Author Topic: If you had to buy a scooter again?  (Read 16253 times)

Chris0381

• View Profile
Re: If you had to buy a scooter again?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2015, 03:19:58 PM »
We can put the head gasket to rest. Partsforscooters finally listed this as a Kymco part. 2 weeks ago they didnt know if this was the right gasket.

http://www.partsforscooters.com/130-61-Hoca-Premium-Kymco-Air-Cooled-Cylinder-Gasket-Set?ext=F
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2015, 07:14:55 AM »
If I could redo. I wouldn't have bought my first 3 scooters. I can't go back to something smaller than the GTI. To be honest I've warmed up to a few Maxi style scooters. I would have stayed with th GTI or maybe the DT but I'm really starting to develope a crush on the TMax it looks nice. If money were not an issue I'd love to break in a new TMax.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2015, 10:36:06 AM »
If I could redo. I wouldn't have bought my first 3 scooters. I can't go back to something smaller than the GTI. To be honest I've warmed up to a few Maxi style scooters. I would have stayed with th GTI or maybe the DT but I'm really starting to develope a crush on the TMax it looks nice. If money were not an issue I'd love to break in a new TMax.

I test rode a Tmax and would have bought it in a heart beat but.....
I would drop it. To tall and too heavy for this crippled body.

If not for my limitations I'd have one sitting with the rest of the fleet. It's fast, agile and to my eye good looking. It the real deal. I know it lacks ABS and for the $$$ that's strange. But it wouldn't stop me.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2015, 04:51:06 PM »
Look at my profile you'll see. Ive called around to USA parts suppliers, as soon as I give them my specs they stumble and say we are not sure. Im 4 for 4 and have given up right now. Racing planet has it but its sitting in a warehouse overseas and my last order took a month.
NOW THATS A GREAT DEAL
ALL STOCK

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2015, 11:49:30 PM »
If my Peoples 200 were in act a 200 I might not have any gripes. The 163cc I do have gets me onto a highway In a pinch with her top speed of 57 mph, but the added 43 cc would be ice and I'd imagine we'd see 65-70 real mph. Being it's not 200 I'd like a 200-300cc I the same size package. No issue with the brand.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2015, 10:59:21 PM »
If my Peoples 200 were in act a 200 I might not have any gripes. The 163cc I do have gets me onto a highway In a pinch with her top speed of 57 mph, but the added 43 cc would be ice and I'd imagine we'd see 65-70 real mph. Being it's not 200 I'd like a 200-300cc I the same size package. No issue with the brand.

Your 163 cc should do well above 57 MPH. My 2010 Kymco Yager GT 200i (174.5cc) does 79 MPH, riding right at the ragged edge of the rev limiter. If the conditions are just right (hot, humid day with no wind), it'll hit that with only 3/4 throttle. That's why I'm gearing it up. I want to be able to cruise at 65 MPH at 6500 RPM, and it's got the grunt to do it.

Oh, and if I had to do it over again, I'd have bought a Kymco to begin with as my first scooter, instead of the Tank Urban Racer 150 DE, which had so many problems from the factory that it was literally falling apart after only 7800 miles.

I love my Yager, I'll likely ride it until the wheels fall off. Then I'll buy new wheels and ride it some more.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 11:05:36 PM by Yager200i »

AMAC1680

• View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2015, 12:44:52 AM »
Your 163 cc should do well above 57 MPH. My 2010 Kymco Yager GT 200i (174.5cc) does 79 MPH, riding right at the ragged edge of the rev limiter. If the conditions are just right (hot, humid day with no wind), it'll hit that with only 3/4 throttle. That's why I'm gearing it up. I want to be able to cruise at 65 MPH at 6500 RPM, and it's got the grunt to do it.

Oh, and if I had to do it over again, I'd have bought a Kymco to begin with as my first scooter, instead of the Tank Urban Racer 150 DE, which had so many problems from the factory that it was literally falling apart after only 7800 miles.

I love my Yager, I'll likely ride it until the wheels fall off. Then I'll buy new wheels and ride it some more.

I put 7000 miles on a S200 and 57mph/GPS is about the Max. Most who own this scoot will confirm that.

The Yager and the people are far different in more ways than displacement. The 163cc people is air cooled, carb two valve tech. The Yager is 174cc, liquid cooled, FI and four valve. Not even close.

The S200 is a great scoot as long as you don't need to see 60 mph. The direct equal to the S200 is the SYM HD200. Big wheels same style but a true 74 mph scoot. Priced right.

