Author Topic: PEOPLE 50 REBIRTH  (Read 4744 times)

gosku

• Start me up!
    • View Profile
Re: PEOPLE 50 REBIRTH
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 08:43:41 PM »
Hi!

Regarding CVT, check out this thread, especially the last page: http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=13300.0

The Tecnigas pipe is the good way to go! I recommend the OEM Bando belts too. Regarding Naraku parts, I have no experience with those.
I highly recommend the Malossi torque controller, part number 2512828. Throw it in for smoother gear change and acceleration.
Kymco People S 50 2T 2008
Tecnigas Next-R Pipe
Malossi torsion controller 2512828
Malossi rollers 7g
Michelin City Grip front + Heidenau K66 rear

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 09:02:21 PM »
+1 for the OEM belt, by far the best you can get. Also the Naraku variator stuff is total crap, the stock Kymco parts are much better. How many KMs are on your people?
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

spencerlrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 10:41:31 PM »
How many KMs are on your people?

roughly 13000km.. shes been badly neglected i feel like by previous owners.. took the cvt apart and from what i can tell the whole thing needs to go, variator and clutch especially

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 10:50:29 PM »
roughly 13000km.. shes been badly neglected i feel like by previous owners.. took the cvt apart and from what i can tell the whole thing needs to go, variator and clutch especially

Get really nice stuff, Polini or Malossi, or go with OEM variator parts. Like I said, the naraku CVT parts are CRAP.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

spencerlrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 11:14:14 PM »
Get really nice stuff, Polini or Malossi, or go with OEM variator parts. Like I said, the naraku CVT parts are CRAP.

ill take you're word for it.. gonna definitely go with Malossi variator kit and find the OEM half pully, fan, and kick starter key thingy

as for the clutch assembly, im refering to the "clutch" as all the parts on the right side of the CVT, i found this fly clutch and bell http://scooterpartsco.com/kymco-people-parts/kymco-people-50-2t/malossi-fly-clutch-and-bell-for-50cc-scooters ,what else would i need to purchase to fully replace the "clutch"? as seen in the naraku kits where it came fully assembled

spencerlrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 11:45:32 PM »
Hi!

Regarding CVT, check out this thread, especially the last page: http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=13300.0

The Tecnigas pipe is the good way to go! I recommend the OEM Bando belts too. Regarding Naraku parts, I have no experience with those.
I highly recommend the Malossi torque controller, part number 2512828. Throw it in for smoother gear change and acceleration.

going to skip out on the naraku and go with malossi variator and clutch.. after reading up on that link im still kind of confused on how to set up the weights and contra spring..

if i live in a place with 0 hills, all flat riding, what weight roller and what color spring would you suggest for top end preformance?? fast accelaration and being able to handle hills doesn't really matter to me

gosku

• Start me up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 07:15:41 AM »
+1 for Malossi & Polini parts  :D Go for it!

The weights and contra spring require lots of testing, it's all about trial and error. Remember that when you change something around the engine, giving it more power (better pipe, bigger jets, performance air filter, big bore kit etc.) then the way the CVT responds will change too. So the CVT upgrades should be done at the end, and their purpose is to give you the possibly best performance out of the power that you already have.

Once you buy all the stuff for the upgrades (variator, clutch, etc.) and install it, give the bike a good test run. For starters go with the rollers that will come together with the variator kit. Then if the engine will overrev, it will mean that your contra spring is too stiff / the rollers are too light. If the bike will be sluggish, it will mean that the rollers are too heavy. I would go for a soft contra spring (especially since you don't ride on hills).

I would say that you might want to leave the stock contra spring, like I did. It's very nice stuff. If your OEM parts are shot, I would buy the Malossi variator, clutch and torque controller and go with the stock spring. Then test it and the way your bike will behave will tell you if you need to change the roller's weight, and if so, whether to go up or down on the weight.
Tecnigas Next-R Pipe
Malossi rollers 7g

spencerlrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 07:51:19 AM »
The weights and contra spring require lots of testing, it's all about trial and error.

yeah i thought that there would be no straight answer for something as variable as a CVT...

i will order the parts soon and start testing and will post the results most likely.. gonna start with the malossi weights in the kit and the white spring and go from there..

thanks for the input @gosku

gosku

• Start me up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 06:08:40 PM »
Yeah but maybe I exaggerated, for example in my case I changed the rollers only one time and found the sweet spot on the first try  :P

Let us know about your results!
Tecnigas Next-R Pipe
Malossi rollers 7g

spencerlrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 04:41:41 AM »
Yeah but maybe I exaggerated, for example in my case I changed the rollers only one time and found the sweet spot on the first try  :P

Let us know about your results!
okay so i installed the malossi variator, malossi fly clutch(the one with the white springs), the malossi bell that came with it, the white malossi contra spring, malossi torsion controller, new bando belt, and a unrestricted CDI.. gave the rear pulley and torque driver a deep clean as well..

i had also bought a K&N preformance air filter but found that it didn't fit quite as snugly as the OEM box but maybe im just being paranoid idk.. left it off for the OEM box bc after popping it on the scoot wouldn't start very well/run smoothly and i couldn't figure out the right carb mixture and idle screw adjustments to get it perfect.. any thoughts on the filter situation?

as for results of the new parts im extremely pleased.. a little slower take off speed bc of the weights but i gained about 10mph in top speed overall.. went from 37 to 47 so thats pretty sweet. feels like its running a lot smoother as well.

still waiting on the exhaust to ship out.. but in the mean time, any thoughts or recommendations on what i should do next with the scoot???

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 05:24:46 AM »
The exhaust, and a 19-20mm Oko Flatslide carb.
The OKO is the cheapest carb to purchase (Ebay), and is a solid performer. 19 or 20mm will match up well w/ the pipe, and you'll probably get another 5-7mph top end.

Oh yeah... Go another gram lighter on the rollers, and you'll get that bottom end quickness back, and keep the top end. Maybe even 2 grams lighter.

I have hundreds of rollers that have maybe 3 minutes of riding on them from experimenting. It's part of the game.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 02:28:26 PM »
When you run the after market air filter, you have to re-jet the carb with larger jets.  The engine is getting more air, so it needs more fuel.  The idle adjustment and air mixture screw on the side of the carb will not be enough.

The white torque spring that came in my Malossi variator kit was too stiff.  It had 7 coils counting the end coils and approx 1.5 inch longer.  The OEM and other Malossi torque springs I have (purple and green) have 5 coils.  I put the OEM torque spring back and ran the 9gr rollers that came with the kit, works great for me.
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

spencerlrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 04:36:25 PM »

Oh yeah... Go another gram lighter on the rollers, and you'll get that bottom end quickness back, and keep the top end. Maybe even 2 grams lighter.

I have hundreds of rollers that have maybe 3 minutes of riding on them from experimenting. It's part of the game.

hopefully i'll get around to ordering some new rollers or sliders soon

spencerlrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 04:42:35 PM »
When you run the after market air filter, you have to re-jet the carb with larger jets.  The engine is getting more air, so it needs more fuel.  The idle adjustment and air mixture screw on the side of the carb will not be enough.

i figured i would definitely have to upjet due to the exhaust and now that i think about it, it makes sense for the intake as well.
a thread on the forum lead me to these pages
http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/jets_keihin_99101-116_main_round_small_and_38-xxx.htm
http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/jets_keihin_N424-74C_slow_27-xxx.htm
its a 2001 2t with the stock carb im fairly certain, just wanted to double check if you know if these would fit before i buy

haven't really gotten into pulling the carb out yet so that'll be interesting to learn how to do

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()