Author Topic: Considering a Grand Vista  (Read 5792 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Considering a Grand Vista
« on: June 19, 2015, 04:38:46 PM »
Hello all,

I've been a long time member but it's been a while since I've posted. About five weeks ago I was in a scooter accident. A car traveling in the opposite lane as mine made the dreaded, and unexpected left hand turn into my lane. Fortunately, I turned left myself swerving my scooter -- a Yager Gt 200i into the opposite direction. The sudden action, and braking force my bike into a skid. I was knocked out upon hitting the ground. Later I leaned that I was ejected from my scooter and thrown into the other vehicle's back wheel.

I suffered four fractured ribs, fractured cartilage in my neck and bruised vocal cords, a bruised left hip bone, and my to right front tooth was snapped in half and went through my top lip (despite wearing a full face helmet). I spent four days in the hospital. That was five weeks ago. Needless to say I'm happy to be alive, and in the middle of dealing with insurance companies, medical bills and in the process of possibly getting a lawyer.

What I really miss is my scooter. It was totaled with the front forks bent. I've considered getting another Yager, however, I've always wanted to move up to a slightly bigger and faster bike. So far I'm looking at the Grand Vista. Both my with and my friends at my scooter dealership are trying to point me to the People or Like 200, but both are only 163 CC (my Yager was 175). I'd like to get something that can get above 60 MPH -- highway legal. I commute from South New Jersey into Philadelphia, PA.

I have a few hesitations about the Grand Vista. How is the space under the seat? On my Yeager I could fit a small tool bag, a heavy chain, a draw string bag holding bungie cords, and still have room for my full face helmet. Also, my Yager had security pegs for locking my helmet to a closed seat, but I haven't seen those items on a Grand Vista.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

-Wolf

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Considering a Grand Vista
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 05:36:00 PM »
Glad to hear your OK!!! The Grand Vista 250 is a great bike, super dependable engine, HUGEEEE storage under the seat, good top speed, and great mileage (65-75mpg). One thing though, if your taller than about 5'5" it's going to be a cramped ride until you chop up the seat. I'm 6'1" and my knees are in my chest riding the Grandest Of Vistas. Great scoot tho, we just sold one for $2000 it had 400mi on it just broken in.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 05:51:37 PM »
Thanks Bettin',

I think I've sat on one before and I don't remember any problems with the leg room. I'm about 5'11. Are there any security pegs for helmets? My one Yager had two for me and my wife to lock ours on.

-Wolf

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 06:11:23 PM »
I had a grand Vista 250, called grand dink over here. It was seriously abused by the time I got it, bought sight unseen(bad mistake). Anyways, I rode that thing like I stole it, 130km top speed. Needless to say, constantly zipping around at that speed cost me a new crank. But rock solid on the road. I felt quite capable on the highways.
Space under the seat, I could only get a full face in there, so topbox is a must.
Those mirrors are fragile, if you drop the scoot, it's bye-bye mirror.

Go for it.
2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 07:34:18 PM »
Thanks Xsel,

Good to know. Sounds like it has the power I'm looking for. Does anyone know about the security pegs for helmets?

-Wolf

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 12:22:03 AM »
I have both the GV and the Xciting 250.  Both have a decent under seat storage,  but I never put my helmet in there.   When open there are two pins at the hinged (front).  When closed the seat covers them.  I have the Captains Seat which is really comfortable,  but I'm 5-10 and it is a tighter fit.  Of the two models,  both have the same engine.  The GV is nimble,  but I prefer the Xciting for longer rides because it has bigger wheels.  The GV is lower and easier to put you feet on the ground.  Yes...The mirrors are an issue.  If it falls over or leans against a wall too hard the mirror base will break.  However I just JB weld the pieces together (several times) and they still function ok.  I bought a clear plastic food can about 6" in dia. And 12-14" tall.  It's covered with reflective tape and bolted to the existing rear mount.  This is where I put my helmet.  $7.00 at Walmart.  I like both of them but if I was to sell one, it would be the GV.  I have two because when one is out of commission,  I have the other one to ride because it takes about 2 weeks to get the parts.  I always recommend ordering commonly used replacement parts like the belt and brake pads,  oil drain cover, screen and o-rings.

