Author Topic: Tank Slapper  (Read 6195 times)

Bryan

• View Profile
Tank Slapper
« on: November 12, 2009, 06:10:45 AM »
Hi There, has anyone experienced a tank slapper or should I rather say knee slapper on the X500? I noticed initially when coming up close behind another vehicle, getting ready to overtake, that the wind turbulence gets the scooter to gyrate a bit and this gave me the feeling that it could start to resonate and go into a slapper. This morning on the way to work the dude in the car I was passing started to accelerate when I was next to him so I kept the throttle full open, when I had passed him when I started to move back into the lane the scoot started to gyrate. This built up and I was sure it was going into a full blown resonance slapper and could end in disaster. The needle of the speedo was creeping past 160 km/h. The dude in the car was right on the back of me and still pushing and there was no power in reserve to power out of this. I knew I had to break the resonance somehow so I leaned forward, eased my but forward and transferred some weight from the seat to my feet while gentle easing off the throttle,  this seemed to do the trick and break the pattern. Wow that was a shock and I had a real scare. I checked the coolant, oil and tyre pressures this morning before leaving all were ok. Scary stuff. Regards from Durban RSA.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Tank Slapper
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 07:00:52 AM »
Something is off. Check for tire balance, oil in the front shocks (perhaps one is low, or empty), Or a defect in the tire allowing it to "baloon" in a weak spot. That is the WORST experience to have. Been there done that. Try picking up your bike w/ a broken collar bone , and riding yourself to the emerg. room.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

jan.strydom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 04:37:49 PM »
Bryan

you are certainly pushing that bike hard - lol

also check your tyre pressure

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 05:58:06 PM »
Wow Bryan, I haven't had that one happen, but then I have not pushed mine to that kind of speed.  Geez my calculations is thats somewhere about 99 MPH.  Go, Dude... No wonder there was no throttle left.  I've had mine up to 80 MPH (130 KPH) or so with no problems.  Not sure it would do that speed with the tall windshield I have on it. Past 80 MPH I had just as soon be on the Goldwing... 
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

Bryan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 06:36:39 AM »
Hi Guys, I have not had much experience to talk of with a scooter, other than stealing the oldman’s vespa when I was a kid for joyriding. This is the first scooter I have ever owned and in spite of being a part of that attitude about scooters that many bikers have, I am not ashamed to shout I really enjoy and love this scooter. I just love the look on their faces when I pass them on my scooter sitting up straight like a gentleman especially those HD riders. Yes I ride it hard and I also ride my GSX and the BMW hard, (except when the wife is along) but I believe I’m not a reckless rider. I am a certificated advanced skills rider and I choose the time and place and consider the risks, make sure the bike is checked before every ride and safe, and always wear full kit whenever I ride. I’ve had some strange looks but even on the scooter it’s boots, riding jeans, riding jacket, gloves, helmet everything, always. I certainly don’t think it’s anything sub-standard on the scooter that’s caused the resonance and in well over 40 years on bikes, I have seen quiet a few tank slappers on different kinds of bikes caused by resonance. I think it’s not really meant to be ridden at the extreme limit like that. It’s a scooter designed for luxury commuting. In my normal commute I cruise at 120km/h with the traffic flow (that’s our legal limit) and do push it to 140 when passing, and even to 150 occasionally and it is stable and sweet handling. It’s just when it’s at that extreme limit that the suspension etc is not quiet adequate and I understand this. Anyway I can’t see any thing obviously wrong and don’t want to start opening things up because the local dudes are very quick to cancel the warranty if they see any signs that someone else worked on it so at the 4000km service I’ll get the wheels re-balanced and the shocks checked and all the rest but until then I’ll be careful but will still ride it hard, I just love this scoot. Regards from Durban RSA.

iolite

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 10:36:37 AM »
Hi Bryan! you sent me an email and i dont know if the answer came back to you! I am in Edenvale in Gauteng! Love the xciting! dont like the speedo being far out! tested it with a gps and 120km an hour actualy is 138 on the speedo.....but wil prob get used to that! ive also had that speed wobble at full speed.....but then its happened on other bikes aswell!
I have also found that on overtaking the guys want to see wat this monster of a scooter can do and then they excelerate!!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 08:23:41 PM »
Just a thought, I used to work for a shop that calibrated speedo's for AC Delco. It is a magnetic set up that turns the needle, and depending on the strength of the field it varies the position of the needle. I am sure there is a warranty center for Kymco that can calibrate these as well. 18 kpm is quite a bit to live with.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 10:03:47 PM »
I read somewhere that they make a gadget to connect to the speedo that allows you to adjust the reading to make it more accurate.  This seems to be a common problem with scooters and motorcycles.  I've checked all of mine with the GPS and they are fast and the percent increases with speed.  I guess it helps keep me out of trouble.  It is just too easy to go fast on the X500, it runs so well.  Anyone else remember this thing?
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

