Author Topic: Getting back on after a crash.  (Read 5499 times)

Mscmkr

• View Profile
Getting back on after a crash.
« on: April 12, 2015, 11:02:33 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone had any advice about how to get back to riding again after an accident? I only got the chance to ride my bike for a little over a year when I had my wreck. I miss it like crazy and have been thinking about riding a great deal lately. My problem is, i would really rather not go thigh that again if possible. And every time I think about riding I get flash backs of my wonderful road rash and smashed knees.
      Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks everybody and ride safe, mscmkr

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
Re: Getting back on after a crash.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 01:43:36 PM »
If you miss riding after a serious accident, then you definitely have the bug.  My suggestion, go slow.  Start somewhere where there is low traffic and give yourself a chance to see if you start to enjoy riding again.  Also make sure that you don't have more bike than you really want.  I've ridden large and small bikes, and the small ones can be just as enjoyable if not more so than the large ones.  Most important - gear up fully.  Knowing you are protected may help overcome the fear and let you relax.  Good luck!
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 05:16:07 PM »
Curious were you on a 50cc scoot in busy traffic when it happened? Crash can happen to anyone anytime, anywhere. We all take that chance, even in a car your at risk. Everyday here in a large metro area someone is dying in a car related crash, EVERYDAY! When on 2 wheels you just need to be careful as you can and assume folks don't see you. Never ride in a cars blind spot. Any vehicles coming out of a driveway assume they'll pull out in front of you, turning left in front of you same thing. Could go on and on just have to be careful as you can be and leave the rest up to your higher power. Wearing flipflops and shorts with no helmet is a nono too........................

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 09:28:43 PM »
I remember that you traded your Like for the bigger 300. Maybe going small again  would help. I realize that heavy protective gear is challenging in the Arizona heat, but maybe some compromise might be found.
 Either way, your concerns are valid. You now know what it feels like.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 01:38:50 AM »
Some thoughts about your situation.
I've 2 friends who've been down on their bikes.
One decided a used Miata with the top down provided nearly as many smiles as his bike used to before the Big Bang.
The other fellow bought a trailer and a nice used dirt bike. He rides it off-road at a sane pace, away from trees, rocks and traffic....and thoroughly enjoys the riding - knowing that the worst he might experience is a mouth full of dirt, broken arm or a bent brake lever.

I have a vivid imagination - always have had. I ride accordingly - and still enjoy most of the miles I ride. But I see a lot of riders who apparently cannot imagine that their gear, bikes or riding style could lead to an issue for them. I suspect that this frees them up ---

My son and I went to my coffee village this afternoon - a warm Sunday ride. We saw more than 50 2-wheelers on the roads. The ones who gave us a nod most often - were the very few fellows also wearing helmets and some sort of gear.

I was pleased to hear him say, again, that my pace of 35>45MPH on these scenic country roads is enjoyable. He is 20 - but doesn't know that I rode my Honda at these same leisurly speeds when I was also his age.
My point is I guess - all things considered (cars, inattentive drivers, deer, sand/gravel, etc.) - I maintain that SPEED is the #1 enemy.   Stig
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:44:18 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 04:49:30 PM »
When I was 19 years old (many many moons ago) I was struck while riding my motorcycle. I was told by two of my co-workers to just get back on a bike and ride. What helped me to get back to riding soon after the accident was riding with them. If you know other riders you might find it helpful to ride with a group.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 06:05:22 PM »
Pick up as much body protection as you can, get on board and take a short ride in a quite place where there won't be much traffic interaction. Make it about having fun and enjoying the feeling of the ride again. Expand outwards from there.

I'm lucky enough to live near Giants stadium and the Meadowlands racetrack, 99% of the time they're parking lots are empty, I take my wife there to learn emergency handling in snow conditions and when I was learning how to ride my 200 peoples.

Best of luck to you. 
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 09:09:23 PM »
A few things Id ask Mscmkr is:

What were you riding ? How fast were you riding? Where were you riding? Was the other driver negligent using a cellphone or just wandered into you? Were you highly visible ?

I don't think Id want to be on the highways in a motorcycle today or in heavy traffic going fast. Unlike like a car that has steel reinforced doors we have nothing nor a seat belt. A slight scape or hit could be deadly on a cycle.

Im most always going through intersections as expecting someone to violate my right of way. I try and choose my routes cautiously. Now in a powerful scooter, you are in mainstream traffic at all speeds and cagers will expect you to blow trough intersections without a care in the world. On a 50cc, I can mainly always curb the bike if I feel Im in too deep and wait out traffic congestion.

So Im not sure of what happened in your accident but on a 50cc you can most always be very conservative and thats not easy on a bigger bike in mainstream traffic. On the other end though we do take risks hoping no one is going to scrape you while pulled over and I definitely try to avoid being between traffic and parked cars (the death zone).

I do have people pulling out on me a lot and thats hair raising at times.

I dont want to start a speed debate but the faster you can go, the less reaction time you have. Sometimes though quickness can get you out of trouble. The faster you can go, the less you have to move to the side also. But thankfully the routes I choose for my rides are ones were I can keep up with traffic or have fairly good pedestrian lanes should I need to pull over.

