Author Topic: What do these little lights do?  (Read 1610 times)

anarchyx34

• View Profile
What do these little lights do?
« on: June 24, 2015, 03:09:32 PM »
On my 2012 Super 8 there's two small light bulbs adjacent to the actual headlight bulbs. If this was a car I would know them to be "city lights" and I'm guessing the function is the same here, however I've never seen them come on nor do I see a way for them to be turned on. What do they do?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: What do these little lights do?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 04:12:45 PM »
They are running lights, but since the USA mandates that headlights always be on they put "dummy" bulbs in there that don't light up. Just get some small wedge base LEDS and install them if you want them lit.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

anarchyx34

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 01:54:16 AM »
They don't look like dummy bulbs though. I can actually see the filament. Not that I need them to work I just was wondering why they'd be included.

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 05:15:46 PM »
Those lights I believe are parking lights for bikes in non-USA countries.

I believe they are already grounded and all you need to do is hook up a 12v wire to the connector they are attached to.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

5L33P3R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 11:52:20 AM »
Hello. They are DRL's for daylight driving lights. Pretty much the same as parks lights. Here in Australia it is required for motorbikes and scooters to have their headlights on when ever on the road day and night. So to save battery by using headlights,  these low consumption lights are used.

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 02:39:24 PM »
I just replaced those bulbs with super bright LEDs and connected the wires to the battery with a switch.  At night i now get much better light output and better view of the sides of the road. Took half hour to set up and well worth it.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()