Bryan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 05:57:33 AM »
Mmm! So I guess when mine touches on the 180Km then its maybe doing around 158Km. Well that's pretty darn quick for a scooter so I have no complaints. Pity about the inaccuracy though. Hi Andre, you are quiet close relatively speaking considering where some of the guys are situated but still probably 600km from me. Although it's not that far, I have a friend in Pretoria and we occasionally meet on a Suday for breakfast in Harrysmith. I use my BMW K1200 RS when we do this but would think it's possible on this scooter may take a hour or two longer. How about posting a picture? I spoke to the top dude at Kymco SA (Roy Chen) the other day, he's a bit hard to understand becuase he is Taiwanese and struggles a bit with the afro-english anyway from what I understand he says they are considering bringing in the "My Road" 700i later this year, I better start saving maybe I like it. Regards from Durban RSA. By the way I forgot to mention, the wife bought me one of those booster jump start battery packs for xmas. It's a Black and Decker product, and they had one of those, sms the bar code competions on, which she did and she has just been informed she has won a Big Boy 150cc scooter.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 06:03:44 AM by Bryan »

iolite

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 06:33:48 AM »
I would stil like to take my xciting on a long trip! I do long distince running and I am looking at all the out of town races for an excuse to use the kymco. I found Roy Chen to be very helpfull as when I bought the scooter I battled to get the reg. papers out of the seller and Roy sorted them out quickly!
Another thing that I changed on my xciting was an extra grill infront the radiator to protect it from stones damaging the fins!

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 07:10:16 PM »
I've taken a few long trips on my Xciting500 and was pleased with the way she handled. I too, come from motorcycles. The longest and quickest was from San Antonio, Texas to New Orleans, Louisiana for my son's wedding. About 1500 miles round trip, in 4 days, and with a load of clothes for going to a wedding. Wow, what a machine.

Top speed on that trip was passing semi trucks on interstate highway and having to accelerate above 80mph which was about 155kph. Xciting500 stable all the way.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

koutsouk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 05:46:27 PM »
Hi There, has anyone experienced a tank slapper or should I rather say knee slapper on the X500? I noticed initially when coming up close behind another vehicle, getting ready to overtake, that the wind turbulence gets the scooter to gyrate a bit and this gave me the feeling that it could start to resonate and go into a slapper. This morning on the way to work the dude in the car I was passing started to accelerate when I was next to him so I kept the throttle full open, when I had passed him when I started to move back into the lane the scoot started to gyrate. This built up and I was sure it was going into a full blown resonance slapper and could end in disaster. The needle of the speedo was creeping past 160 km/h. The dude in the car was right on the back of me and still pushing and there was no power in reserve to power out of this. I knew I had to break the resonance somehow so I leaned forward, eased my but forward and transferred some weight from the seat to my feet while gentle easing off the throttle,  this seemed to do the trick and break the pattern. Wow that was a shock and I had a real scare. I checked the coolant, oil and tyre pressures this morning before leaving all were ok. Scary stuff. Regards from Durban RSA.

Did you solve the instability problem my friend? i think i have the same issue. When i move the steering right left roughly i feel that something is moving at it`s own and stops after the steering. I can not sya more.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 12:11:54 AM »
Yes, something is not tight or is warn out up front/not aligned. Check tires first, and then make sure all is tight. Someting is up with forks, head bearings, tires or wheels. This is not the norm. :-*

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 06:54:27 PM »
Something is off. Check for tire balance, oil in the front shocks (perhaps one is low, or empty), Or a defect in the tire allowing it to "baloon" in a weak spot. That is the WORST experience to have. Been there done that. Try picking up your bike w/ a broken collar bone , and riding yourself to the emerg. room.

Been there, done that - not on an XCiting though.

Collarbone in 3 pieces, shoulder blade in 3 pieces, 6 broken ribs...  According to my orthopedic surgeon the communicator on my helmet lip shattered the collarbone - making everything else break easier.  I still use a communicator - but it's an inch above the bottom of the helmet.

2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

gregspeople250

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 08:37:44 PM »
Not cool!
I wonder if a steering damper could be mounted to my scoot'..  Headshake is the worst feeling short of hitting the ground.
Honda Elite 80 - SOLD
Yamaha Vino 125 - SOLD
Kymco People 250 - SOLD
Kymco Like 200i - SOLD
Vespa 250 GTS - SOLD
Piaggio BV350 - FUN! - SOLD
Buddy 170i - FUN! - SOLD
Honda Silverwing - SOLD
Yamaha TMAX - OUTSTANDING! - SOLD
Honda SH150 - SOLD
Yamaha SMAX - SOLD
Kymco AK550