Author Topic: What's with all the dust?  (Read 3308 times)

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
What's with all the dust?
« on: June 18, 2015, 07:48:44 PM »
Ever notice the amount of black dust that accumulates on the rear section of our Like?mFrom the dip stick to the rear tire the accumulation of dust over the past 3 years is enough to recreate a tire. 😜 Is this something inherent with the Like or do all Kymcos do this?

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
Re: What's with all the dust?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 11:17:37 PM »
Can you show us a picture? My Like is very clean, no black dust somewhere except the exhaust outlet. Just normal road/street dust.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 11:23:45 PM »
Leave a white dinner plate on the sidewalk next to any busy road. The tire rubber is enough to make a new tire. I get the concept.

How is your tire wearing? Evenly?

It may really just be your size, and riding style combining to create a vortex behind you, and all thet dust from the road, and your bike collects.

Maybe?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 04:45:41 PM »
Tire rides fine. Nearly 10,000 miles on original tires. The majority of the dust collects on the rear wheel. It's a fine black dust similar to the texture and feel of talc powder.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 05:21:52 PM »
Here's a quick video of what I am talking about. The accumulation you see here is just after one week of riding.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 05:33:14 PM »
Either VERY dirty where you ride, or you have a slight oil leak somewhere. When you have a small oil leak, road grime sticks to that even better and its an endless cycle.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 07:50:02 PM »
No oil leak. This dust is dry dry dry. It accumulates mainly on the rear wheel and the oil filler neck and dip stick unit. This has being going on since the day I rode off the dealers lot (July 28, 2012).

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 08:08:32 PM »
No oil leak. This dust is dry dry dry. It accumulates mainly on the rear wheel and the oil filler neck and dip stick unit. This has being going on since the day I rode off the dealers lot (July 28, 2012).

Most likely road grime then, San Jose does not get too much rain so it builds up pretty bad.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 10:24:04 PM »
Brake dust.

Pull the wheel, and check it out. Might as well order new shoes first to do it all in one shot. See if you can find Malossi shoes. They are 1000 times better.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 07:39:13 AM »
The only time I see stuff like that is when it is brake dust
ALL STOCK

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 10:14:20 AM »
Both of my scooters get this accumulation.in the same place. Road grime and brake dust ?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 03:36:09 PM »
I'll give the Molassi brake pads a look. I'm getting ready to do a brake line bleed so I may as well change out the pads and check the seals.

Thanks for the recommendation Zombie.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 12:41:12 PM »
I'll give the Molassi brake pads a look. I'm getting ready to do a brake line bleed so I may as well change out the pads and check the seals.

Thanks for the recommendation Zombie.

Not sure if you can order parts of the caliper assemblies....but you can replace the whole caliper assembly, front & rear, for $150 --- which I think is an amazingly low price for such major parts. (purchasing just the pads is @$75 ---- or $150 for the whole assembly)
So many parts for my LIKE200i are priced very reasonably. (I could buy a nice used car for the price of my Honda calipers)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 05:38:30 PM »
The caliper pistons (in the small bikes) are either bakeolite or some form of epoxy. I use a bicycle pump to push them out (thru the bleeder), and Ace Hardware for the "O" ring.

If you have a square profile to the ring then you can remove it, fill the groove with grease, invert the ring (inside out), and reinstall it. I've never had an issue with either method, and I've rescued a few scoots that were completely frozen. 1000 grit in the bore as long as you do NOT remove metal, and soap, and water wash it afterwards.

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 05:02:24 PM »
At the bottom of the beltcover and at the end of the beltcover are 2 decent openings. Both holes are there to get rid of the rubber dust from the wearing belt and for ventilation purposes. Maybe part of the black dust might come from there also. If you ride hard and wear your belt from 20mm to 17mm width within 10.000km you are leaving quiet a bit of ruberdust on the roads and maybe also on the wheels/rims.  Plus road dust and brake dust.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()