Author Topic: Stig's 2 Year LIKE200i review  (Read 1202 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Stig's 2 Year LIKE200i review
« on: May 22, 2015, 02:28:35 AM »
2 years ago I asked the forum if a LIKE200i would run 365, in all weathers, for my work commuting in Ohio.
2 fellows waffled.....but dear old Vivo said it would ford rivers with no issues.
I went with Vivo's advice and brought home a new, April 2012 built, LIKE200i on April 2013.
He was correct - the weather seems to have no effect on this Electronically Fuel Injected scooter. Instant starts & perfect idling are the norm - in heavy rain and in temps as low as 1 degree Fahrenheit. I ride it to work every day that it is not icy or snowing. I think I had to take the bus 7 times last winter.
It has never failed to start or get me home - for 25 months.

I knew from the get-go that I wanted the full set of crash bars - they were my 1st purchase and install.

Within a few weeks I replaced the Kendas with Michelin City Grips for safer riding, including wet weather riding.

Next I purchased some long shafted Italian mirrors to see behind me.

Next I tried to improve the front lighting with LEDs. Eventually I removed them and put in amber reg. 5W bulbs which make me pretty visible.

After 5 mos I could no longer ignore the pretty but very uncomfortable seat - so I purchased a used seat and rebuilt it.

A selling point was the LIKE's huge tail light - for safety. But I wanted more rear lighting for my night time and foul weather commuting.

So I purchased and installed a BESTEM 929 top case with built in LED running lights and brake lights.(several hundreds of dollars cheaper than a Shad or Givi set)

Along the way I added Dr Pulley sliders, a larger capacity Yuasa battery & battery tender, a Yamaha electric fuel pump, a NGK Iridium spark plug and a Tiny Tachometer.....and the dealer replaced a failing throttle body under warranty. All parts but the latter - were probably unecessary.... but I wouldn't change them.

The scooter has a bit over 8000 miles, I get @77 MPG's, the oils get changed every 600 & 1000 miles (eng. & grs.) the scoot uses no oil and leaks no oil. and has had 6 valve lash checks. The Michelins have 7500+ miles --  the rear might go another 1K or 2K, and the front much more than that.
I cannot think of any parts which have failed except the throttle body which lost its slow speed plot.

Even with my Honda scooter - I enjoy riding this KYMCO to work several days a week. It is my foul weather scooter every time - with that big lighted top case on my caboose! I haven't WOT'd it in a yr - but it did @ 60mph down grade and hauls my 275lbs easily up hills at 45 mph - which is all I typically ask of it.
 A really great urban scooter - and once you fix the seat you'll stop hunting for the magic "better rear shocks".
Stig
PS: I had no scooter servicing experience - fortunately the LIKE is pretty simple to service with a few tools -- and the advice of forum members along the way.
Regarding the finish & 2 winters of salted roads riding - I give it a rinse with the garden sprayer after a wet salt commute only. The scoot looks new, front to rear. All scoots should have silver wheels - they look great with the Michelins all the time. The body waxes up very well.
PPS: I check the oil every day at lunch time, or after every ride. I check the fasteners every few days - and the brake rotors get a quick scrub twice a month with a green kitchen scrubby to reduce brake grabbing from using the brakes too lightly.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 02:51:48 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Stig's 2 Year LIKE200i review
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 12:47:29 PM »
Good review, Stig! Good pix, too!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 03:06:36 PM »
Nice info.. happy for your good experience hope to get same satisfaction after 2 yr ownership!
Keep putting miles on that 163cc [emoji2]

SUPER 9 MANN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 11:48:43 PM »
nice history on the raising of your scooter like 200
I might be test riding a few kymcos this weekend, anything between 50cc and 200cc or maybe the 300

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 06:09:14 PM »
Are the lower lights in the front on or just a reflection of the flash
ALL STOCK

atxscooterguy

• Two Wheels is Better than Four
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 12:20:42 PM »
Nice review Stig! It was this website that eventually led to my decision to buy the Like, I think that for the price, warranty, reliability, and the cool looks, the Like just can't be beat!
'89 Honda CBR 600
'14 Kymco Like 200i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()