Author Topic: Can you rainproof a scooter??  (Read 1466 times)

SeanOaloha

• View Profile
Can you rainproof a scooter??
« on: November 18, 2009, 01:23:08 PM »
Hey ALL - yesterday I was riding to work and I started to get some kind of arcing noise from the blinker....I am just at the beginning of a long rainy season and I am already having problems with water getting inside the AGILITY 50. I have thought to cover the air holes on the front shroud and under seat shroud but I think they are for air flow too, I also heard about dielectric grease but I need a way to keep water out, I also lost a headlight to moisture. ANY suggestions are helpful, what should I do PLEASE HELP!! URGENT!!!8 days straight of rain and not letting up, ALOHA Sean
MAHALO FOR YOUR ALOHA!!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Can you rainproof a scooter??
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 06:46:56 PM »
..I had to re-seal my headlamp reflector assembly, leaked at first...also make sure the rubber boot fits around the headlamp socket housing well...may even want to apply a light coating of silicon...I've not had any problems with the signals, or any other area as of yet...and I ride daily, rain or shine...had a State Trooper follow me for 10 miles one day in the pouring rain..guess he felt sorry for me...nobody passed me though!!!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 06:47:29 PM »
Sure wish there was a way. About all you can do is use a wd-40 type product to repel the water from all your electrical stuff. Once a week or so give all the parts a good blast. You can turn things like the flasher around or over to allow water to run off instead of in. Maybe add a shroud here and there to deflect as much as you can. Feel your pain Bro.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 08:03:07 PM »
GUNK makes a product called acra-seal it is a clear automotive ignition sealer spray . It is waterproof and flexable . Amazon sells it if you cant find it locally . Good luck .

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 11:36:17 PM »
I been having the same intermittent problems with my turn signals as well!  It seems to be in the switch.  I haven't really looked at it yet.  I've been more focused on engine work!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 03:50:59 AM »
Wd or PB will fix it. Mine was stored outside before I bought it, and all the switches felt like they would break before they moved. a few squirts later, and good as new
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 01:56:47 PM »
My suggestion would be to generously smear silicon grease (Not the spray stuff, real grease.) on any electrical connectors before you plug them in. That will waterproof the connections. You should be able to get some at Radio Shack (Model: 276-1372  |  Catalog #: 276-1372) for ~$3.00. Auto, electronics and marine parts houses are another possible source.
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()