Author Topic: Just hauled the 2015 Anniversary Edition home this morning...  (Read 1887 times)

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
Just saying hello. Had the 2015 50th Anniversary Edition loaded onto my Chevy Colorado this morning. Took a "careful" drive home and had two guys help me carry the scoot off the back of the truck :)
Busy day so I only ran the scoot around for a bit; thunderstorms settled in after we were home from Kayaking and paddle boarding.
I'll start reading and exploring the scooter tomorrow.
Question, the dealer, a super nice fellow, told me 500 miles for first service. I was thinking maybe a bit earlier would be a good thing. Scooter had one mile on it when I took it home.
When would you take it in for the first service?

2wheelfun

• View Profile
Re: Just hauled the 2015 Anniversary Edition home this morning...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 04:25:06 AM »
Everyone has a different opinion on when to do it, but all generally acknowledge that the Chinese oil installed from the factory is an inferior oil. To me that says sooner is better than later. On my Movie 150 I changed engine oil at 350 miles, gear box near 400. The oil from the factory even stinks like 10,000 mi used oil.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 06:48:33 AM »

I changed my oil at 25 miles and 50 miles, changed it hot after a 25 mile run, lots of metal came out with the oil,  the dealer changed the rear end oil cold ,  at 600 miles , I changed the rear end at the same time as I changed the oil , in the motor,  and I changed it hot and a lot of metal came out of the rear end oil after 1,000 miles I used full synthetic oil mobil 1 5 W 50 ,  and  # 90 oil in the rear end, again full synthetic,   my Baby is a 300i Downtown

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 11:12:37 AM »
Well I guess earlier can't hurt (as longer as earlier means you squeeze an additional fluid change into the schedule and not just do the first change sooner with the next change coming at a longer interval). I think I'll tend towards 300 miles and ask them to do both (engine & gear). Then do it again at 600 miles. The dealer has said I will find his service rates very friendly; we'll see  ::)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 03:54:10 PM »
Well I guess earlier can't hurt (as longer as earlier means you squeeze an additional fluid change into the schedule and not just do the first change sooner with the next change coming at a longer interval). I think I'll tend towards 300 miles and ask them to do both (engine & gear). Then do it again at 600 miles. The dealer has said I will find his service rates very friendly; we'll see  ::)
Never too early to get some known good stuff in both ends.
I did ask at the service desk, before buying,   what the 600 mile service would be. It was something like $372.
I studied on this ....read some forums and watched some videos on scooter servicing - then bought the LIKE200i and less than $100 worth of tools - and have done all the service for 8000+ miles and 2 yrs. Typically doing servicing about twice as often, or more,  as scheduled in the manual. It is fun, relaxing, bonds me with the scoot, saves $, etc. Keep receipts and a written log - self servicing does NOT void the warranty - just don't screw it up. I had one major warranty fix (free) - my self servicing was not an issue with the dealer or KYMCO USA.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

HelloPitty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 04:11:18 PM »
I just saw one at a dealer yesterday, LOVE that color/decal combo!
Congrats!

atxscooterguy

• Two Wheels is Better than Four
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 11:30:55 AM »
Yes! Change the oils immediately!!! The fluids that are in there (or lack thereof) are absolute crap! Just bought a like not too long ago, congrats & welcome to the forum!
'89 Honda CBR 600
'14 Kymco Like 200i

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 11:10:52 AM »
Yea, just change the oil being that it is something you can do yourself and have a peace of mind
ALL STOCK

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()