ScooterLar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 09:20:13 AM »
I have two GVs. Great bike but terrible seat. I took the backrest off and it's better but still somewhat uncomfortable. As someone said, a total seat reconstruction is needed to make it comfortable for longer trips.
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 01:34:17 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've been hearing a lot about the seat issues. Glad to hear there are helmet pegs after all.

-Wolf

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 03:31:32 PM »
My wife had a G-Vista 250 (no problems with it) and traded for a Suzuki Burgman 200 last September.
She & I are much more pleased with the Burgman:
    Antilock brakes,       fuel injection & 80 MPG
    room for 2 helmets under the seat.
and Handles much better than the GV.

It costs $5k US but worth it to us. 

So at least take a look at it and hopefully test ride.  There probably are a few last year models at some dealers.
I got my local dealer to search the area to see who had one.

scoot safely.
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 05:50:53 PM »
Thanks Marky. The Burgman looks like a great bike, but I still want flat running boards. I loved them on my Yager. That's one of the reasons I'm looking at the GV. It's a close cousin to the Yager. Since finding a GV may be a challenge I'm open to as many kinds as brands as I can find.

-Wolf

daybeau

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 11:48:45 AM »
As a relatively tall (6'3"+) newbie (riding just over a month) to the world of motorized two-wheelers, I sat on quite a few different types of highway rated scooters (e.g. Honda Helix, Yamaha Morphus, Kymco Downtown 300i, Kymco People GT, Burgman 400, Honda Forza) and found that a used 2009 Grandvista 250 fit my frame the best. I was looking for a low-cost, fuel-efficient vehicle for my south Jersey commute (roughly 60 miles round trip from near US 40 and NJ 55 to just shy of the DE Memorial Bridge taking US 40 nearly the whole way). There is a helmet peg on the steering column and a good bit of under seat storage (I keep a couple of tools in a pouch, locking chain, hi-viz vest, and a zip bag containing a 2-piece rain suit and still have room for my soft-sided shoulder bag for books, papers, clean shirt and small towel). The previous owner had purchased a Shad top box that is really handy.

The seat is rough on my aging, arthritic tail bone, but I usually just put a cushion in place. Bumps on the road are very noticeable--whether a scooter with 14" or 16" wheels would improve that situation, I can't say. (It would probably help if I could figure out how to adjust the rear suspension.) Also, I have to slow w-a-y down for turns at intersections, but that may be due as much to my inexperience as a rider as it is to wheel size or the proximity of the bottom of the scooter to the road surface.

About the folding mirrors. The first time I tried to ride my GV, only the second time I ever tried to ride a motorbike, I laid it down, and the black mount of the left mirror snapped off. I've tried repairing it with various adhesives, but none has proved lasting. Because of the motorized folding mechanism, replacing the entire mirror assembly is really pricey compared to mirrors for just about any other type of scooter--if you can find a replacement. I'm hoping I can find a replacement for just the black mount, which is not the motorized part, for under $40. I've seen web sites listing the whole assembly at over $100--and none of the ones I've found match the color (white) of my GV.

All told, I am satisfied with my GV, especially considering the price. Hope this helps.
2009 KYMCO Grandvista 250 white (only mod besides the top case is some JB Weld trying to hold the left mirror mount together)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 02:23:14 PM »
Thanks Daybeau,

Your advice does help. I only wish the Grand Vista was available new. I'm trying to hold off buying a used bike as I like the idea of having a warranty. Like you, I live in South Jersey -- Collingswood. Have you gone to Mini-trail Bikes for service on your scooter?

I've heard about some of the issues concerning the side view mirrors too. If I get a GV, hopeful that won't be a problem.

