Author Topic: Valve adjustment due?  (Read 2477 times)

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
Valve adjustment due?
« on: July 14, 2015, 10:26:07 PM »
  I have a 2012 GTI300. It currently has 3500 miles on it. I've changed the rollers to Dr Pulley sliders (14g), and changed the engine and rear end oil several times using full synthetic. The scooter is running like a top and I'm very pleased with it. The question is about valve adjustment. At what point should I check it? If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or check it anyway?
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i AB

beermak

• View Profile
Re: Valve adjustment due?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 02:43:46 AM »
Im in the same page!! Id like to hear from someone also...

Enviado desde mi SM-G920I mediante Tapatalk

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 03:18:54 AM »

the book says every 6,000 miles or 10,000 km.  , I did mine at 40,000 km., and it was out very little,. now at 60,000 km., I will get to do it again ,soon ???  no big hurry,  will let you know how much to set it again, I think it runs better every year, it will be easy this time with a # 2 robinson screw driver with the end out, or just use a # "screw with a bend in the middle  a lot easier to make ,.  2011 downtown   de dee

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
not sure about this
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 01:34:57 PM »
I have over 10,000 on mine now and I am considering checking the valves on my GT.

ps: deedee, I have never heard of a Robinson screw driver. What is it?.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 12:48:58 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 03:15:23 PM »
  you should find robinson screws at home depot, look at 3 inch deck screws #8 or # 10 size, they should have square holes to drive them in,  A # 2 robinson is a red handle screw driver,.  with a 3 mm. square tip,. 

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
another question for deedee pertains to OP
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 12:47:50 PM »
Deedee, when you adjust a valve, you loosen the lock nut and turn adjuster tip in, or out for proper clearence.
Are you saying the recess on #2 Robinson screwdriver fits the adjuster tip perfectly making it easier to make adjustment?.
If so, then I understand where you are coming from.
ps: What did you mean when you said "with the end out"?.
thanks boo
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 12:50:36 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 05:31:10 PM »

the tip of the screw driver has to be removed , so it is just as easy to use a screw,  get a 3 inch and bend it in the middle so you can hold it, or get a short one and screw a Mar connecter on the end, ( mar connecter for # 10 wire black ) if you cant find robertson screws there,. I can send you some, it is a canadian screw

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 11:59:51 AM »
  the book says every 6,000 miles or 10,000 km.  , I did mine at 40,000 km., and it was out very little,. now at 60,000 km., I will get to do it again ,soon ???  no big hurry,  will let you know how much to set it again, I think it runs better every year, it will be easy this time with a # 2 robinson screw driver with the end out, or just use a # "screw with a bend in the middle  a lot easier to make ,.  2011 downtown   de dee

Dear DeeDee,

Would you kindly take a photo of your modified screw driver and upload here so others can benefit from it?
I'm close to checking the valves on mine and I want to be prepared. :)

Thank you!
Norbert
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 08:18:40 PM »
You know, in all the years I adjusted VW valves, and now scooter valves....I never had a tool to use on that center square headed screw that is in the middle of the 10mm (?) nut....all of which is moved a bit to adjust the valves.

As my old Sgt. used to say, "Youse gentlemens is over-thinking this thing!"
I just held  that center/square screw with my fingers and snugged up the locking nut with a box wrench. . then checked again with the feeler blade. I guess the advantage to putting a tool on that center screw is that it might keep it from moving a fraction when you snug up the locking nut. With a bit of oil on the lock-nut & adj. screw mine tend not to move in my fingers when tightened.

Just sayin'.......you CAN do it without a visit to Home Depot.
Save your $ for Dunkin Donuts.
Stig
PS: mrmike - you've changed both oils several times in 3500 miles!??
Are you a Virgo like me? (you know, over on the Honda Forza/PCX forum, - that kind of thing will get you beat up!...That Foza was smooth as silk - but some of the owners were ....forgettable.)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 08:24:09 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 02:21:02 PM »
PS: mrmike - you've changed both oils several times in 3500 miles!??
Are you a Virgo like me? (you know, over on the Honda Forza/PCX forum, - that kind of thing will get you beat up!...That Foza was smooth as silk - but some of the owners were ....forgettable.)
[/quote]

Stig

I spent 35 years working for DOD as a civilian mechanic, and 31 years in the Army Reserves in maintenance. They got me really PM (preventative maintenance) oriented. I change oil and filters in both my cars, scooter, garden tractor, lawn movers, snow thrower, and pressure washer at least once a year regardless of hours or miles. Living in central New York state and being 71 years old limit my riding time weather wise, so I don't rack up a lot of miles. I also use strictly full synthetic oil. It's probably overkill, but it won't hurt, and I really enjoy working on my own equipment.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 02:27:38 PM by mrmike »
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i AB

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()