Author Topic: Tire side wall cracks...?!!?  (Read 5724 times)

Budz

• View Profile
Tire side wall cracks...?!!?
« on: April 12, 2015, 03:07:27 AM »
Washed my GT300i today and noticed cracks on the side wall (see attached photos). How do these happen and how soon do I need to replace them? It is a 2012 with 2,008 miles on it...

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: Tire side wall cracks...?!!?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 03:26:37 AM »
  how old is the tire ,  look for the DOT letters and the date of manufacture is after that,.   

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 05:46:32 AM »
I'm sure sombody will correct me if I'm wrong, but. It looks like dry rot. It is not abnormal but is a sure sign that you should replace them. Rubber ages and dries and sun and heat speed it up.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 07:32:29 AM »
Could the bike have been ridden with low tire pressure? That could crack the sidewall like that.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 01:47:52 PM »
Same thing happened with my Xciting...bought it new in 2012, but it had been sitting at the store for over a year.  After a 2 years of riding and 2 winters, I noticed the sidewalls were cracked.  This is only my opinion, but it affects the integrity of the tires and should be replaced.  It is a sign that the tire is not  100%.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

Budz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 01:54:00 PM »
Same thing happened with my Xciting...bought it new in 2012, but it had been sitting at the store for over a year.  After a 2 years of riding and 2 winters, I noticed the sidewalls were cracked.  This is only my opinion, but it affects the integrity of the tires and should be replaced.  It is a sign that the tire is not  100%.

I agree, I am not sure of why technically but I wonder what condition the inside of the tire is in! now the next question, which tire to buy? City Grips and Meltzer seem popular with the scooter crowd. I ride fastish (40 MPH - 70 MPH) living in the city with some country rides so I like quick take offs and leans in the turns.

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 05:01:09 PM »
As de dee wrote, look for the DOT Number on the tryres sidewall. Its a 4 digit code and it gives you exactely the productdate of the tyres.
For example DOT 4711 means: 47th week of the year 2011 or .... eau de cologne....  ;)  :)
Therefore it might well be that also your tyres are at least 3 years old or even older.

Which brand to replace with? Well, probably everything is better than these chinese/taiwanese Shing Zen or Kendas the scooter came with...

Michelin, or also Heidenau Tyres. Metzelers also good, but probably a bit soft with quick wear.
Heidenau is interesting because of the stiffer sidewalls and well balanced allround capabilities (wear/milage/wetriding/safety).
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Budz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 05:12:11 PM »
Sting had mention in an earlier post about Dunlop ScootSmart tire.
I am leaning towards the City Grips at the moment unless anyone has a better recommendation. I value safety over saving money so I am will to spend more given I ride fastish and lean on turns

Budz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 05:14:11 PM »
Also, tire balancing, I have heard it both ways (for and against) including "Kymco does not balance the tires when the bikes are shipped from the factory". Any thoughts on that topic?

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 05:19:56 PM »
Those tires look bald with no tread left, could be wrong the way the pics are. I don't see any wear bars at all. How many miles on them?

Budz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 05:34:12 PM »
Those tires look bald with no tread left, could be wrong the way the pics are. I don't see any wear bars at all. How many miles on them?

My bike is a 2012 model with 2,008 miles on the bike and tires. Lots of tread left on the tires. The photos are taken from the side of the wheel...

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
get
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 11:21:40 PM »
rid of those tires quick!.
Dangerous.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Budz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 02:06:59 AM »
okay, it will be Dunlop ScootSmart or Michelin City Grip.
I am leaning towards the Dunlop ScootSmart

0BARK4322

• View Profile
Re: get
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 08:53:03 AM »
rid of those tires quick!.
Dangerous.
plus
ALL STOCK

Budz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 12:25:09 PM »
I agree, tire need to go ASAP! The Dunlop ScootSmart are not available so I am between the City Grips and Metzler Feel Free...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()