Ride safe,

-wolf

daybeau

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 05:40:40 PM »
Hi, ScootWolf:

My wife used to help take her cousin's mopeds to Mini Trail Bikes for service and recommended the shop to me after I couldn't find anyone closer who was willing to work on KYMCO scooters. Actually, AC Cycle Center said they would take care of some things (stale gas gumming up everything, tires that needed replacing, season start up) but after having my GV 250 for two weeks, they still hadn't performed a diagnosis.

The folks at Mini Trail Bikes were friendly, seemed knowledgeable, and they even had new KYMCO scooters on display in their showroom. Within 18 hours, I had a diagnosis and estimate. All the work was completed within three days of my dropping off the scooter--and this was during the busy time of the year (start of nice weather). The only iffy facet of the trip home, the first exercise of my newly motorcycle-endorsed driver's license, was the experience of the rider.

It wasn't until a couple of days later that I popped open the seat and noticed one of the battery cover screws was missing. The next day, when I tried to put something in the top box, the entire trunk raised up as though it were on a hinge. At that point, I noticed that the bolts holding the rear handrails were pretty loose, and the bolts securing the luggage rack to the back of the scooter were missing (the only reason it was still attached was the adapter frame for the top box interlaced with the luggage shelf and was itself being held (at least partially) by two of the loose bolts holding the handrails in place. When I called them, they could not find the missing bolts and screw. If I ever go for a new KYMCO scooter, Mini Trail Bikes has the inventory, but I think I'll keep hunting around for a service shop. (Depending on who answers the phone, the service department at Lilliston Honda in Vineland, which is not far from me, may be able to handle things like tire changing in the future.)

Like you, I was interested in the KYMCO two-year warranty, and found the recent promotional financing tempting. But, the People GT could use a wind screen and more under seat storage (though it is one of the few 250cc or greater scooters with a flat floorboard). For its part, the Downtown could use a top box and something more than a decorative wind screen. And as a true newbie, I was afraid to consider seriously anything larger than a 300cc machine. I ended up spending about 3/5 of the cost of a new People GT 300i or Downtown 300i to purchase my 2009 GV 250 (with 1481 miles at the time) and get it road worthy. To me, that was acceptable for a scooter that seems to be meeting my needs so far, even without a warranty. There are are number of GV 250's still out there, and for about $500 less than I paid. (I went ahead and swallowed the premium since it came with the top box and was being sold close enough to where I live that I did not have to pay for any shipping other than a quarter tank of gas in my wife's Ranger.)
2009 KYMCO Grandvista 250 white (only mod besides the top case is some JB Weld trying to hold the left mirror mount together)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 03:20:08 AM »
Thanks Daybeau,

I haven't had any bad experiences with Mini-Trail bikes, but I know that a new bike can have loose bolts and screws. I discovered a few while doing T-CLOC checks.

Did you end up buying your GV used? Since it's been discontinued it's very difficult to find any, and I only saw one available on Craig's list.

I'm currently looking at the DT, but not pleased with the lack of flat running boards, or the wide pillion seat that would make it difficult for my wife to ride with me. I like the speed and power, and the under seat storage, among other amenities, but I feel like I'm transitioning towards a Maxi scooter and away from the Sport.

The Like 200 has the classical look that I like, but not the power. It also seems cramped with my legs/knees closer to the handle bars. Less under the seat space too.

The People 300 has the same power as the DT, but way less under the seat space. Not crazy about the lack of a windshield, or the gas cap under the seat.

Goes without saying that it's been a trying ordeal trying to decide.

-Wolf

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 08:13:03 PM »
RE: rear seat comfort... I removed the backrest and put metal screws and washers in to fill the holes (probably not the best long term solution but working for now). Comfort is pretty good.

There is the option to adjust 'load condition rear cushion' (love these translations, not), which I have not done. It's an adjustment to the spring. 3 possible positions. This is on p. 18 of the manual. I'm not sure what this means though:
'When you adjust rear cushion, the spring preload of rear cushions on either side must be the same.'
People 150 (sold)
2008 white Grand Vista 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()