Be Big,
AMAC
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 12:47:07 AM by AMAC1680 »
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2015, 12:52:16 AM »
I would get kymco scooter all day long.... no question on that one. Different model.. if money wasnt an issue id probably think of a fuel inyected. Liquid cooling and above 200cc..

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2015, 01:35:03 PM »
I put 7000 miles on a S200 and 57mph/GPS is about the Max. Most who own this scoot will confirm that.

The Yager and the people are far different in more ways than displacement. The 163cc people is air cooled, carb two valve tech. The Yager is 174cc, liquid cooled, FI and four valve. Not even close.

The S200 is a great scoot as long as you don't need to see 60 mph. The direct equal to the S200 is the SYM HD200. Big wheels same style but a true 74 mph scoot. Priced right.

Be Big,
AMAC

I agree with your explanation of the difference beteween those two scooters. I started with the S200 and , due to the 163cc displacement, upgraded to the S250. Had to give that to my husband due to how top-heavy it was(esp. w/the 16" wheels) .

Went to the dt300i and would only upgrade if they brought the Xciting 400i to the Usa .
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2015, 08:51:57 PM »

I did that with my VW Bus - it is now a houseboat on lake Norris, TN.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

teoteo

• Laughter is the Best Medicine
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2015, 06:22:17 AM »
If I had to buy a scooter again, it would surely be another Super 8 125cc or its equivalent (no need F.I.,ABS,traction control, etc please, I use it mostly for commuting and abit of touring, don't really need all those....). Its great fun for city riding; light & easy handling right down to walking pace. Even pushing it around the carpark isn't much of a pain. I could lane-split all day long without much worries and I can maintain 100kmh on the highways too. Sure, the engine isn't "high-tech" or very entertaining but it gets the job done and done well without trouble.

FYI, buying a new scooter/bike in my country costs an arm and several legs.....(e.g. Super 8 125cc-now discontinued here-$9500 (US$7200/-), Kymco Xciting 400 $18,000 (US$13,600), Yamaha TMax530  $26,000 (US$19,600)  Go figure......   

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2015, 07:17:34 PM »
If I had to buy a scooter again, it would surely be another Super 8 125cc or its equivalent (no need F.I.,ABS,traction control, etc please, I use it mostly for commuting and abit of touring, don't really need all those....). Its great fun for city riding; light & easy handling right down to walking pace. Even pushing it around the carpark isn't much of a pain. I could lane-split all day long without much worries and I can maintain 100kmh on the highways too. Sure, the engine isn't "high-tech" or very entertaining but it gets the job done and done well without trouble.

FYI, buying a new scooter/bike in my country costs an arm and several legs.....(e.g. Super 8 125cc-now discontinued here-$9500 (US$7200/-), Kymco Xciting 400 $18,000 (US$13,600), Yamaha TMax530  $26,000 (US$19,600)  Go figure......   
I'm sorry...What country?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2015, 09:54:31 PM »
My current ride is a 2005 Kymco Grandvista / Grand Dink 250cc.  Owned for 4 years and put almost 14K miles on it and do all my own work.

Piaggio BV350 the best scooter ever made:

350cc is an ideal motor - enough power to maintain 75mph to keep up with cars on the highway (actual speed, not indicated as many speedometers lie by +6mph) great mpg,

Full-sized STANDARD motorcycle tires (TIRED OF STUPID ODD SIZED SCOOTER TIRES=LIMITED CHOICE) - lots of Brands to choose from and easy to change - tubeless tires on small 13" rims are a LOT of work! Larger tires last longer than little doughnut tires and provide much better ground clearance AND better motorcycle like ride quality -  doesn't pop you out of the seat like most scooters do

THIN PROFILE - so you can get between cars on  California crammed highways or on side-streets anywhere to get to the front of the line or make a right on red.  This is what hurts Burgman 400 and the like - TOO FAT to get between cars!!!  Any scooter that is FAT and Bloated is an automatic non-starter.

TESTIMONY  - the video below is my local scooter in San Diego.  Listen to the owner as he states that the BV350 is by far the best scooter he has ever owned and he as ridden just about everything.

Price & Parts & Service - much cheaper than the burgman 400 and there is a ton more piaggio / vespa's on the road than all the Japanese scooters combined.  Also, much cheaper than Vespa even though both are made by Piaggio. 

Smooth Vibration free - Burgman 400 has vibration issues in the handlebars. 

Conclusion BV350 - best overall scooter ever made if you intend to use it like a car including highway riding. 

