Author Topic: 250 won't hold a charge, with new battery!  (Read 6547 times)

AaronPDX

• View Profile
250 won't hold a charge, with new battery!
« on: July 15, 2015, 12:25:06 AM »
Used 2008 GV 250, such a pretty white bike but problems from the get-go with holding charge. At first I assumed it was the battery. The previous owner came out and replaced it with a new one. Nice! But problems persist. It seems to need a trickle charge weekly, which seems nutty. I'm riding it daily and expect much better from Kymco (never had this problem with my late People 150!).

Has anyone experienced this? Do I have a lemon with a bad charging system? Any info on this would be appreciated! (Had to have it jumpstarted today to get home, and blew a fuse (and maybe worse) on the attached trickle charger pigtail cable in the process --I had jumpers connected to the pigtail cable, and then chained those jumpers to car jumper cables. Did not work! Only successfully jumpstarted it after unscrewing and exposing the battery and directly connecting the car jumper cables, without chaining. It's now back on the trickle charger, but how long before it leaves me stranded again?)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 12:37:26 AM by AaronPDX »
People 150 (sold)
2008 white Grand Vista 250

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: 250 won't hold a charge, with new battery!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 02:14:35 AM »
Hi there Aaron, get a volt meter on the battery while the scooter is running. The 250 should have about 13.5v at idle and over 14v when revved up. I had to replace the stator and regulator, at different times, on my 250. The stator is a bitchhhhh to change, regulator easy to change.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 12:50:16 AM »
Late thanks, Carter! I just tested it with my old RadioShack (remember them?) analog meter and it registered exactly 12.5 V DC. Revving didn't seem to change the reading. This was just after returning home from a brief ride though; should I test it after trickle charging it to maximum? Or is this enough to conclude that it's not at high enough charge?
People 150 (sold)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 01:14:38 AM »
It's not charging. Go to the AC volt setting (250), and measure across the stator outputs. Disconnect them from the bike first.
If the reading stays at one voltage the stator is bad. If it varies with throttle the rectifier is bad.

I never heard of a second hand "lemon". How does that work?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 03:39:33 AM »
Yeah second what z man said. I have a sum rv250 regulator, that I wired for the Kymco 250 for sale if you want to try that out. My stator went bad also, you should cross your fingers it's the regulator the stator is buried on these engines.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 05:26:14 AM »
Thanks Zombie and Carter.
I am an engine illiterate, so I will dig out the maintenance manual and see if I can make sense of what you're advising!
People 150 (sold)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 04:00:30 PM »
There are three wires out of the stator assembly. One is the trigger for the CDI. I think it is blue/yellow stripe.

The other two are your voltage out. Disconnect them from the bike, and while running put a multi meter across them (set for ac250 volt). you should see voltage around 150ac. Double check this number cause I'm not sure... But when you rev the bike you should see the voltage go up. If not the stator is bad. If yes then the rectifier is bad.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 04:35:03 PM »
There are three wires out of the stator assembly. One is the trigger for the CDI. I think it is blue/yellow stripe.

The other two are your voltage out. Disconnect them from the bike, and while running put a multi meter across them (set for ac250 volt). you should see voltage around 150ac. Double check this number cause I'm not sure... But when you rev the bike you should see the voltage go up. If not the stator is bad. If yes then the rectifier is bad.

The 250 is a little different Z, it has a full phase stator with 3 ac wires. The spark pickup has two, and the cdi runs off DC 12v. The service manual has all the tests in there, sounds like you got one Aaron. If you would like to test out that regulator, it's a fairly easy install just seat bucket pull. I live in Lake O / SW Portland hit me up if you want to try it out, if it fixes it kick me a few bucks if it doesn't then you need to order a stator.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 08:16:49 PM »
I always count n B&L to catch my Alzheimer-s... What I say here always applies to something but not necessarily what you have.

Now where'd I leave my pills??

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 12:18:34 AM »
LOL. Hey, thanks Carter. Is there a time this weekend that could work for you?
People 150 (sold)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 07:37:22 AM »
LOL. Hey, thanks Carter. Is there a time this weekend that could work for you?
I'm headed out this weekend for some scooter backpacking, be back late Sunday but most likely too tired to walk. I'm usually off early Monday and could run it by.

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 04:49:03 PM »
Good day to get out town! Monday should work; let me know when you're back. Thanks!
People 150 (sold)

Bill G

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 02:10:17 AM »
Greetings.  I am new here.  I have a 2005 Grand Vista 250 which has developed a charging problem.  Downloaded the shop manual and did the tests:

Regulator/Rectifier passes the conductivity tests for the diodes using a VOM.  However, the battery is not charging.  No increase in the DC voltage while revving the engine.  The test for the AC alternator is somewhat confusing.  Of course it is a three-phase alternator.  The manual says the resistance between any of the yellow wires to any of the others should be 0.6 to 1.6 ohms.  I am getting about 3.3 ohms between any/all of them.  No conductivity between ground and any of the yellow wires.  I am not sure this slight difference in resistance is material, HOWEVER:

When measuring the AC voltage between any of the yellow wires to others while the scooter is running, but not connected to the regulator/rectifier, then I am getting about 5 volts AC between two of them, and about 20 volts on the third.  I would expect to see the same results between any of the three.  So, perhaps the issue is the alternator (If that's what it's called in motorcycle-talk)

Other than the alternator itself, I am also suspecting the regulator part of the seemingly dual purpose regulator/rectifier.  I am hesitant to go buy a new rectifier if the problem actually winds up being the alternator.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-Bill

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 10:28:49 PM »
Greetings.  I am new here.  I have a 2005 Grand Vista 250 which has developed a charging problem.  Downloaded the shop manual and did the tests:

Regulator/Rectifier passes the conductivity tests for the diodes using a VOM.  However, the battery is not charging.  No increase in the DC voltage while revving the engine.  The test for the AC alternator is somewhat confusing.  Of course it is a three-phase alternator.  The manual says the resistance between any of the yellow wires to any of the others should be 0.6 to 1.6 ohms.  I am getting about 3.3 ohms between any/all of them.  No conductivity between ground and any of the yellow wires.  I am not sure this slight difference in resistance is material, HOWEVER:

When measuring the AC voltage between any of the yellow wires to others while the scooter is running, but not connected to the regulator/rectifier, then I am getting about 5 volts AC between two of them, and about 20 volts on the third.  I would expect to see the same results between any of the three.  So, perhaps the issue is the alternator (If that's what it's called in motorcycle-talk)

Other than the alternator itself, I am also suspecting the regulator part of the seemingly dual purpose regulator/rectifier.  I am hesitant to go buy a new rectifier if the problem actually winds up being the alternator.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Sounds like it is your stator, the test for the regulator rectifier is pretty good. All it consists of is here large diodes to convert each AC generator coil (there are three) to do. You should use the oh. Reading to discover if these are doing the trick. Honestly, if you can afford it I would replace both as a pair. Aaron, I got back tonight where do you want to meet up tomorrow?

-Bill

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 04:43:32 PM »
Carter: I am available today until 12 and then from 2 to 6:30.  I can meet you wherever is most convenient for you! (I'm in SE, myself.)

Cheers!
People 150 (sold)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()