Author Topic: Black plastic fairings turned white. How to make them black again?  (Read 6054 times)

Tom Moy

• My 500Ri
    • View Profile
Re: Black plastic fairings turned white. How to make them black again?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 07:49:11 PM »
I have used a product called  Kleen-flo (Armashine Tire Foam. When I have accidentally spilled gas on the black plastic  (which leaves a white residue after it is dried)
I spray on some of the tire foam and buff it with a soft rag and the black colouring is restored.

Bought this product in Canada at Napa Auto Parts.  It works so I will continue to use it when I wish to brighten the black plastic on my Kymko 500Ri scooter.

Tom Moy

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 07:16:41 PM »
i got something from Bondo, like a sponge and some ink stuff. i'll check the garage.

My tunnel section was cracked so i just bought a new one for like 60 bucks. its super clean again.

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 05:44:51 AM »
ANY of these WIPE-ON products, unless it changes the molecular structure of the plastic, will be short lived and come off or wash off in due time and must be reapplied.

You would need to chemically change the plastic, dye, paint, something along these lines.

Prevention is best, keep them stored out of the sun/weather, parked under covered parking, gas off the plastic, etc.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 11:10:47 AM »
Look at these.

Start around the 1 minute mark

Another method

Start here at 1:45

I used  a 60/40 paint thinner to boiled linseed oil mix as suggested in the second video. I really must say that it works. It's on there for three weeks now and I'm satisfied with the result. It stinks quite a bit though.
We'll see in a year or so.

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2015, 06:42:29 PM »
It will be good to see how that works for you, hopefully it last a lot longer than a wipe on gel which I use occasionally on various parts of plastic with short lived results.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

Nori

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 09:30:07 AM »
after you change the oil there is a always some left , take that oil with a sponge and apply only it using the sponge
but only after you've washed be motorcycle the results are very very nice and it lasts more than a month which is pretty fair time
for a cheap method and not that exclusive products that costs $$ a lot ...
on next 2 washes it'll be dust magnet but after a week it will just shine no magnet dust ;) enjoy

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()