2x as fast on my scooter than driving a car during rush hour. The 13g sliders will not decrease your accleration at all, they are designed to "open" the variator ever so slightly more, so even if you go to a lighter weight it will still be capable of opening the variator 100%. The largest increase in performance with sliders is the midrange, say cruising at 35 and you want to go fast, the RPMs pickup right away instead of slightly hesitating or bogging with the rollers. They also last a lot longer.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()