CONS:
Might be too high for some and others might fear the power (which makes no sense to me - its not a racing motorcycle).
Maintenance?? - I would have to own one that is at least 7 years old and put 15K miles on it before I could really decide. 

Kymco does an excellent job - belt drive, power, etc but vespa / piaggio is still better.  Transmission / Drive belt Kymco = excellent, Vespa/Piaggio = perfect. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:05:13 PM by mrbios »
PaulC

AMAC1680

• View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2015, 12:00:49 AM »
My current ride is a 2005 Kymco Grandvista / Grand Dink 250cc.  Owned for 4 years and put almost 14K miles on it and do all my own work.

Piaggio BV350 the best scooter ever made:

350cc is an ideal motor - enough power to maintain 75mph to keep up with cars on the highway (actual speed, not indicated as many speedometers lie by +6mph) great mpg,

Full-sized STANDARD motorcycle tires (TIRED OF STUPID ODD SIZED SCOOTER TIRES=LIMITED CHOICE) - lots of Brands to choose from and easy to change - tubeless tires on small 13" rims are a LOT of work! Larger tires last longer than little doughnut tires and provide much better ground clearance AND better motorcycle like ride quality -  doesn't pop you out of the seat like most scooters do

THIN PROFILE - so you can get between cars on  California crammed highways or on side-streets anywhere to get to the front of the line or make a right on red.  This is what hurts Burgman 400 and the like - TOO FAT to get between cars!!!  Any scooter that is FAT and Bloated is an automatic non-starter.

TESTIMONY  - the video below is my local scooter in San Diego.  Listen to the owner as he states that the BV350 is by far the best scooter he has ever owned and he as ridden just about everything.

Price & Parts & Service - much cheaper than the burgman 400 and there is a ton more piaggio / vespa's on the road than all the Japanese scooters combined.  Also, much cheaper than Vespa even though both are made by Piaggio. 

Smooth Vibration free - Burgman 400 has vibration issues in the handlebars. 

Conclusion BV350 - best overall scooter ever made if you intend to use it like a car including highway riding. 

CONS:
Might be too high for some and others might fear the power (which makes no sense to me - its not a racing motorcycle).
Maintenance?? - I would have to own one that is at least 7 years old and put 15K miles on it before I could really decide. 

Kymco does an excellent job - belt drive, power, etc but vespa / piaggio is still better.  Transmission / Drive belt Kymco = excellent, Vespa/Piaggio = perfect.

Best ever. Ever. Ever.....
I've ridden it and it's a hell of a ride but best ever?

The Tmax, BMW600s just to start IMO make the BV look like , well just another scooter.  The Swing also makes it look pedestrian.

You said best "scooter" ever made. No back peddling. If you think the BV is on the same scale as the TMax you've never ridden one. Same for all the others I've mentioned.

Prone to hyperbole aren't we.

Be Big,
AMAC
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 12:04:17 AM by AMAC1680 »
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2015, 12:08:44 AM »
Beast ever. Ever. Ever.....
I've ridden it and it's a hell of a ride but best ever?...

Your right Best Ever is inaccurate.  I've never ridden the Tmax and I'm sure it is a much more capable ride than the BV.  Three problems with the Tmax: #1 Cost $10,000 or $11,000 OTD!  That is more than 2x the cost of BV.  Also, I can beat the Tmax on my GV250 or the BV because the Tmax violates the Bloat Rule - too big to get between cars.  I think $6500 or so would be more fair for the Tmax.  Finally, the mpg is what?  38-42?  I don't call that a deal breaker but I like 50+ something I barely manage on by GV250 with the uber tall Givi windscreen.

Burgman 650, Kymco MyRoad 700 - too big, to heavy, and offers power that is generally not needed.  Heck why not throw in a honda ST1300 checking in a 700+lbs with enough overkill power for 2-1/2 motorcycles.  Same for the BMW GT $9500 or close to $11K OTD and almost 600 lbs!  Also, with the BMW and any expensive scooter - what will parts cost after the scoot falls on the ground?  My Kymco has been knocked over 2x by cars.  There was no serious damage and I touched up the paint.  BMW parts are just expensive they in the clouds.  And parts for the japanse scooters can be back ordered for weeks and sometimes months - read complaints on the burgman forums. 

I stand by the statement Best overall (price, mpg, thin profile for traffic, weight, etc.)  The owner in that video owns a multi-million dollar dealership.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 12:17:19 AM by mrbios »
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()