Author Topic: Speed, breaking in, speedometer...  (Read 5406 times)

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
Speed, breaking in, speedometer...
« on: June 30, 2015, 08:45:16 PM »
I've got 500 or so miles on the scooter. Curious to see if I was off in my estimates. I thought I would have close to 65 mph for a ceiling  on the Like. I have read many say speed improves as the engine gets broken in. I would assume 500 miles has to be close to fully broken in (maybe I'm wrong?).
The arterial roads I must use to get around anywhere (other than my own subdivision) have speeds that are posted at 50 to 55 mph. Obviously the traffic flow exceeds these figures.
How many of you don't see the high side of 57 or 58 mph (as indicated by the speedo)? I don't... A gentle acceleration all the way to open throttle yields me high fifties and no more. I am 180 pounds (plus or minus two or three pounds one way or the other).
First off I wonder what the "real speed" is if the scooter's speedometer is showing 58 mph? I don't have a mounted GPS to test it; using a phone app while riding, I don't think so :)
Was my 65 mph pie in the sky? Or will the little engine give more after a few more miles?
I thought I was thorough in my pre-purchase scrutiny, but not having test rides makes it real tough.
Love to hear what other (with a Like 200i) are getting from their WOT.

Vintage MX

• View Profile
Re: Speed, breaking in, speedometer...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 10:52:54 PM »
That's about as fast as my Like 200 would go. The speedometer agreed to the mile per hour with my GPS.   On a calm day it would do 58. Into a headwind, it was good for 50 and I saw 65 with a good tailwind. When I had that scooter, I weighed about 235 pounds. I eventually got a Vespa GTS 250 that is good for a corrected 72 mph. Loved my Kymco but I needed a little more speed. 
2011 Like 200i, 2002 KTM 200 EXC and a garage full of 1970s Motocrossers and Trials Bikes.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 01:25:08 AM »
At 270 and 6'3" I'm like a giant sail in the wind - + added a couple inches of foam to the seat so I stick up into the slipstream even further.
9000 miles on my LIKE200iLX - mostly stock except for an Iridium NGK plug and some Dr Pulley sliders.
On a slight downgrade I can see 63+/-.......55>60 mph at level.
"Cruising at 65mph".....is likely a salesman's dream.

For the weight and tire size and wheelbase - 60+ is probably a bit risky in any event.
Some do, but I never ride at WOT....40MPH is @ my comfort zone on this small scooter.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 02:50:54 AM »
In the freeway im doing 55/60 and can get close to 70's on a flat road always. At 55 is perfectly fine. Rides very well and gives a extra punch when needed. Brakes play a big part giving a lot of brake power.

Mine its a 125 but seems its top speed close to the 163!

Just got sliders windshield and a iridium plug. I weight 190 and im 5'8".
My bike is 2000mi right now but got similar speeds from day one.

atxscooterguy

• Two Wheels is Better than Four
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 12:56:49 PM »
600 miles on my like, 60 is about as fast as it will go, and when I'm going that speed you better believe I'm hanging on to those handlebars tight! It's like a death grip!
'89 Honda CBR 600
'14 Kymco Like 200i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 02:08:08 PM »
It's gonna take a lot more than 500 miles to break in any Kymco. You can figure you are getting close around 2000 miles.....

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 05:12:05 PM »
600 miles on my like, 60 is about as fast as it will go, and when I'm going that speed you better believe I'm hanging on to those handlebars tight! It's like a death grip!
THIS is the noise I make when doing 60 on my LIKE....
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 05:14:05 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 01:25:13 AM »
I replaced the rear gears with 15% taller gears in my 2010 Kymco Yager GT 200i (174.5 cc), and the bike hits 86 MPH now. There's no reason the Like 200i can't do the same (or close to it). I wanted to be able to cruise at 65 MPH at 6500 RPM, but it's actually 62 MPH at 6500 RPM... likely because the Gates Boost+ belt is a bit narrower than an OEM belt. I can cruise around town (speed limits up to 40 MPH) and the engine never gets over 5000 RPM.

Here's what I did:
1) Do a hard break-in. Don't baby the engine. You've got to get those rings to seal extremely well to get good compression. If you did baby the engine when breaking it in, take it out and thrash it... it won't be as good as it would have been if you'd done a hard break-in, but it'll improve ring seal. The best way (in our case) is to put heavy weights in your variator so the engine has to pull really hard at lower than normal RPMs, then take it out on the highway (preferably one with gentle but long hills) and blast up the hills with the engine pulling hard, top the hill and take the engine up close to the rev limiter, then vary the engine speed on the way back down the hill, including slapping the throttle completely shut and letting engine braking go on for a time from top speed. Do it in the early morning hours so there's no traffic, so you can vary your speed up and down, stop and accelerate, etc. After 50 or so miles of this, you should see better ring seal.

2) Pulstar HE1HT9 spark plug. I tried iridium, copper core, etc., but had a rough idle and not as much "oomph" as I get out of the Pulstar. I'm really impressed with the Pulstar. Expensive, but worth it, in my opinion.

3) LiquiMoly Ceratec. This coats the hot sliding-friction parts of the engine with a low-friction ceramic coating... meaning the ring / cylinder interface. This makes for extremely low blow-by and better compression. Only use this after your engine is broken in... 1500 miles or so should do it (once you no longer see tiny metal flakes in the drained engine oil). Use it for 1800 miles (3 oil changes for me), 60 ml per oil change.

4) Tungsten Disulfide. This coats the entire interior of the engine with one of the most lubricious materials known to man. Only do this after you've used the Ceratec. I put in 8.5 grams of 0.6 micron WS2 in each engine oil change, and after my new rear gears are fully worn in, I'll use 1.75 grams in the gear oil.

