Author Topic: Variator  (Read 10647 times)

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
Variator
« on: April 25, 2015, 01:16:22 AM »
I've been running an after market variator for some time now.  It was inexpensive,  which resulted in it premature deterioration. 
I just picked up some malossi guide clips to replace the broken ones on the stock variator.  Those clips were the main reason I got the aftermarket "performance" variator. 
After install,  my rpms remain constant again and there's no lack of top speed.  In actuality,  the consistency allowed me to put my slightly heavier sliders back in,  with the possibility for an even higher top speed.  The only thing that may be different,  hard to tell from my test run,  is the different angle of the ramps on the stock may have slightly reduced my acceleration (that was even before increasing the slider weights,  which I think match my toque spring better).
Anyways,  once again, stock parts are proving to be awesome. 
My question is has anyone found an oversized variator that is compatible, from a reliable source,  and of good quality?  I need to make sure it is either for 2stroke or of name brand quality to avoid it getting destroyed quickly. 
I found one but it says it fits the Jog 90. I don't believe their the same. 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PCRI044/ref=mp_s_a_1_34?qid=1429533167&sr=8-34&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=2+stroke+variator&dpPl=1&dpID=41eGKuIyJ8L&ref=plSrch#productDescription_secondary_view_pageState_1429533195528
Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

Scootsuper9

• View Profile
Re: Variator
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 11:49:17 AM »
O looks like ur in the same boat as me

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 03:15:49 PM »
Malossi or Dr. Pulley, the only two i trust.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 04:58:39 PM »
Have you checked/ measured your variator for the following parameters in the description you linked to:  "Pulley O.D. 94mm I.D. 21mm Crank Diameter. 16mm Ramp Plate. 15 tooth 16mm".  I think the Yamaha Jog is same style engine as ours, Minarelli.  Just have to make sure yours is 15 tooth spline on 16mm crankshaft, that 94mm pulley OD fits inside your CVT case (may have to grind a little here and there), and boss fits over 21mm crank LOLs.  I haven't measured, but don't think it fits.

I ran into the same issue and ended up buying Malossi variator 519988.  I talked with a scooter store rep and he said I would be happy with the Malossi, that the Malossi was indeed a over range variator like the Dr Pulley.  After I talked with him and reflected, I wasn't real sure about just what I was told, so I ordered the Malossi because it's supposed to fit.

Another thought, I am not sure your starter will work with this puppy, where are the teeth to engage the starter?  I know racing scooters don't have starters, they use the outside diameter of the pulley for more over range/ higher gear.  Have to use a remote starter to turn the crankshaft nut to get it started?  Probably don't want to go there, expensive electric starter with bendix and battery needed.  Plus probably need special nut on the end of the crank.  Cheers

1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 05:02:40 PM »
If $'s no object, this is what you need, as I recall B&L said he has this for his Zuma, but not available for Kymco.

http://www.amazon.com/Malossi-6112811-M6112811-Transmission-Scooter/dp/B00BWSFEHI/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1431535941&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=maLOSSI+519988
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 05:18:17 PM »
Minarelli and Kymco variator setups are 100% different. Mina. has splines down the whole shaft, kymco only splined on the end. I have a 2001 Zuma, almost exact engine in the JOG, same variator at least. The bolt on Malossi variator looks like it does not come with the outer pulley, so you should be able to retain the electric start (it hooks on the outer teeth of the pulley). And kick start is the same way. Malossi makes GREAT stuff, and everything I have purchased from them bolts right on the way it was designed. I got a Polini variator for my Zuma before I got the MHR overrange and it SUCKED, needed modification to work right, and still didn't work right after that. I had to grind a lot of aluminum away to fit the overrange but after that it works really good. It's too bad they don't make that for the Kymco engine.

Look how much larger the rear pulley is!!!!!

I did have to remove the electric starter for this kit to work but it was 100% worth it.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 05:38:35 PM »
B&L, how you start this baby?

Tries, have you looked at Malossi torque driver?  I think maybe next step for me, supposed to eliminate drop in revs as the scooter gains speed.  The OEM torque driver has a dog leg groove, gives 2 speed shift effect good for poky street scooter I guess (going from class to class at college, etc).  The Malossi has straight cut groove.  B&L says works great, consistant revs from bottom to top of speed range.

