Author Topic: Well, I kept the LIKE200i but....  (Read 5704 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Well, I kept the LIKE200i but....
« on: July 11, 2015, 11:29:07 AM »
Myroad too expensive and no dealer support here for any big Kymco products.
Silverwing load capacity too small (nott much more than my LIKE200i)
For two-up riding with 270lb and ,130lb wife.....it is down to the Majesty or a 400 Burgman (which carries more than the 650!)
Not liking the Majesty because it cannot be purchased with ABS.... a major failing in my opinion. But if it is head shoulders better than the Burgman......

Opinions please!

But...... the Forza is sold and bought this new left-over Burgman 400 ABS tonight.
Been shopping for several weeks - finally found one  at a price that seemed very good for a new unit, and wasn't 400 miles away!
Would have liked to buy local - but even after my $130 delivery fee for the Burgman from a few counties away, I'm still saving $2K.

Keeping the LIKE200i for my work and winter commuter ...no plans to ever sell it, now.
The Majesty IS a handsome scooter!....but I wanted ABS. Strange that Yamaha couldn't offer this - maybe they do overseas?
 And was eyeing 2 NOS Silver Wings 400 miles distant with very good prices.....
Any way...hope to ride the little Kymco - and the big Burgman into my sunset.
Going to miss the Forza - rode it to work for the last time today. Great scooter. Correct color, too! (Ferrari Red~!)

Also, bought a new puppy to replace the little guy we lost last Nov., after 13 yrs.
Stig
PS: all those Forza pix you folks put up with, helped sell it very quickly!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 01:43:33 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
Re: burgman or majesty, not myroad
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 01:10:43 PM »
I hear that the Suzuki ( why does everyone only call them Burgmans ? Does the 'German' sound higher quality than the Japanese ? )are bulky and cumbersome with poor gas mileage (partly related to the excess weight ) .

Person I know that has the Yamaha Majesty (400) loves it and wants to buy a newer one.
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 06:20:27 PM »
How about a bmw c600 or a tmax 400 thought of those also? Im not really considering budget cause im not aware their price in the us. Here a burgman is close to those.. u c a lot of bmw's and not any burgmans 650

Enviado desde mi SM-G920I mediante Tapatalk

Doc Wheezer

• Silently riding armed through the Mojave Desert.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 05:30:59 PM »
Stig,
Check out these two forums, I think you will find a lot of information about the Burgman 400. 

http://burgmanusa.com/

http://burgmanriders.com/forum/

How about a used Kymco 500 Exciting ri  abs, they aren't much harder to work on than your current 200like.

Ps. Did you receive your jacket from the UK yet?

Doc

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 09:47:58 PM by Doc Wheezer »

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 10:46:04 PM »
IMO this would be a bad time to abandon "Big Red".

I rode across the country on my Swing and it was effortless. Not to mention dealers have a glut of old "new" SW's hanging around. Honda quality in a scoot that you rarely here bad things about. Dated ? Maybe or they just have it right and why screw with what works.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 03:42:36 AM »
If Swing means a silverwing, there's a few around here leftovers and you could get a screamin deal with cash being flashed. Talkin new old stock.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 12:30:56 PM »
IMO this would be a bad time to abandon "Big Red".

I rode across the country on my Swing and it was effortless. Not to mention dealers have a glut of old "new" SW's hanging around. Honda quality in a scoot that you rarely here bad things about. Dated ? Maybe or they just have it right and why screw with what works.

AMAC
AMAC, Thanx for your reply.
Nearly the same argument can be made for the 400 Burgman...3 1/2  yrs on now.
My issues are: load capacity is 400+ ,on the Burgman.....less on th SW. MPGs better on Burg.....lighter to handle on road and in garage.
I know load limits set by manufacturers are ignored or discounted.....but I do not want to pay good.money for my final scooter....knowing my wife and I are motoring around ---- over the stipulated weight limit.
Yes, might be able to get a new SW ,350 miles distant, for $2K less than the Burgman...but the above still applies.
STIG
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 04:03:41 PM »
AMAC, Thanx for your reply.
Nearly the same argument can be made for the 400 Burgman...3 1/2  yrs on now.
My issues are: load capacity is 400+ ,on the Burgman.....less on th SW. MPGs better on Burg.....lighter to handle on road and in garage.
I know load limits set by manufacturers are ignored or discounted.....but I do not want to pay good.money for my final scooter....knowing my wife and I are motoring around ---- over the stipulated weight limit.
Yes, might be able to get a new SW ,350 miles distant, for $2K less than the Burgman...but the above still applies.
STIG

Hey safety first, I'm not a fan of overloading.
Can't go wrong with the burgman I just have a soft spot for my old Swing. I never rode two-up so load wasn't a factor.