I say give it a try but be very selective of your routes and where you ride; but with the amount of accidents that happens on the road everyday (I listen to the police scanner a lot), it takes a lot of work and effort to stay safe and sometimes thats not even enough.

Im not sure where you live or how congested it is where you ride. That would be a big factor for me. I wouldn't want to do city metropolitan riding nor any riding in those Asian areas where you have 100's of scooters barreling down the streets and sometime colliding with each other yet a lone colliding with cars.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:31:58 PM by Chris0381 »
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 04:38:59 PM »
Gotta get back up on that horse.

atxscooterguy

• Two Wheels is Better than Four
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 01:48:10 PM »
I popped a wheelie on my '89 Honda CBR 600 Hurricane (very pretty bike that I completely remodeled - love the older styles), in a mall parking lot trying to show off and it threw me off the back of the bike, hurt my back pretty bad, stopped riding after that. 10 years later, I bought my Kymco Like! I figured if I buy something more practical (and not as fast) that my chances "might" be better at doing something stupid again. I'm helping the environment, keeping a huge useless car off the road, and having fun while commuting to work every day!
'89 Honda CBR 600
'14 Kymco Like 200i

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 02:07:27 PM »
Being nervous to get back on can go two ways:
1. You could be too nervous and unsafe in your riding habits. Fear could be an enemy.

2. Your experience in your accident could serve you well in that you will be incredibly alert and a very defensive rider.

I'm with the others. Go someplace quiet. Get a feel for the scooter again. Maybe start in a parking lot and work you way to quiet, low-speed roads. Stay on those until you feel like upping the anty and pushing yourself into more traffic.

Myself, I was in an accident almost three years ago. I'm' just barely at the point of getting back on. Am I nervous Sure as hell I am! My thought process is this: The odds of one accident were slim, the odds of two are slimmer. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but it does mean that I learned a whole lot about what to do when riding - hi viz gear, and watching my 6 more closely (was hit from behind).

Also keep in mind, there's no shame in not continuing on your scooter. If you get on every time and you're fearful, what joy are you going to get out of that? If that's the case, Stig's suggestions are perfectly suitable for your situation! Hell, I've even seen some creative off-road scooters recently haha

Be well, be confident, and let us know what you decide.

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 11:14:47 PM »
Hey guys, thank you all so much for the responses I really appreciate it. The problem I am having is, when I wrecked I totaled my scooter so it's long gone now. If I get back on I would need to go out and buy another one. Since I have learned that buying cheap is a bad idea I would probably buy the same bike I had which was a Kymco People GT 300i. That's a $6000 purchase. I really loved that bike!
    I miss riding more and more everyday. I never really got to go on the rides I wanted to. I rode my Like for 10 months. That little guy was not a freeway bike so going out of town was not an option. I bought the GT so I could go up north, (I live in Phoenix) and ride up there. Or even to San Diego for a few days. I had a trip up to Prescott planned and booked when I had the accident. Nice timing right?
    I'm going to go and test ride a couple bikes this weekend to see how I feel on the road. I used to have that wonderful "immortal" thing going on before. Now I think I may be kinda skittish. That may be a good thing because I would probably be more careful when I ride.
    I will give an update on how my test rides go and if I do buy another bike.

Thanks again and ride safe everyone, mscmkr

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 01:30:11 AM »
Putter about on a lightly used CB500X for @$4700.
New CB300F for $3999.00
Good Honda bikes are better bargains than far too many scooters in my opinion.
Don't know why scooters are so expensive...compared to even bigger bikes.
And a well cared for bike will likely outlast a lot of scooters....and get you there with less drama.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 05:48:54 AM »
Hey guys, thank you all so much for the responses I really appreciate it. The problem I am having is, when I wrecked I totaled my scooter so it's long gone now. If I get back on I would need to go out and buy another one. Since I have learned that buying cheap is a bad idea I would probably buy the same bike I had which was a Kymco People GT 300i. That's a $6000 purchase. I really loved that bike!
    I miss riding more and more everyday. I never really got to go on the rides I wanted to. I rode my Like for 10 months.....

Thanks again and ride safe everyone, mscmkr
I can relate to your situation. I had my People 150 only 5 months when a drunk driver totaled it. I, too, loved my Kymco - dang, what a solid, smooth-riding scooter it was. Although I was a little tentative about getting back on my new scoot, once I did start riding again I enjoyed it even more. Now I'm much more aware of everything and am a much more alert when I ride. Take the necessary time you need to get your confidence back, then enjoy the crap out of your new ride.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 07:10:07 AM »
Hey Stig, the reason I chose a scooter was for the auto transmition. I had a 1986 Nissan Hardbody P/U for 15 years with a 5 speed in it. I HATED that thing!! After I got rid of it I vowed to myself to never buy anything with a manual shift every again!! Now, I am twist and go all the way!!
    Of course, if they ever make a twist and go Indian Chief im all over it! Lol!

Ride safe everyone and thanks again! Mscmkr

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()