Author Topic: need help with running problem  (Read 2097 times)

raz

• View Profile
need help with running problem
« on: June 10, 2015, 03:31:59 PM »
Last year I got a 2009 People 150.  It needed tires but seemed to run okay when I drove it on a test drive.  However, after maybe 10 short trips of 1 or 2 miles I noticed when I went to start it, it took a few seconds turning over before it started.  Also, I noticed when I stopped at an intersection it wanted to die.  Prior to that it started immediately when the start button was pushed.  Then a couple trips later I drove it to a store a mile away, went in the store and back out 10 minutes later, it wouldn't start at all; kept trying until the battery died, had to push it home.  Okay, so had it taken to a motorcycle dealer/repair shop that did work on Kymco scooters and explained what happened, then told them check everything and fix it.  Several days later I got a call it was done, picked it up.  Next day I started it but it took a few seconds to start again.  Then winter came, put the scooter away until this spring.  Got a new battery, went to start it and immediately started.  Great.  Drove it around maybe 20 or more minutes, turned it off.  Started it again about 10 minutes later, and I noticed it was back to taking several seconds of pushing the button before it started.  Sounds like my initial problem I had last year.  After some days of short trips still with the 3-5 seconds to start it, I stopped for a stop sign and it died.  Hardly could re-start it.  I took out the spark plug and it was fouled pretty bad (wet), so I cleaned the plug and it started okay.  Nothing has changed yet and it still takes long to start and wants to die when stopped.  I did notice that if the scooter stands for maybe three days without starting and then I start it, it starts immediately with the push of the button.  Sorry about the long description but I really don't know where to look and I sure don't want to take it back to the dealer/repair place.  Any help appreciated.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: need help with running problem
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 04:01:51 PM »
I bet this has a carburetor and the bystarter (electric choke) is defective. I suspect it is sticking open. Wait before you buy any parts until Betting & Losing or Zombie checks in on this topic. The dealer just took your money and did not fix anything.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 04:10:56 PM »
took out the spark plug and it was fouled pretty bad (wet)

Sometimes ignition elements will fail when windings/circuits warm up . . related discussion.

One potential fuel related gremlin . . .

! No longer available

bman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 01:42:29 AM »
Could be the bystarter not closing allowing extra fuel into the carb.
Pretty easy to check. Take it out, measure pin extension, apply 12 volts to the plug and see if it extends.
It also gets warm pretty quick. After you unplug the 12 volts see if it retracts to its original position when it cools down.

Had an issue with my SYM where there was a tiny hole in the fuel pump diaphragm allowing gas to go through the vacuum line to the engine fouling out the plug.
It was a 2008 that sat in the showroom for 5 years. Figure the diaphragm dried out.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:45:34 AM by bman »

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 05:21:28 AM »
Please use paragraphs, much easier for the members to read and you may get more responses. When you post as you did I don't read those.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 07:35:36 PM »
That it, Raz? You ask for help and then go all Helen Keller on us? Nyuk, nyuk! What is happening?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 11:24:42 AM »
RAZ must have sold it :'(
ALL STOCK

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()