Author Topic: just under 60 mpg  (Read 5020 times)

ispud

• View Profile
just under 60 mpg
« on: November 16, 2009, 03:15:13 AM »
1.6 gallons 93 miles.  city driving, premium (no ethanol) this year ps250 model - sound about right?

I have started turning my scooter off at long stop lights if I know I have to wait the entire cycle of the light - good idea?? bad idea??

:)>>

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: just under 60 mpg
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 04:22:49 AM »
I have always been under the assumption that shutting down, and re-starting is where MOST of the wear, and tear on the engine happens. The hot oil will flow off the moving parts giving a dry start condition. The TINY amount of fuel used to idle is worth the peace of mind to me.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 04:24:12 AM »
Mine's typically in the mid-to-high 50s. Best tank so far was 66mpg.

Can't believe that idling for a minute at a light uses less gas than starting it up does.

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 04:26:58 AM »
Also like to add: Use Fuelly, y'all!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 04:40:54 AM »
That site looks interesting, I'll check it out some more. You may save gas on the shut down /re-start, but I would be more concerned w/ the piston, and cylinder wear because of the wash down effect. I may be mistaken so I err on the side of caution.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 11:47:28 AM »
...not to mention the  added wear on your starter........speaking of...where the crap is that warrantied one I am waiting for....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 01:49:49 PM »
ok ok - no more shutdown - sheeesh!

it does cut down on vibration!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 08:33:17 PM »
It just occurred to me. There are magnets you can attach to the scoot that are made to trip those long lights. Most small vehicles cant trip the embedded sensors in the road. Try to google them. I even think there is a post on the forum about them working well!

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 09:53:34 PM »
It just occurred to me. There are magnets you can attach to the scoot that are made to trip those long lights. Most small vehicles cant trip the embedded sensors in the road. Try to google them. I even think there is a post on the forum about them working well!
If they work (and some DOT people will tell you they're unlikely to work with most traffic signal control installations), they can only let the sensor know that there's a vehicle there, waiting for the signal to change.

I'm glad I live in a state where I can treat a red light as a stop sign.  :)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 10:49:53 PM »
That's 100% correct. There are several different sensors. Some are triggered by light. If you see a sensor on the bracket above or next to the lite itself, flashing your high beams may trip the sensor. If you see the signs of groves cut into the road at or near the stop line magnets may work. When I lived in St. Augustine there were several intersections I would just avoid because the scoot just would not trigger the lite. Mostly on US 1. The side road lites would stay red to keep the highway moving. Stop sign red lites would be a welcome addition in Fla. As much as the right on red is.

garibaldi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 12:22:53 AM »
Regarding idle vs shutdown.. I've always heard it the opposite. Idling is bad for engines, whereas the oil film will stay on the parts for a long time so you won't have "dry start" after a short stop. I think the statement "startup is the hardest on engines" is referring to cold-start after sitting overnight. Of course, the same argument goes for idling... "idling is bad" probably refers to long periods of idle, like leaving your car running while you run into the store to grab a snack or waiting outside the house for a female...  ;D (said in good humor, of course).

So, I did a quick google search and found this (not that it's authoritative, but it makes sense):

Engine wear
Idling damages your engine components ...

...including the cylinders, spark plugs and the exhaust system. When an engine idles, fuel residue builds up on the cylinders, spark plugs and exhaust system.

An idling engine is not operating at peak temperature, resulting in incomplete fuel combustion. Fuel residues can condense on cylinder walls, contaminate oil and damage engine components. With more engine idling these residues tend to deposit on spark plugs. The resulting plug fouling can increase fuel consumption by 4 to 5 percent. Excessive idling can also cause water to condense in the vehicle's exhaust. This can lead to corrosion and reduce the life of the exhaust system.

Residue from idling leads to costly damage and decreases the car’s gas mileage. Idling is bad for the engine. On the other hand, frequent restarting has little impact on engine components such as the starter motor and the battery.

It probably doesn't matter either way. But there seems to be a murphy's law or some quirk of the universe that goes like this: "The likelihood of your engine NOT starting is directly related to the urgency behind NEEDING it to start." We learn this principle from watching horror movies.  ;D  I've always had an irrational fear of shutting off a running vehicle in traffic for fear it suddenly and inexplicably will refuse to start up again.... lol

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 12:44:49 AM »
I just know it's a pain in the ass when my scoot dies at a stop light!  My starter went out, and I haven't really cared enough to spend $70 for a new one.  I have to dismount, pop it up on the center stand and kick it!  People look at you funny too, at least I feel like they do! ;D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 03:01:50 AM »
garibaldi, I 100% agree w/ you. There are too many studies each way. I LOVE the need to start equalizer. shaka; you're just funny anyway. Next time you're dis-mounting... Post it for us.

garibaldi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 03:44:26 AM »
When I was a teenager, I had a Renault R10. It had starter troubles at one time. The motor was in the back, in a longitudinal layout - i.e. the 4 cylinders went front to back, instead of being transverse like modern fwd cars. That's important for this story. The end of the crankshaft had a slot cut in it, and the body had a hole through it lined up with the crank... Now comes the tire tool with a special end to fit the crank... And me standing in a very busy parking lot at the back of my car where the whole world could observe, fitting the tire tool into the crank slot, and hand cranking my little car to start it. Imagine trying THAT at a traffic light!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 03:47:24 AM by garibaldi »

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 05:12:12 AM »
LOL!  It did die on me at a stop light maybe a week ago after I had played around with the idle, but luckily it hasn't happened in awhile besides that!  I guess it makes me feel a little better that it starts right back up one kick, and I don't have to hand crank it!!! :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()