Author Topic: Kymco people 50 troubleshooting  (Read 9496 times)

cygnusx8

• View Profile
Kymco people 50 troubleshooting
« on: November 17, 2009, 08:32:43 PM »
Hey guys. Trying to diagnose the cause of starting problems I'm having with my Kymco. So far I've installed new carb, auto bystarter and auto cock. Fuel is flowing pretty well from gas tank to auto cock and from there to carb. Have fresh gas and oil and new spark plug. So I'm thinking reed. What are the symptoms of a bad reed? Any other suggestions for me to try? Thanks.
Wanted to add that engine compression if fine, too.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:36:30 PM by cygnusx8 »

juice

• View Profile
Re: Kymco people 50 troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 08:58:23 PM »
I paid my local kymco dealer $155.00 to tell me my slide was sticking . Good luck .

cygnusx8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:24:54 PM »
What's a slide?

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 09:28:56 PM »
That's a good question!  I would like to know the answer to that as well.  I just replaced my intake and reed block on my zx50 and am having issues.  I'm wondering if the new reeds are the culprit.  I don't know how to tell if the reeds are working correctly, what are the symptoms of bad/incorrect reeds? 

The slide is the part of your carburetor that moves up and down in the center.  It's position is controlled by the throttle.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 10:12:05 PM »
Hey cygnusx8,  Have you checked the spark. Obvious question I know! You can pull the reed cage, and take a look. If there is a problem it will be obvious. The factory reeds are stainless steel, and will last a long time. If the spark is good try to hold your hand over the carb. while cranking. It may try to start w/ the extra fuel. Also try removing the exhaust it may be fouled up or plugged. Don't run it for more than a few seconds without the exhaust. you are just trying to eliminate problems. Ps welcome to the forum! One after thought Make sure the slide is moving up, and down w/ the throttle. There is a pin that aligns the slide on install, and must be correct.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

cygnusx8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 08:16:13 PM »
Should have new reed in the next couple of days and will update you guys. I do have a Technigas exhaust on this thing with stock carb so it could be jetting issue, too. I did have this thing running with Technigas, it would start right up and idle fine but would not rev well which led me to believe it was a fuel flow issue. Checked the slide, it's moving fine and pins are aligned.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 08:18:35 PM by cygnusx8 »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 01:47:03 PM »
The Technigas will move 3-4 times as much air as the stock pipe. You will have to re-jet the carb to match the pipe. It may just be going too lean to run.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 02:17:11 AM »
...all this talk about "reeds" and "slides"...i need to get me a 2-stroke....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 03:00:36 AM »
What are "valves" and "cams"?  You're missing out!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 03:24:29 AM »
Reeds= $40.00- Slide=$15.00    Valves/head=$125.00- Cam=$150.00      Yeah, get a 2t!= Priceless!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 03:27:57 AM »
...lmao..you guys crack me up...i got me a hot lil 4t tho....

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 03:33:23 AM »
I know there is a country song in there somewhere. I gots me a hot lil 4t. I gets to work and back on a Qt. All the gals think I'm real sporty...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 03:36:30 AM »
..when they go down on my pee-*ee...

..dang...did I say that...hadda buzz last night i reckon...

..sorry ladies...

peace
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 12:47:55 AM by wordslinger »

cygnusx8

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 12:38:47 AM »
Update. Got a new carb, reed, autocock and autobystarter. Using synthetic oil and clean gas. Still have technigas exhaust. I called Scooter clinic in Florida and spoke to one of the mechanics. His was familiar with Kymco 50 and said that carb does not need re-jetting with Technigas pipe. The only way it will run is if I have air valve almost closed on the carb and even then it's not reliable at all. Stall out fast and I was only able to get around the block on it. Running out of ideas....

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 12:46:23 AM »
The only other major factor would be a faulty seal in the block. If you are acquiring air from another source it would lean out your mix too a state where it just wont burn. Have/can you do a preasure/vacuum test on the engine? It is just as important as a compression test on a 2t engine.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()