Author Topic: Like 200I rear wheel play  (Read 2296 times)

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
Like 200I rear wheel play
« on: May 30, 2015, 05:39:58 PM »
 When inspecting the bike this morning, I noticed the rear wheel has some side to side play in it. It can be moved as if it pivots on the axle. The movement may be about 1/8" - 3/16" at the outside of the tire. I noticed a dull noise coming from the rear a few days ago when braking.  I checked my other Like for this movement and it feels solid, no side to side movement at all.
 It seems like a bearing or sleeve issue to me, but I have no experience with scooter wear. I was going to take it to the professionals to check it out unless anyone has some idea if this could be a minor issue.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
Re: Like 200I rear wheel play
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 09:31:31 PM »
If it's side to side movement maybe your axle nut is loose a bit, as if it were sliding left to right on the axle. Other movement like rocking the wheel at the top and bottom and moving the wheel back n forth is definitely a bearing issue. Put up on the center stand and see how it's moving.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:36:29 PM by 2wheelfun »

LidoCA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 01:30:20 AM »
 It is definitely rocking on the axle. I didn't notice anything while riding, except for a groan while braking. It always seemed to have some play. It just seems excessive now. I never thought to compare it to the other bike until today.
 I was going to open it up. Instead, I dropped it off at the dealer, just in case the parts are covered under the second year warranty. Labor is not covered after the first year warranty.
 It only has 5400 miles. It seems kind of soon to be having this type of issue. I haven't read about this problem before.  We'll see what they say.
Steve

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 03:57:34 AM »
Have you ever washed your bike with a high pressure sprayer or concentrated garden hose spray? If so, be sure not to direct any water directly at the bearings. The seals on the sides of the bearings aren't water-tight. Once water gets in the bearings, they rust and pretty soon you've got bad bearings.

Hybrid ceramic or full ceramic bearings are one fix for that (at least for the rusting... water can still get in the bearings so you still shouldn't spray them), but they're expensive. I put hybrid ceramic bearings in the rear gears and the wheels... the thing rolls almost too easily now. Backing out of the garage, I've got to keep a finger over the brake lever, because there's a very slight (almost imperceptible) decline right outside the garage, and the bike wants to roll fast once it hits that decline.

Another fix is coating the outside of the bearings (outside the seal) with a coat of super-thick grease, to act as a water repellent.

On my scooter, the right-hand rear swing arm has a bearing that sits deep inside it. A round hunk of rubber cut out of an old tire and fit in that hole blocks any water ingress from the outside.

And you should take your bearings out every couple or few years, rinse the old grease out, inspect them, and regrease or replace as necessary.

atxscooterguy

• Two Wheels is Better than Four
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 02:05:44 PM »
Yup, try tightening the axle nut first (easiest fix), I'm not sure what the torque specs are on that nut, but DO NOT overtighten it, or you WILL have more problems lol. If that isn't it, probably the bearings/sleeves...
'89 Honda CBR 600
'14 Kymco Like 200i

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 07:31:58 AM »
Yup, try tightening the axle nut first (easiest fix), I'm not sure what the torque specs are on that nut, but DO NOT overtighten it, or you WILL have more problems lol. If that isn't it, probably the bearings/sleeves...
PLUS ON THAT
ALL STOCK

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 10:36:55 PM »
It's the wheel bearing, and there is a brass bushing on the other end.

It's an easy fix if you have basic hand tools, and a propane torch to remove the bushing. A dealer might be as high as 400.00 bucks depending on labor, and the parts are less than 50 bucks.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

LidoCA

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 03:36:55 PM »
 I picked up the scooter from the dealer last week. As it turns out, it was just something minor. According to the service mouthpiece, an adjustment bolt, nut or something worked its way loose, along with the axle nut. I am not sure what kind of adjustment he was talking about. It sounds odd. Anyway, it was nothing. I don't feel bad about taking it to the dealer instead of checking myself. I was concerned about the extent of work that might be needed. I am still learning scooters.
Steve

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()