Author Topic: ignition issue - suddenly cant start scooter!!  (Read 2878 times)

SeanOaloha

• View Profile
ignition issue - suddenly cant start scooter!!
« on: November 26, 2009, 05:55:39 AM »
I have been randomly having this issue where my electric start just goes dead, it clicks but wont turn over, then I give it a few minutes and try again and it is fine, or I will kick start it and it will start fine. I am worried to get stck somewhere and cant get the damn thing going, anybody have a similiar story??
MAHALO FOR YOUR ALOHA!!

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: ignition issue - suddenly cant start scooter!!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 06:35:27 AM »
I would check the starter relay and all connections.  The clicking is most likely the relay, but it's not signaling the motor to start.  The problem is probably between the relay and the starter itself.  It might be related to all the rain you have been having!

flextrainer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 05:29:55 PM »
Have you tried jumping it across the solenoid? It could also be the starter bendix. Try taking it out and cleaning it good and check your bushing it the cvt case if it is worn it could be binding. Also check to make sure you have a good charge on your battery. Just a few things to check. Hope this helps.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 12:11:29 AM »
If it is the relay you can replace the $40.00 kymco w/ a Bosch or Cole Hersey 30 amp relay from any auto/ marine dealer for around 12 bucks.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 11:36:57 PM »
Oh...Oh...Go to Page 5 "Starter Solenoid Experiences"....May be your battery. 
I have 3 Kymcos and the weakest link may be the Kymco  battery.  I too
bought the solenoid (yes $35.00) and that wasn't it.  Always would start OK
if it was warm.  I took the old battery to Interstate and they pinpointed the
problem by checking the battery out for me.  My bike was only a year old.

SeanOaloha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 02:13:36 AM »
When I put the battery on the charger it always starts out at 80-90 percent, is it a voltage thing that causes the problem with the battery ? like it is not getting 12v for some reason. I dont have a voltage reader on the charger.
MAHALO FOR YOUR ALOHA!!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 05:53:07 AM »
Hey sean, A battery charger won't tell you anything about the overall state of the battery. When you see the 80-90% it is showing the amount of voltage in the batt. ie9.6-10.8v. It is the amperage that matters. A load tester will give you that reading. You can have a dead battery that will still show 12v. I would suggest you spend 50 bucks and get a gell battery. It will last 2-3 times as long as an acid type, and pay for itself. Your cdi works off 12v input, and if there is a short inside your batt. your stator cannot produce enough voltage to trigger spark. one way to confirm this is to put a socket in a cordless drill, and use that as an electric starter. you can run it on the flywheel nut. you will need a volt meter hooked up to the 12 positive at the battery. with the spark plug removed run the drill and note the voltage. If it at or below 10v the scoot cannot run. This would be my bet! You can then disconnect the battery, and see if the voltage comes up above 12v. should be 13.5-14.5. if you still have low voltage could be a bad stator, regulator, or a wiring problem. take it one step at a time and you will find it. Ps. Have you checked the main fuse on the battery?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 09:50:54 AM »
Hey sean, A battery charger won't tell you anything about the overall state of the battery. When you see the 80-90% it is showing the amount of voltage in the batt. ie9.6-10.8v. It is the amperage that matters. A load tester will give you that reading. You can have a dead battery that will still show 12v. I would suggest you spend 50 bucks and get a gell battery. It will last 2-3 times as long as an acid type, and pay for itself.

Are you sure about this longevity? Acid battery on a scooter typically lasts 4 years (you have to replace it at the end of 4th year). This means 8-12 years, which is, I think, a bit too long?
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 09:27:44 PM »
I guess it all depends on the BRAND of battery. The standard Yoko sold here is nothing more than a generic 12v lead acid batt. I have owned my scoot for 2-1/2 years and have put 1 "dealer" battery in when I first bought it, and 1 "dealer" battery in about a year ago. 3-4 months ago I bought an Interstate gell cell that has a lifetime warranty for $48.00. Granted it will not last MY lifetime, (who knows) but it is a pro rated warranty. A few dollars every few years will only be a plus. I also have a Honda NC/50 that has had a gell 6v in it for 5 years. I use that scoot about 10-20 hrs. a month. Truth is you do "get what you pay for"

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 09:41:12 PM »
Thanks Zombie....Your reply #6 covers what I was told over at Interstate.
I just couldn't remember the technical term.   I changed over my battery with
another I had that was about 2 years old.  Heck...It was almost dead too.
I guess that's why I thought it was the solenoid.  This happened last June/July.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 01:09:21 AM »
Interstate distributes a good line of batteries. I will eventually look at the casing to see who the manufacturer is. Hope that is all that seanoloha has to deal with.

SeanOaloha

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 02:08:36 AM »
Thank you guys for the input, I have been working so hard I have not had time for the scooter, but it is working most of the time so I never bothered to check the main fuse. I will try to test battery and then update the forum!!
MAHALO FOR YOUR ALOHA!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()