Best of luck with whatever you decide on.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 05:53:54 PM »
I picked up a Majesty a couple of months ago.  I got it new for under $5100 OTD. It was a leftover 2012 model.  It's a nice scooter.  I have no personal experience with the Burgman.  Here's what I like and dislike about the Majesty.

Price
Nimble handling. 
Good underseat storage.
Brakes not linked
26,600mi valve adjustment interval

Dislikes:
Handlebars too low.  I have to move my knees to avoid hitting them in tight turns.  I'm 6-2, 34" inseam
No ABS.  Not that big of a deal for me.
Body work makes it difficult to attach Bungees or tie downs.

We bought it because my wife really felt comfortable on the back. 

Here's a pic.  I added a Givi Tail trunk.  The stock Givi mounting kit mounts the tail trunk too far forward for the passenger so I used the Majesty mounting kit and universal mounting plate to position it a bit farther back.

If I where you I'd ride, or at least sit on both of them.  You might find one much more comfortable than the other.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Well, I kept the LIKE200i but....
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 01:50:34 AM »
I picked up a Majesty a couple of months ago.  I got it new for under $5100 OTD. It was a leftover 2012 model.  It's a nice scooter.  I have no personal experience with the Burgman.  Here's what I like and dislike about the Majesty.

Price
Nimble handling. 
Good underseat storage.
Brakes not linked
26,600mi valve adjustment interval

Dislikes:
Handlebars too low.  I have to move my knees to avoid hitting them in tight turns.  I'm 6-2, 34" inseam
No ABS.  Not that big of a deal for me.
Body work makes it difficult to attach Bungees or tie downs.

We bought it because my wife really felt comfortable on the back. 

Here's a pic.  I added a Givi Tail trunk.  The stock Givi mounting kit mounts the tail trunk too far forward for the passenger so I used the Majesty mounting kit and universal mounting plate to position it a bit farther back.
If I where you I'd ride, or at least sit on both of them.  You might find one much more comfortable than the other.
NO test rides of new scoots 'round these parts....but the Burgman's adjustable backrest moved enough to get me comfortable.
ALL big scoots should have motor-bike type handle bars like the Forza does! Soon as I got it home, I loosened the bolts and rolled the grips right up above my knees by several inches! Perfect fit after that!
Nice Majesty you have - but was undone by the lack of ABS for us.
Thanks for the pix.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 04:20:14 AM »
Congrats on the new scoot, what color is it? Pic above is from an ad. You should never need to replace the bely on that badboy. How do you like the power of a 400 vs a 300/163cc?

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 04:45:32 AM »
Congrats on the Burgy! You just enjoy the heck out of it, and keep us updated on the ride it delivers you.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 05:15:02 PM »
Sweet ride there Stig. You and your wife can now ride out to watch many sunsets together.

I'm curious are there any electrical ports for things like cell phones and GPS units?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 12:45:41 AM »
Sweet ride there Stig. You and your wife can now ride out to watch many sunsets together.

I'm curious are there any electrical ports for things like cell phones and GPS units?
Not a clue about outlets.....it has been a year or so since I've seen one in the flesh.
I just need room under the seat for my cardboard McDonald's cup holder thing, and helmets and stuff.
My salesman is bringing it tomorrow, before lunch he said.
I told him I'd be in the sleeping bag in the driveway....waiting....not to back the trailer over me.
(still working on the words to use to call back the local dealer who thought he sold me one. I asked for his best OTD price. He gave it to me --- they did not budge on the $8K list price. The dealer 90 miles away dropped $2K with an "internet price". Add $130 to deliver it. This is the 3rd vehicle I've bought using an internet price)
Again, remarked to myself how well the LIKE is running on my ride home from work today.
Decided: It's a keeper --- not that I'd get much of anything for it 'round these parts.
Will post what I find when I go snooping over the scoot tomorrow.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 12:55:49 AM »
Maybe I missed something Stig.

What made you give up the Honda? I see the attributes you like in the Suz. but isn't everything a trade off? Why didn't you get the Suz. in the first place?

I thought you were head over heals for the Honda.

Edit:
now I see. The Burgman came with a radar dome. That explains all my suspicions. (n.o  s.uch  a.gency, huh?)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 12:58:27 AM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()