Author Topic: Flat tire on the road-advice?  (Read 2455 times)

Pactnmmt

• View Profile
Flat tire on the road-advice?
« on: May 24, 2015, 09:31:10 PM »
i know anyone can end up with a flat tire, but it is something I had not considered when out riding on my 500!  Are scooters more prone to flats?  I've watched videos on patching a tire, but don't have a kit yet.  What flat tire kits do you suggest to carry? 

0BARK4322

• View Profile
Re: Flat tire on the road-advice?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 09:44:09 PM »
Go to the technical/ how to section and click on bike pump.....information is there.....Welcome
ALL STOCK

bman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 09:47:10 PM »
I carry "sticky worms" and an electric pump. Have added some round car size patches hoping to seal the inside in case of a tear.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
go to
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 01:03:24 AM »
Technical / how to

300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Pactnmmt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 01:40:16 AM »
Thanks! I'll head to technical!

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 09:30:17 PM »
i know anyone can end up with a flat tire, but it is something I had not considered when out riding on my 500!  Are scooters more prone to flats?  I've watched videos on patching a tire, but don't have a kit yet.  What flat tire kits do you suggest to carry?

To answer your question, It is my opinion that scooter tires will be more susceptible to punctures simply because you do not have a lot of tread depth like a car tire.
Having said that, I have had one flat on my GT at around 8000 miles.
It was a metal sliver that deflated my rear tire. Bet it would not have reached the inner core on one of our cars.
A strange thing happened to me and the wife years ago. We were on our way to a ski resort. Stopped at a Hardee s and parked in the rear in a gravel lot. New car, new tires, came out after eating to discover we had a flat. Believe it or not, a small sharp rock punctured a steel belted radial tire.
You never know. :o
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 12:03:46 AM »
I carry my mobile phone and a credit card. There is zero chance of me playing roadside mechanic with the yahoos that drive paying little attention to what's going on around them.

Just me.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Pactnmmt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 12:25:43 AM »
I carry my mobile phone and a credit card. There is zero chance of me playing roadside mechanic with the yahoos that drive paying little attention to what's going on around them.

Just me.

Be Big,
AMAC

AMAC, I also have no desire to play roadside mechanic (or any time), but sometimes there is no cell phone coverage in the rural places so I just want to be prepared.  AAA is definitely in my wallet!!

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 11:03:14 AM »
Progressive and Gieco have towing and right now Im depending on them. I want a repair kit though or some sort of backup for simple nail punctures. For my car I used to use my scuba tank but dont dive as much anymore so I dont carry my tank in my trunk anymore.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 11:50:17 AM »
The sticky worm patch think works great.but you still need to find away of geting air in the tire.

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 11:53:48 PM »
OH YEA.........WELCOME
ALL STOCK

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 01:10:08 AM »
I've had a nice zipped bag kit under my scooter seat for a couple of years - you guys made me go look in it the other evening. I got gummy worms, poking things, a knife thing, rubber patches, tube of nicely hardened rubber cement, C02 bottles, a firing mechanism of some sort, hoses and tubes and ....Idon'tknowwhat-all.  I know I'd better not try boarding a plane with it.
I need to lay this stuff out and figure out what I've got and how to use it. I know one thing - I'm not ever going to be removing a tire and patching it from the inside with those rubber patches. This thing ain't a Murry bike and you can't patch a scooter tire with a rusty pair of pliers and a butter knife like we used to.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()