Author Topic: Tire options and reviews.  (Read 6762 times)

kneeslider

• View Profile
Tire options and reviews.
« on: May 05, 2015, 02:44:13 AM »
Hi all,

I am not sure about UK or USA about the availability of tires for the DownTown but here in Malaysia, the tire size gives it a very small range in terms of tire options.

From what I see online:

1) Metzeler Feel Free
2) Michelin Pure SC
3) Bridgestone Hoop B02 PRO
4) Pirelli Diablo Scooter
5) Dunlop Scoot Smart

I think those are the market leaders, unless I missed out some others.

What are you guys using?
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Tire options and reviews.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 03:35:25 AM »
Michelin Pilot pure is my personal favorite tire. Great life and the most confident handling tire. I'm a Michelin man though, so a little biased.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 03:55:49 AM »
I have on the scoot 7000kms on the Michelin Pure SC and I cannot say i like it very much. Of course the handing characteristics of a scooter is limited (except the T-Max and maybe the C600) but I could not find the Pure SC confident inspiring. Maybe because it is a cross ply?

I too like have tried the Michelin Pilot Power 3 on my Ducati and it was definately better then the Bridgestone BT016 Pro which they replaced. This Pure SC didn't give me the feedback that I would have liked. Also when it's wet, the breakway/slip is all too sudden, zero progressive release. 

But the mileage is better than the Maxxis Pro that came with the bike. I think there is another 2000km from my rear.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 04:17:27 AM »
I have on the scoot 7000kms on the Michelin Pure SC and I cannot say i like it very much. Of course the handing characteristics of a scooter is limited (except the T-Max and maybe the C600) but I could not find the Pure SC confident inspiring. Maybe because it is a cross ply?

I too like have tried the Michelin Pilot Power 3 on my Ducati and it was definately better then the Bridgestone BT016 Pro which they replaced. This Pure SC didn't give me the feedback that I would have liked. Also when it's wet, the breakway/slip is all too sudden, zero progressive release. 

But the mileage is better than the Maxxis Pro that came with the bike. I think there is another 2000km from my rear.

Interesting, I found exactly the opposite in the rain with the dual tread compound, i know EXACTLY when it will lose traction and it takes a lot. The edges are soft and sticky so if you need to power through a corner it'll hang on. I've beaten many motorcycles on my favorite twisties around here.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 02:10:36 PM »
300i downtown   I have a power pure on the front , and a city grip on the back, seems to work well!!

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 02:16:47 PM »
I can only say good things about the michelin powerpure. I have it on the front. Like it. Very nice behaviour. Won't let you down't in wet weather either.
The rear is an avon viper stryke, which I don't like at all. The slightest moisture on the ground and it looses grip. I can't wait to wear it down enough not to be sorry for dumping it. I'll probably get a powerpure or citygrip as a replacement. Dunlop Scootsmart are also good as I heard.
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 03:01:22 PM »
I've seen a lot of 5 Star reviews for the Metzler Tires .
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 01:40:42 AM »
300i downtown   I have a power pure on the front , and a city grip on the back, seems to work well!!

I didn't realize City Grip came in a size for the rear.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 09:04:51 AM »
I've seen a lot of 5 Star reviews for the Metzler Tires .

I nearly bought the Metzeller, but it was much more expensive than the Michelin at the time I was looking for new tires.
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 03:53:21 PM »
Just put a new 140\70-12 Pilot Pure on late last night, LOVE IT!!!!!! You literally can't beat them for the price, i ride hard and still get 5000mi on a rear tire.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 10:36:32 PM »

yes you can get 150/70 13 for the back but 120/80 14 is not available in city grip, that is why I have power pure in front,. 

RubenC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 03:20:26 AM »
Hi,

I have been using Metzeler for over the last 16K miles. I like the way they ride and handle wet weather.  I don't mind paying a little bit more if it makes me feel safer.  Even the mechanic at Moxie's tried to convince me to switch to Michelin but I said no.
From the Great Nation called Texas. Oops I mean the Great State called Texas

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 02:22:54 PM »
  yes you can get 150/70 13 for the back but 120/80 14 is not available in city grip, that is why I have power pure in front,.

they're available in europe:
http://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre-details/michelin-city-grip-winter-120-80-14-58-s-front-tl-m-c#91048888
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 02:40:01 PM by nushipwright »
. mostly 2up city

donjack

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 07:06:41 PM »
Dunlop scoot smart for me, front and rear. damned good tyres in my opinion! they inspire confidence  :)
Why Ride 1 Mile When 10 Will Do!!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 10:00:33 PM »
Dunlop scoot smart for me, front and rear. damned good tyres in my opinion! they inspire confidence  :)
This is what the NSS300 Honda scoots come with - but such a strange size that I had to move to a Bridgestone Hoop one size larger when I ran over large sharp metal piece. Scoot Smart still on the front. Must remove one Dunlop sticker and add one Bridgestone stticker, now!
I hate buying and mixing tires - but did not want to replace both fairly new Scoot Smarts!  Besides - time to get away from that strange size once and for all. No issues with a larger size - in my daily commutes. Speedo still dead accurate, gearing seems OK.
I too am a Michelin man - when that front Dunlop wears out going to all Michelins on the Honda (LIKE200i has 'em front and rear since 400 miles on scoot)
Stig
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()