Too bad no kit like Zuma 50, expensive to buy piecemeal.  I didn't consider the torque driver when I bought the variator because of the cost, but now after more knowledge, think I probably should have gotten that too.  I knew when I got 50cc 2T it was going to be like this, spending $'s to make go like 150cc 4T that you could buy for less $'s, but more fun.  Actually, when I go to 150cc 4T will probably be a Honda PCX125 or 150 so I am probably saving $'s with 50 compared to that one.  Cheers

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 06:06:12 PM »
B&L, how you start this baby?

Tries, have you looked at Malossi torque driver?  I think maybe next step for me, supposed to eliminate drop in revs as the scooter gains speed.  The OEM torque driver has a dog leg groove, gives 2 speed shift effect good for poky street scooter I guess (going from class to class at college, etc).  The Malossi has straight cut groove.  B&L says works great, consistant revs from bottom to top of speed range.

Too bad no kit like Zuma 50, expensive to buy piecemeal.  I didn't consider the torque driver when I bought the variator because of the cost, but now after more knowledge, think I probably should have gotten that too.  I knew when I got 50cc 2T it was going to be like this, spending $'s to make go like 150cc 4T that you could buy for less $'s, but more fun.  Actually, when I go to 150cc 4T will probably be a Honda PCX125 or 150 so I am probably saving $'s with 50 compared to that one.  Cheers

I have the kick starter fully functional, and don't mind using it at all on this little bike, makes you look like a man! The pulley won't be oversize unless it says "overrange" and I don't think they even make an overrange rear pulley for the Kymco engines. The Malossi rear pulley would make an EPIC upgrade.

Scootsuper9

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 09:55:14 PM »
Have any of you guys used the malossi final drive set? Unfortunately it's unavailable but woulda helped with top end. Oh btw. I heard that the dr. Pulley variator doesn't fit without grinding or the cvt cover or something, and is there any variator i can use with the electric start? My kick start never seems to work right

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 09:59:48 PM »
Have any of you guys used the malossi final drive set? Unfortunately it's unavailable but woulda helped with top end. Oh btw. I heard that the dr. Pulley variator doesn't fit without grinding or the cvt cover or something, and is there any variator i can use with the electric start? My kick start never seems to work right

I can't say 100% for sure, but most of the variator "kits" will work just like stock, electric start, kick start no grinding the case etc.

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 12:32:37 AM »
Are you getting top speed or better pick-up
ALL STOCK

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 12:59:39 AM »
Are you getting top speed or better pick-up

Who?

demeter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 05:56:28 AM »
makes you look like a man!

lol. Good tip. I will start kicking it when girls are around.  8)
2010 Like 50 2T (Malossi 70cc BBK, Tecnigas Next-R, Blue Polini Torque Spring, Yellow Clutch Springs, 5.5g Sliders, Stock Carb: 95 MJ, Stock Airbox Drilled, PIAA GT-X Headlight, Kolite 5630 Running Lights, 140/70-12 Rear Tire)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 06:35:20 AM »
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=13995.msg139076#msg139076

Got this for sale too guys, cheap upgrade. I'm open to offers

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 08:16:32 AM »
Minarelli and Kymco variator setups are 100% different. Mina. has splines down the whole shaft, kymco only splined on the end. I have a 2001 Zuma, almost exact engine in the JOG, same variator at least. The bolt on Malossi variator looks like it does not come with the outer pulley, so you should be able to retain the electric start (it hooks on the outer teeth of the pulley). And kick start is the same way. Malossi makes GREAT stuff, and everything I have purchased from them bolts right on the way it was designed. I got a Polini variator for my Zuma before I got the MHR overrange and it SUCKED, needed modification to work right, and still didn't work right after that. I had to grind a lot of aluminum away to fit the overrange but after that it works really good. It's too bad they don't make that for the Kymco engine.

Look how much larger the rear pulley is!!!!!

I did have to remove the electric starter for this kit to work but it was 100% worth it.
ALL STOCK

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()