5) Valve lash. Adjust it 0.01 mm tighter than factory specs. In my case, I adjusted it to 0.09 mm instead of 0.1 mm. Not a lot of difference, but it very slightly advances valve timing, and gives a tiny bit more valve lift.

6) 20 gram Dr. Pulley sliders. The 17.5 gram OEM rollers and 18 gram Dr. Pulley sliders I'd tried were too light and the engine would hit the rev limiter even when the throttle wasn't fully open. Even the 20 gram sliders are a bit too light. I'll go to 21 grams when these wear out, but I think 20.5 grams would be just about perfect, so I might end up buying the 21 gram sliders and Dremeling a bit.

7) Gates Boost+ kevlar belt

8) I extended the torque cam grooves in the clutch a bit, and shaved ~1/2 mm off each sheave face on the clutch and variator for a slightly wider gear ratio. I also corrected a manufacturing defect in the clutch whereby the clutch swing-arms would swing inward and stick in their anti-rattle dot channels. I widened the channels just enough that the clutch swing arms could fully seat, but can swing out easily without sticking. That makes the speed at which the clutch engages much more consistent. I also polished and greased all the pivot points in the clutch so there's no friction to make things stick.

9) Hybrid ceramic bearings. I put micro-polished and WS2-coated hybrid ceramic bearings in the rear gears, clutch and wheels... the thing rolls insanely easily now.

10) I use synthetic engine oil, gear oil and grease.

I've got an order in for a Dr. Pulley HiT clutch. I'm going to adjust it for a very low engagement speed (2800 RPM engine, 1000 RPM clutch), with little slip. That'll reduce the wasted energy converted to heat of clutch engagement, make the clutch last longer, and make low-speed riding more controllable.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 01:52:32 AM by Yager200i »

atxscooterguy

• Two Wheels is Better than Four
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 01:59:34 PM »
THIS is the noise I make when doing 60 on my LIKE....

Hilarious Stig. I feel the same way! Feels like the bike is just about to come apart or something lol.
'89 Honda CBR 600
'14 Kymco Like 200i

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 03:15:58 PM »
First I am holding on to both hand grips at 57 mph :)
Second I may never "Break in the engine I always sell the bike too quick.
Yager, If I could do any of that stuff you wrote about (myself) I would open a Scooter Store :)
Maybe I will just start throwing hints out there (so Momma can hear them) about really liking the Downtown :)

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 02:52:49 AM »
 You almost feel the engine breaking in, once it gets above 600-800 miles. It will hit its stride around 1000-1200 miles. With stock parts, I never saw over 58 mph (GPS) at sea level and no wind. With the new sliders, I have seen 60-62 mph no wind. The LIKE really moves though, with a 20 mph tailwind.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 06:29:36 AM »
I've had my Like to an indicated 63 mph or there abouts. I can only do this on occasion on a long stretch of level road. Why it can't do it every time is a mystery to me. I don't go much above 50 mph for the most part because above 55 mph the scooter sounds like it's at its limit.

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 10:43:14 PM »
First I am holding on to both hand grips at 57 mph :)
Second I may never "Break in the engine I always sell the bike too quick.
Yager, If I could do any of that stuff you wrote about (myself) I would open a Scooter Store :)
Maybe I will just start throwing hints out there (so Momma can hear them) about really liking the Downtown :)

Heh, I took a long ride today after changing the engine and gear oil, so I could distribute the tungsten disulfide throughout the engine and gears... I was tucked down behind the windscreen, riding with one hand. The other was pulled in to reduce air resistance. At speed, you don't really need both hands. You've got plenty of time to get your hands on the handlebars because you keep a good following distance, and the handlebars want to stay straight due to the wheel spinning. Just lean where you want to go.

That WS2 is good stuff... I'm now at 85.642 MPG, that's about 10 MPG above my previous best, and nearly 20 MPG above my lifetime average, which is low because I thrashed the bike when it was new, and was only getting about 55 MPG.

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 10:14:23 AM »
I love reading the forum posts here. I do wish I had learned more about DIY mechanics along the way. Always having to bring the bike to someone you don't learn, and you are never sure what you asked to have done was done. Maybe 63 isn't too late and I will use the Like 200i as my entry into the world of "Home Wrenching"? I could try doing some of the stuff Yager was posting about. But it's more likely I will just keep bring the bikes into the dealer :(
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 10:40:28 PM by PapaSoldTheHarley »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 02:11:13 PM »
I love reading the forum posts here. I do wish I had learned more about DIY mechanics along the way. Always having to bring the bike to someone you don't learn, and you are never sure what you asked to have done was done. Maybe 63 isn't too late and I will use the Like 200i as my entry into the world of "Home Wrenching"? I could try doing some of the stuff Yager was posting about. But it's more likely I will just keep bring the books into the dealer :(
Papa, hold the phone here!! :-)
I knew nothing about scooters when I bought my LIKE200i.
With a handful of dollar table tools of the corrrct size....you too can do a whole bunch of normal maintenance on your LIKE200i.
Engine oil, gear oil, brakes, brake fluid, bulbs, top cases, valve lash adjustment or checks, spark plug changes. That takes care of darn near everything your LIKE200i is going to need during your ownership years.
Ask a question here, we have the answers.. .or will make up something pretty darn believable!! :-)
There's a bunch of how-to's in the LIKE200i threads....or, if you can't find them...ask, we can point you to them.
Believe me..... if I can do this stuff...most anyone with opposing thumbs can do it!
The LIKE200i is very easy to do normal servicing on....a darn shame to pay somebody else.
Plus, it's actually kinda fun....makes you feel like a NASA technician.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()